Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average. Display Modes
Old 15-01-2007, 14:02   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride is one of the Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (Quats), and not particularly dangerous.
I believe it may be effective against HIV & Hepatitis, as well as mould.

Impact” MSDS:
http://www.traskresearch.com/impact_msds.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 14:47   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride is one of the Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (Quats), and not particularly dangerous. I believe it’s effective against HIV & Hepatitis

Ahhh... so it's good for you single guys heading out for a night on the town.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:01   #33

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
No no no no ... you dont want to just kill the mold, you want to remove it. Simply killing the mold (Iwith chlorides, etc.) will leave the (bleached) dead cells in place only to become the nutrient source for subsequent other species of mold, etc.

Caustics (lye, Sodium silicate based detergents, lye soap, Sodium hydroxide, TSP, etc. etc.) will DISSOLVE the cells and enable you to safely remove the cellular debris. Caution: most 'caustics' are powerful chemicals that will also dissolve your skin and other bodyparts so you should exercise extreme caution when using by wearing 'protection': rubber gloves, goggles, weather gear">foul weather gear, etc..
Standard caustic in farming/dairy is simple lye-soap, etc.

Most of the molds/mildew found on boats is usually an Aspergilis species, some are quite toxic/pathogenic to the respiratory tract, etc. of humans who have such sensitivity. Another 'potent' species is Stochybatris Autra (the same black stuff that thrives on wet basement walls .... very very BAD species). Never clean DRY mold/mildew as you will simply disperse the spores (and the spores are just as or are more dangerous than the parent cells), but do wet it down with a clorox (5% sodium hypocholrite) 'spritz', let it die, THEN use 'wet' methods to remove/dissolve, etc.

Our 'ancestors' had this problem totally solved by 'whitewashing' everything in sight .... a modern equivalent would be to apply a caustic detergent by simply spraying on and let it DRY. Mold/mildew spores wont propagate on 'whitewashed'/caustic surfaces.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:04   #34

Quat ...

Quats, gluteraldehyde, and other formaldehyde based 'cocktails' are being rapidly replaced in the biopharma industry because of additive exposure risk .... being replaced with mixes of peracetic acid + hydrogen peroxide, etc. which has better 'kill' efficacy than quats, etc. ... and is biodegradeable.
Old 15-01-2007, 16:18   #35
cruiser

Mold Killer

To prevent mold , mothballs work well. It only takes a few hours of airing out to get rid of the smell as it evaporates quickly. I store charts, winter clothes and sleeping bags in plastic laundrybags with moth balls when cruising the tropics.It won't remove mold that's already started, but prevents any more from forming.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 17:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride is one of the Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (Quats), and not particularly dangerous. I believe it’s effective against HIV & Hepatitis, as well as mould.

Impact” MSDS:
http://www.traskresearch.com/impact_msds.htm
I do not believe it is such a good idea to speculate on what may be or may not be effective on the containment of fluids containing the HIV virus and or Hepatitis.
It would most probably be wise to go to: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/brochure/care7.htm or other such sites that provide scientific fact on how to deal with what is effective against HIV & Hepatitis.
The product you suggest known as Impact sounds great, the health hazard warning on the label sounds pretty similar to Bleach.

Mothballs work as well, not only to keep the mold out but it also deters snakes; however I would beg you not to put them into your boat the smell saturates the cushions, life vests and pretty much anything fabric.. Yuck
Just my opinion.
Princewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 02:16   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Revised my original post to de-emphasise the reference to medical usage.
FWIW:
EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Human HIV-1 and Hepatitis B Virus:
http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_e_m..._hepatitis.pdf

Old 16-01-2007, 18:51   #38

Gord - you're digging yourself a hole, ... on another planet.

EPA regs are for emissions, personnel exposure and disposal, NOT the efficacy of kill (titre reduction) of such chemicals ... thats handled by FDA regs. and are altered/modified by 'validation' procedures by the entity using it. Inotherwords the 'user' has to PROVE that such chemicals are doing what they're supposed to be doing ... a very complicated and time consuming process, etc.
Old 17-01-2007, 01:36   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't like the view, from down in this extra-planetary hole.
It appears that Richh considers that my belief (that alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride may be efficacious against HIV & Hep) is unfounded.
I’m certainly no expert, and concede that my speculation serves no useful purpose herein.
I propose, with Richh’s permission & agreement, to delete my original comments, and edit out the subsequent references.
What say you?

Old 21-10-2007, 03:33   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mildew Wars: a fight you can't win ~ by Bob Wood
”You may not be able to win the war, but you can win occasional battles. Regardless of the odds, you must fight! Now's the time to meet your opponent...”
Goto: Good Old Boat magazine: Volume 2, Number 3, May/June 1999
Good Old Boat: Mildew Wars - a fight you can't win By Bob Wood

Old 21-10-2007, 11:31   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I see chemicals as a band-aid solution. You need to stop what encourages mold in the first place and that is humidity.

I think the better solution than using chemicals to combat mold is to keep the air inside the boat as dry as possible. Keep a heat source going inside of the boat that keeps the air temperature above the dew point and you won't have the condensation that encourages mold when the boats air temperature drops down to the dew point.

I have been using these below deck for many years and they work.

West Marine: Goldenrod Dehumidifiers Product Display
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 09:14   #42

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Air Dryers

Has anyone had any luck with these Air Dryer Dehumidifiers by West Marine?

I have a catamaran and trying to figure out the best way to "prevent" mold and mildew from forming.

Wonder if I would need three of these, one in each hull and one in the saloon?

West Marine: Air Dryer Dehumidifier Product Display
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 09:34   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Wonder if I would need three of these, one in each hull and one in the saloon?
They are just under 100 watts AC so it's not like you can cruise with them all the time. Maybe a good thing at the dock in cold weather. Maintaining air cumulation can be enough. I try to avoid being plugged in if at all possible.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 09:57   #44

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Try to find a copy of "The Warm Dry Boat" by Roger McAfee. Between Mr. McAfee and Peggie Hall your can keep you boat warm, dry, and smelling good.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 00:05   #45

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Wonder if these Golden Rods would be better than the other West Marine dehumidifier?

West Marine: Goldenrod Dehumidifiers Product Display

I'm not living on the boat right now so I'm not able to open her up every day.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold