Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2019, 07:24   #106

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Re: Miami Beach Anchoring Harassment

Get and keep a log. Do it in ink. Record things like “anchor light on and bright” denotes you turned it on and checked. Record when and where you move. Record when the police come visit. A ships log is a legal document (one of the reasons for using ink). Good luck, your battling some strong forces, legal or not.
Old 19-08-2019, 07:25   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
As someone who grew up in Miami and has been sailing in Florida since the 1950s it still shocks me to read things like this. Not to mention reading all the posts defending this point of view.

What makes anyone think they are entitled to free stuff. Truth be told most marinas in South Florida are full and the boat owners are paying big bucks to get parking, trash disposal, and water. Florida has been more than welcoming to those boaters.

On the other hand there are lots of places in Florida where those living on boats expect free stuff; a place to dock a tender, access to water, and a place to dump trash for starters. In the Keys they have closed a park because boaters were doing things like overhauling outboards on picnic tables, over stressing the rest rooms, massively increasing water usage, and in some cases doing things like urinating in public; not to mention going nude on their boats while small children were in the park. In some areas the folks living on boats incapable of moving would be homeless other wise.

The result of an increasing number of folks living on boats who put stress on the communities infrastructure (expecting to do it free of charge) at best and often are a real problem with things like drug use and crime has resulted in more laws being passed to restrict where this can happen. I have sailed in the Keys up to the Panhandle and never had an issue anchoring. But I was never within miles of a house unless I was in marina. I also never expected free stuff.

As there are more folks on boats in the future I expect there will be even more restrictions on where boats can anchor. The thin is they will never affect cruisers like me who cruise to get away from it all; but it will affect those that are not really capable of moving their boat and expect free stuff to help them.
I'm not getting anything free from the public. It's a private dock, private trash, etc.

Guess everybody has to boat like you do or else they are in the wrong huh?...
SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 07:34   #108
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMT View Post
I'm not getting anything free from the public. It's a private dock, private trash, etc.

Guess everybody has to boat like you do or else they are in the wrong huh?...
nothing he wrote was wrong really, even if it doesn't apply to you or me

there's always going to be landowners who don't want boats "in their backyard", heck while at anchor there's been LOTS of boats next to me that I didn't want in MY water

but overall boaters ourselves are our worst enemy with the few bad apples turning the rest of the barrel into rot
Old 19-08-2019, 07:37   #109

Ok, so I called the main FWC office trying to get am answer as to why one of their officers is claiming there's a Miami Bwach law which Miami Beach officers say doesnt exist.

I kept gwtting aswering machines or rerouted to a lower office til of course a local FWC finally answered. Exactly what I was trying to avoid. Pretty sure it was the same guy that visites my boat.

He claims there is a Miami Beach ordinance that you cannot anchor for more than 7 days in a "non-designated" anchorage. It's supposedly something like a reoccuring $50 ticket. I mentioned that 2 MB cops told me no such law exists, but his response was they must not know their own law, "I'm whole state of florida, so I know all the laws."

As far as I can tell from googling, this ordinance was something that was tried by MB a few years ago, but then struck down in court or else by the state.
Old 19-08-2019, 07:42   #110

Can FWC even write a ticket for a city ordinance??
Old 19-08-2019, 07:55   #111

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Florida anchoring restrictions - Ocean Navigator - March/April 2015
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 08:00   #112
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMT View Post
Can FWC even write a ticket for a city ordinance??
Probably not and/or there is no ordinance or he would have written you a ticket already.

BUT to my understanding and reading in Florida there are no such things as local city ordinances covering anchoring and only the State can pass one. Except for just a couple of locations it pretty much is that you can anchor anywhere not in a channel or 150' from a marina, mooring field, boat launch etc.
Old 19-08-2019, 08:24   #113

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Here it comes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3BEEF1C6-C12B-4D1D-ACD9-733929B31180.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	198219  
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 08:31   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Here it comes...

Well, that's fair, really. Boats should have a means of propulsion.

Note that sails are a means of propulsion.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 08:32   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
nothing he wrote was wrong really, even if it doesn't apply to you or me

there's always going to be landowners who don't want boats "in their backyard", heck while at anchor there's been LOTS of boats next to me that I didn't want in MY water

but overall boaters ourselves are our worst enemy with the few bad apples turning the rest of the barrel into rot
We have similar issues in my area of NYS. People with waterfront complain about boats, they go too fast, they anchor in "their back yard", etc. The deed to my former waterfront home showed ownership to the mean water level. Some have high water level, some mean, some low. Regardless, private landowners do not own beyond their property line. Deal with a nuisance if one exists, but don't try to remove someone else's legal rights in order to enhance your own.
RossD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 08:47   #116

I'm a confused Brit. You have Marine Police and Coastguard come check out your boat is legal? What is that about in the Land of the Free? On inland rivers and canals here we are required to have a safety certificate/licence and the relevant authorities do check these occasionally. At sea the CG or Border Authority can board you if they suspect illegal activity such as smuggling but never to inspect the condition or compliance of your boat. We can only get prosecuted for being drunk in charge of a boat under way or disobeying harbour speed limits. Best you drop your anchor in some West Coast of Scotland loch, you'll never be harassed again!
TonyP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 08:47   #117
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Well, that's fair, really. Boats should have a means of propulsion.

Note that sails are a means of propulsion.
I'm all for steps taken to reduce delerick boats. They are nothing but an eyesore, danger to the rest of us boaters, and cause bad blood with the landowners.

The real problem I've seen is that most delerick boats don't even have anyone ever on them to "prove" anything. Heck I've only been going up/down Florida for 3 years and we already say things like "lets go over to X and anchor across from the bird **** boat" far as location descriptions.
Old 19-08-2019, 09:26   #118

Call FWC Inspector General's office to ask about how to handle your complaint. They may direct you to an ombudsman. You may wish to check FWC's website as well.
"Complaints regarding employee misconduct, or reports of fraud, waste, or abuse of Agency resources can be filed online, by phone at 850-488-6068, by email to any of the addresses listed on our Contact List, or by mail addressed to: Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Office of Inspector General 620 South Meridian Street Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600"
sailor3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 09:33   #119

Typical FL situation.

CG FW County, City, law enforcement have no clue about what they are doing. It is even worst on land.
They have a leisure day on the water, pretending they are at work.
Can't even manage to identify you properly.

As for the yuppie on land. You did buy the right to the land, not the water, so up yours. And actually the land isn't even yours. It belong to the state. The state leased it to you. A bit of digging and you find the paper from 200 years ago, where it says it's loan by the state.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 09:39   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Here it comes...

To funny.

I reported an incident to FW, an officer showed up a month later. So yah.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, men, miami