Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 06:51   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)
Mobile Phone while Liveaboard

Hi All,

I am a UK resident. Later this month I am taking the plunge to become a liveaboard as I cross the Atlantic and sail the Caribbean till May next year.

I am curious what people do with their mobile phone. I have looked at various options such as global SIMs, UK providers etc. I need to be able to receive mobile calls for work. I do have a Wifi antenna so data isn't the issue hopefully.

I have heard people buy local Sims however we won't be in an individual country long enough to possibly warrant that.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:13   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Mobile Phone while Liveaboard

Google Fi

Your WiFi will only work in very limited circumstances.

Local SIMs are often the most economical solution for bulk data, and even then most would say unreasonable compared to home.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:32   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Google Fi

Local SIMs are often the most economical solution for bulk data, and even then most would say unreasonable compared to home.
Last time I checked you have to have a US residence to get Google fi. Otherwise it's a great service.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:27   #4

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)

Yea, I looked into Google Fi, it’s not available to UK residents
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:39   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Full time liveaboard I went with giffgaf. Worked well so far. Most voice calls are skype so costs little. Works in Portugl & pretty sure I've used it for txts at least in S Korea & Australia

https://www.giffgaff.com/

Also a revolut card is worth getting, costs a fiver & free cash withdrawal , maybe get a couple so if one gets eaten it's no big deal.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 16:01   #6

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Revolut is not a bank so your money are not safe , plus it has quite big rates .
Ñ26 is an actual bank with better rates .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 16:37   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Revolut is not a bank so your money are not safe , plus it has quite big rates .
Ñ26 is an actual bank with better rates .
Not available in the uk yet.
Old 02-10-2018, 16:48   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Once you are in the Caribbean, then head to one of the French Islands (Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Barts or French St. Martin).

Ask for the "Forfaits LIFE" plan. Unlimited calls to EU, USA and Canada. Unlimited texts. 40GB of data for $54 euro. (They sometimes have 10GB sign up bonuses, so 50GB). Unlimited roaming in all the islands. However it looks like they are making some changes and now have a 30GB plan and an unlimited plan.

Anyway, we call back to Canada like we are still down the street. Awesome plan that makes our Google Fi friends rethinking their phone and plans.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 16:59   #9
cruiser

Also, dual sim phone is handy so you can use something like gifgaff keeping your uk number plus local sim for data.
Old 02-10-2018, 18:47   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Look at options like Google Voice or MagicJack. They allow you to get a phone number in many area codes (and presumably some choice of country codes) and then have all calls forwarded from that number to any other number(s) of your choice. And you can log in and change the forwarding at any time, or turn the forwarding off and let the calls go to voicemail that you can retrieve over the internet from any connection.

That way you tell your friends and family "this is my new number" and they call the new number all the time. And you pick up a local SIM card and local service, wherever you are, and just have the calls forwarded. If that sometimes mean international calling...on GoogleVoice that's inexpensive, but you can also choose to allow only certain people (friends? family? business?) to be forwarded to you, while others get bumped to the voice mail so you can retrieve them later.

In can be quite sophisticated [read: complicated] if you want to really get into it. VOIP can be very powerful.

The only "gotcha" is that the number they call (the VOIP number) to reach you, is NOT the number you'll be calling them back from. Unless you've got Gargoyle Voice installed on your cell phone.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 19:57   #11

We buy a sim for the country and use an IP phone number (we use skype but lots of services).

Sims are cheap in a lot of countries and with the IP phone number, people don't know where you are. It does use data to make phone calls but it's not too bad unless you add video.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 22:23   #12

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I use a Solis Skyroam, have been very happy with it when in cell range (most of the time for a cruiser, after all). It's a little orange chinese hockey-puck thing that electronically simulates a SIM card in something like 200 countries, in a few minutes, and lets up to 5 devices at a time log on wirelessly to it for high speed unlimited 4g internet, for 80 bucks a month. Or buy daypasses for 8 bucks per 24 hours as needed. Cheaper than a sim for multiple devices, and no searching for a card on shore... just pull up, drop the hook at whatever hour or while still under a yellow flag, or even still miles offshore approaching a strange country, and 2 minutes later you can be checking reviews and skyping your friends

https://www.skyroam.com/solis
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:10   #13

If you're only going to be there for a few months, you could maybe get a Three Advanced Plan:

From the Three website: "All of our Advanced Plans let you use both Go Roam in Europe and Go Roam Around the World, in at least 71 destinations, at no extra cost. That’s more destinations where you can use your phone abroad at no extra cost that any other UK mobile network.

You can also use your phone as a Personal Hotspot and call Customer Services free from your mobile on these plans."

Compare Mobile Plans | Three Mobile Phone Plans & Benefits | Three

I've used my Three SIM in Europe just the same as it would be in the UK for calls and data, so I presume it would be the same for the 71 destinations 'Around The World' mentioned above.
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:31   #14

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Google Fi

What is google fi? Range? works with what? Thanks
Old 03-10-2018, 11:23   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS
Cool Re: Mobile Phone while Liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post
If you're only going to be there for a few months, you could maybe get a Three Advanced Plan:

From the Three website: "All of our Advanced Plans let you use both Go Roam in Europe and Go Roam Around the World, in at least 71 destinations, at no extra cost. That’s more destinations where you can use your phone abroad at no extra cost that any other UK mobile network.

You can also use your phone as a Personal Hotspot and call Customer Services free from your mobile on these plans."

Compare Mobile Plans | Three Mobile Phone Plans & Benefits | Three

I've used my Three SIM in Europe just the same as it would be in the UK for calls and data, so I presume it would be the same for the 71 destinations 'Around The World' mentioned above.
I agree with you that Three UK is by far the best option for a UK resident wanting to avoid call charges to home and use data in the maximum number of destinations. I have gone that route myself.

However, it should be noted that outside the UK Three, unforgivably, only connects via 3 and not 4G. The more people that shout and complain about this the better.

If not in a Three area then the only real option is a dual SIM phone with a local card. Unless you can get Wi-Fi.

Think about buying the phone from such as eGlobal as UK phones tend to be both mile expensive and single SIM.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, mob, phone