Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2012, 20:45   #16

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
Re: Mattress Top Memory Foam

I have a real nice 4" bed foam with teh COSTCO memory topper. Total 6", very comfortable. The high quality bed foam gives hte depth and firmness feel, and teh memory foam, well, it speaks for itself....
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 22:17   #17
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Costco's are all memory foam -- we have them on our beds 4 years and it really makes a difference. They hold up well. We thought about getting another and cutting to size for the top of the v-berth mattresses but it would add a lot of weight, making it difficult to get to storage beneath, so I have held off. It would improve comfort though so it's a question of trade-offs.
I promise, the froli and a 4" topper fix this ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 10:07   #18

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Anybody know an economical source for latex mattresses?
Bump.
Old 16-02-2012, 11:37   #19

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

When I was remodelling my aft cabin I decided to use air mattresses in place of the old foam which was past its prime. See http://www.schooner-britannia.com/aft_cabin.html. They are lighter than 5” thick foam and have the advantage of individual firmness settings. They also don’t sweat like foam and are dead easy to deflate and move individually if I need to get under them—unlike a whopping great sheet of foam.
I now prefer my aft cabin bed to our expensive water bed at home, and plan to install them in the other two cabins as I get round to remodeling them.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 18:14   #20

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

Thanks for the comments and recommendations. The info will help a lot.
Duke
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 18:23   #21

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We have THREE memory foam mattresses from fleabay: the seller is "sleepymountainmattress". The oldest is about 8 years now. The boat one they cut for us for an additional $10 - and as ours is a long queen, they made it slightly oversized for us at no charge. You can also cut them with an electric knife.

Like I said, both our King at home and our Queen on the boat are from them, 10" thick and have done VERY well. They have a 10" queen mattress system, delivered in the US for $300.

Thanks for that info.

That is a really good price if the foam is not too soft.
Old 16-02-2012, 18:25   #22

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We had a 3" memory foam topper on top of our latex mattress, but when summer came, we couldn't stand sleeping on it since it gets warmer with body heat.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 20:35   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I purchased an 8" foam mattress from walmart online (with free shipping to local store for pickup). Only available online. 4" high density foam, 2" medium density foam and 2" memory foam. All closed cell foam so does not absorb moisture. Was $200 ish for a full size This was a few years ago. Then just cut it down to fit the angles with a bread knife... Still the best I've slept on....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 20:36   #24

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

We did exactly what Sarafina did with our Westsail 32, including shaving our 5" closed cell foam in half with an electric carving knife. The Froli system underneath and 3" memory on top. Best sleep ever and no condensation below thanks to the Froli.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 21:18   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee 41

We're just using a 4" memory foam topper from Wal-Mart. It's far more comfortable than the 40 year old cushions that are underneath it! Currently on a 1973 Catalina, but will be moving on to a 1981 Cheoy Lee Offshore 41 next week.
n8kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 04:00   #26

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

Just an update. We purchased a king size foam mattress from a local distributor for $100.00. It is has two layers of foam making it about 10 inches thick. We figure, with the right slicing and dicing, we can get exactly what we want / need for our boat.
Duke
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 05:25   #27

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke 48 View Post
My wife has been looking at several types of memory foam to add to the V-berth. The pricing is all over the place. I told her we did not know enough about memory foam to judge which would give us the best for our money. Comments on your experience and recommendations are appreciated. Duke
Duke,

About 10 years before retiring and starting our circumnavigation I founded a mattress manufacturing company that specialized in the use of visco-elastic foam (VE), commonly called memory foam. I had used VE foam in the upholstered furniture manufacturing business.

Without getting into more detail than is necessary, let me give you the advice that you need:

The quality of the the VE foam is based primarily on the density of the foam. You can measure density by weighing the foam. Divide the weight by the square footage of the slab. You want nothing less than 4 pounds per square foot. When I was in this business I could buy VE foam as low as 1.8 pounds/sq foot. The higher density, the more foam in the product and the more foam, the higher quality and higher price...it is that simple.

Next, for the VE foam to do its job, it should be at least 2" thick, and you do not want the egg-crate or waffle-cut foam...you want it flat on all sides. This "topper mattress" should be placed over either a poly urethane 4" thick mattress with a density of at least 1.8 pounds per square foot, or a quality innerspring mattress...same results, either way. When this is done as I have described above, there is no need for a box-spring foundation or any other type of flexing foundation. BTW, America's best selling VE foam mattress is 2" of 4.0 pounds/sq foot VE over 6" of 1.8 pounds/sq foot poly urethane.

Only one caveat - there are some foam manufacturers adding clay to VE and poly urethane foam to increase the weight and fool people on the density. Our manufacturing plant tested the quality of each shipment of foam. Our test for added clay was simple: In a dark room we cut a piece with a band saw...any sparks meant clay had been added...you might have seen some sand-looking material under sofa cushions and wondered where it came from...most of the time, the source of that sand under a foam cushion is from the clay added to the foam by the foam manufacturer.

If you follow these guidelines, your VE foam topper will last a long time and you should also enjoy restful sleep.

I hope this helps you and clears some things up for the other responders to your post.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 05:43   #28

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

For those who dont want a thick mattress because of height - 1st layer: 1/2" - 3/4" open cell neoprene (wet suit material or engine room sound proofing)
2nd layer: 3-4'' Memory foam topper.
I get mine from Costco.
You wont believe the comfort from this combo!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 05:46   #29

Boat: Westsail 32

The Foam Factory: Foam by Mail, foam products, cushions, mattresses, pillows, seats, sound proofing, memory foams, mattress, pillow,
Old 19-02-2012, 16:39   #30

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8kraft View Post
We're just using a 4" memory foam topper from Wal-Mart. It's far more comfortable than the 40 year old cushions that are underneath it! Currently on a 1973 Catalina, but will be moving on to a 1981 Cheoy Lee Offshore 41 next week.

SWEET!!!! Congrats, and you know I ain't talkin bout the cushion....
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote