Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 09:56   #31

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Minor Rant About Current Marina Situation, Opinions?

I have a feeling Jim can still make your life miserable even if he loses his job. It might actually be worse if he loses his job because he will see that you are the problem (his perspective). You can be right, but still be wrong. I would look for a new marina.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 10:07   #32

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I also would not rest on my laurels.....Jim is probably not going to be your best friend and my look at you as a threat. He will probably figure out ways to make your lives not so pleasant. I would keep your eyes wide open and have someone watching your boat when you are not there. Also, I would continue to plan on moving to somewhere more pleasant and stable.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 11:25   #33

MOVE!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 11:49   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

....and you should have had fenders on your outward side, knowing the duffus Jim was. So shame on you too.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 14:39   #35

Boat: Sabre 42
You already said that Jim loaded a boat with cocaine to con the guy out of it. This kind of person is more than capable of causing you a ton more grief. Now that you've caused him to be on the rocks with his employer (rightly so), I would anticipate him wanting some sort of revenge.

Move. That marina, and Jim aren't worth it.

As a side note, I had an issue with a land based neighbor... drug addict, alcoholic, had a bunch of issues. I would have moved, but I own the house, and they don't move as easily. Got to the point of him threatening my life, and a restraining order. Don't underestimate what he might do.
Old 28-08-2012, 16:21   #36

Boat: Catalina 30

I drive 3 hours each way to the marina Sisu is at. There are a couple other owners who drive four hours or longer. I still want to move up to where I live; that will have to wait until next year.

This marina is expensive, but it gives me a floating dock where the tide is 2 to 3 ft. Easy access to the Chesapeake Bay, but also safe from hurricanes. And, a yard where I can work on her.

Sometimes a compromise between less than ideal options can be worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTurtles View Post
Hearing back from a marina tomorrow, fingers and toes crossed that they have a spot for us. Government run so the expectations will be a lot higher than here.

Trouble with being in Vancouver is all the bridges, our sailboat can't get under many of them. Then there's a bylaw in North Vancouver stopping all liveaboards at marinas. And then there's the fact any marina in the downtown area is so far out of our price range.

That doesn't leave many marinas, and then there's the years long waiting lists at those. So until we get lucky we do have to work out something to make life a little easier here at the marina. I only just realized that it's next weekend is a long one and we usually take the boat out. Due to a boat in the marina next door of we leave we wouldn't be able to get back into this spot were in now.

It's all very stressful a the moment I can't say I enjoy having so much tension. Jim is attempting to make a bimini at the same time were also making ours. It's sad that I don't even trust leaving our equipment out while we go pick up a part or something. Roll on going offshore, eh?
Old 28-08-2012, 16:46   #37

Boat: 43' Hatteras CPMY

There is always something at a marina... But Jim can/will be a thorn in your side... Leaving my boat alone in that situation would scare me to death....
jaxfishgyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 17:29   #38

Boat: OEM, proportional

Is Jim befriendable in any way? Or, is there a chance he might take up residence in a stone hotel anytime soon?
Old 28-08-2012, 17:41   #39

Boat: Leopard 47 Catamaran

MOVE. Get on with your life.
jim767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 17:46   #40

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I hate to say it, but a lot of marinas are like that or worse. I once lived in a marina that was full of drug dealers, thieves, and lunatics, and those were my friends! We dealt with it by befriending the nastiest guy around, covered with scars from all the crazy fights he'd been in. He let it be known that nobody was allowed to mess with us, period, and we had no problems. Other than somebody turning up dead one morning floating in the marina, a stolen boat crashing into ours in the middle of the night as the thief tried to remove it, and another burning to the waterline in the middle of the night, we had no problems. I'm not a great fan of marina life.
Old 28-08-2012, 18:03   #41

I've had about 50/50 experiences with marina managers.. Never that bad, thankfully, but yah, I would be highly pissed as well, especially since you are PAYING for the privilege of such ignorance!! It seems that I meet awesome people while sailing, but more than half of the workers in the industry are absolute crap and outright crooks from boat yard owners/managers to marinas, etc... Good luck though.. I do feel your pain!!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 18:14   #42

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Just read the whole thread from the start.

Move girl - move now.

Or continue to pretend that the leopard has changed his spots until he proves to you in some viscious manner that he hasn't. Don't ever say you weren't warned many times.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 18:17   #43

Boat: OEM, proportional

Collect a dirt file. If you move, it was a waste of time. In the meantime, should Jim favour you with his attentions, it could save you or your next of kin from indifference from the upholders of the law; or even keep you out of the slammer if he forces you to descend to his level and treat him to a helping of trouble by way of self defence. Give him a sixpack and a smile so he may have an excuse to consider you less of an enemy. Consider anchoring out if it's necessary...
Old 29-08-2012, 04:13   #44
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTurtles View Post
So right now, I'm very happy and pleasantly surprised with my marina owner. He really pulled through and got the job done. We're still keeping a foot in the door and looking for other marinas, but after yesterday it's not such a hurry to get the hell out of here. Jim has been put in his place and Bob has made it clear that the reins have been pulled.
I enjoyed the rant! Don't beleive I ever have read a marina rant that was about someone being happy.

But it sounds that it was only took 4 days to go from the rant to your being happy. So it seems to me that your new marina owner Bob is pretty good.
Old 29-08-2012, 07:32   #45

Boat: Graham Radford 415

Yeah, the owner pulled through, but like everyone else has said already, Jim will always be a problem.

We're working on finding other moorage, not many places we can go and all have waiting lists, so it really is just a waiting game for us and I suppose we have to make the most of being here as sadly, we might be here for some time.

Aside from Jim, all the other neighbours are great. And everyone here is pissed off with him one way or another. So it's nice to feel like we've not been singled out by him, as he's a jerk with everyone. Now that the reigns has been pulled in by the owner, Jim seems to have realized he's just a dock boy and nobody likes him enough to even say hello in the morning.

And a couple of people here have mentioned our boat not being safe, I'd be stupid to say I'm not a little concerned but I think we're okay. The marina has two houses up on shore, both retired couples with big windows overlooking the whole marina. That and now that we're back in our spot, we're kind of out in the open and every other boat has a clear view of us. Everyone here knows Jim isn't allowed to step foot on our boat under any circumstance, so I don't think he'll try. Plus I work from home, I go out at random times at random days, so it's not like he knows when the boat is empty.

But thanks for all the great messages guys, happy sailing!
CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current