Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2020, 13:11   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Marathon

..sounds like ‘trailer trash’ in the makings..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/litter-sa...140437640.html

..or someone once said “boat scum”...
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 17:15   #2

Re: Marathon

We spent a couple of weeks there a few years ago. It’s not called the “sailor park” for nothing. If you like Jerry Springer, you’ll love it.
Old 30-09-2020, 18:23   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I’ve said it many times and I’ll say it again, Boot Key Harbor is a community and like all communities there are some undesirables. For the most part it’s full of interesting good people and probably much safer than most communities in the country.
I guess we are all “boat scum”, and no matter how great you think your boat is, there are those that consider it below them.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 18:46   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

The problems aren't in the mooring field. But there are definitely scum just like on land and just like on land scum likes to fight with each other.

They do these “sweeps” regularly. I have been there during and it is well broadcast and i never noticed any changes during or after.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:02   #5

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

We are planning on spending three months or more in Marathon this winter and just like last time we won’t go near the mooring field/anchorage or the park nearby. There are a lot of derelicts there, boats and people.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:29   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Spent most of last winter in the mooring field. Met lots of great people including Sailorboy1.

The mooring field empties out in the summertime, with just the full time liveaboards left. Around November, the cruising snowbirds show up and the atmosphere changes.

As Sailorboy said, most of the bad apples are not in the mooring field, but anchored outside.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
We are planning on spending three months or more in Marathon this winter and just like last time we won’t go near the mooring field
If your boat is 63', you're SOL anyway. The moorings for over 45' are limited, mostly full and I think the max is 60'.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:17   #8

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

We are staying at White Marlin. I was talking about when we ride the scooter around the island or take the car to go shopping or run errands. When we were first in Marathon I took the scooter all over the place exploring the island and quickly decided to stay away from the park, I also read the daily crime report in the local paper. There were one or two places with more than their fair share of Florida Man..... Sorry, but that’s not for us. (Florida Man = where homelessness meets mental health issues and drug addiction)
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
There were one or two places with more than their fair share of Florida Man..... Sorry, but that’s not for us.
The only real place I saw a concentration of homeless was at 15th St Ocean and US1, not sure why.

If you are talking about the Marathon Community Park, I walked my dog there daily and saw very few "florida man". It could be because the Monroe County Sheriff's Dept maintains a detention center in the SE corner of the park.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:35   #10
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Spent most of last winter in the mooring field. Met lots of great people including Sailorboy1.

The mooring field empties out in the summertime, with just the full time liveaboards left. Around November, the cruising snowbirds show up and the atmosphere changes.

As Sailorboy said, most of the bad apples are not in the mooring field, but anchored outside.

Believe it or not, the mooring field was at over 60% capacity this summer.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:39   #11
smj

From my experience the “Florida Man” would usually smile and say hello, and give you the shirt of their backs.......if they owned a shirt. :-)
Old 01-10-2020, 09:46   #12
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

For the most most I think "Florida man" goes down to the Keys once they retire from their Florida Man careers. They are a lot different than the ones still working in Jacksonville, St Augustine, Palm Beach, Ft Myers, Sarasota, Tampa area.

I will say that I didn't like my first stay of 3 months in BK as much as the second of 2 weeks and third of 4 months. It may be that over the last extra couple of years I have a different view having now been to more less expensive types of places. It may be that I know more boat scum than at first who allow me to hang out with them.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:20   #13

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

On our travels down the US east coast we twice visited Boot Key and whilst it's not somewhere I'd choose to stay long-term, we found it a really friendly spot and certainly never felt threatened, nor in any danger, indeed just the opposite.
Marathon's perhaps not targeting the Hinckley and Halberg Rassy set in it's marketing, but us Grotty-Yachties enjoyed it.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:41   #14

Boat: Voyage 430

My gf and our shipmate heard the gunshot that killed a man while in boot key harbor. It still haunts me thinking about how someone's life was ended while we were wondering if someone had set off a firework.

That is boot key harbor. Enjoy.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:46   #15
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
My gf and our shipmate heard the gunshot that killed a man while in boot key harbor. It still haunts me thinking about how someone's life was ended while we were wondering if someone had set off a firework.

That is boot key harbor. Enjoy.

Yeah, we were about 150 yards away from the shooting but I guess growing up in the US has numbed me?