Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2012, 14:46   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)
Maps of Marinas

Gudday & Ahoy!

I am thinking of creating an online catalog of maps to marinas. I have found that many marinas are poorly marked and hard to find your way around if you are sailing in for the first time (especially at night). The slips are often not marked at all or poorly marked, making it difficult to find the slip you are looking for.

I've had many difficult conversations via telephone and radio with the harbor master's office as I motored up one slip and down another saying "Where did you say the fuel dock was? The pump out is where?"

One late evening I totally gave up, tied off to an old dock and set out on my kayak with a flashlight to find the slip I had reserved. After an hour or so I gave up and slept at the condemned dock.

So recently I was thinking to myself "Boy this would be a lot easier if I had a map of this place with the rows, slips, fuel dock, pump out, etc clearly marked on it"....bingo! get off yer butt and make a library of maps them, dummy.

Does anyone have any input on this idea? What do you think?
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 21:23   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Maps of Marinas

You are aware of this, yes?

Marinas.com, World's Marinas Portal, and Marina Directory
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 06:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

SayGudday, I looked at the marinas.com site mentioned above and it does not cover the need that you describe. The marina.com site has many pretty ad photos, but not a map of the dock layouts with locations of slip numbers. I too have seen this need and I keep a log of some locations. Paticularly the numbers in mooring fields...

I picked up this map after the dinghy trip from my mooring to the office from my assigned mooring. It's useless unless you have it when you first arrive.
Old 20-12-2012, 06:48   #4

Sounds like a very ambitious undertaking, but I can certainly see the use.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 07:47   #5

@ CaptForce, you understand exactly what I'm talking about and hope to enlist the help of boaters like yourself. denverd0n mentioned that a project of this scope was ambitious but most of us live in and around marinas so I'm sure many people would contribute. It sounds like a huge task (and is) but 'many hands make light work' my grandmother used to say....as she was drinking tea and telling me what to do. PS - I started working on this yesterday after getting some feedback from other sailors.

If anyone reading this has useful maps of marinas and wants to contribute them, please email them to me at dale@theMarinersGuide.com.

As soon as some decent maps are up I will notify everyone.
Old 20-12-2012, 10:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

I would think that marina managements, presented with a clear intent of your purpose, would likely present you with the information you need.
Old 20-12-2012, 10:40   #7

Boat: islandpacket
Check with active capt sounds like a great match
Old 20-12-2012, 11:11   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

A screen shot of Goggle earth/map works really well for me. And most marinas have maps identifying where each slip is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Everett-marina.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	51479  
Old 20-12-2012, 11:37   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As transients we usually have no paperwork or internet when approaching. While we are looking at navigation aides and judging current, someone on the VHF says, "Take a right after the second T-head past the fuel dock and you'll see docks E, F & G. Turn in at F and you slip will be 118 a third of the way down." This usually requires some repeated instructions and spotting a dockhand waving and some luck. While we are also dealing with lines, fenders, wind and current. Later, when checking in at the office, we're given a packet that includes a map of the docks.
Old 20-12-2012, 11:50   #10

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I think what he is looking for is this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noank Ship Yard.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	51480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Noank Ship Yard1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	51481  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 11:59   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

In xenmark, the government has a service on the net

Den Danske Havnelods. This shows a diagram of the harbour, including depths, docks, etc. What facilities are available. You can also call up a google pic.

Check out marina-guide.net

This is a german page, but has a button for english. He has most of the harbours in germany and denmark. A lot on sweden and holland. He is working on making it a european wide site (evt. World wide)

These things exist already, but few have enough harbours to be useful.

The Danish Sailing Association has an Iphone/Ipad app for all the harbours and mooring bouys in denmark, showing, docks, bouys, depths facilties, prices etc. Unfortunately, the app is for members onlu

But if you decide to cruise Denmark, let me know and I can help you. We have over 400 islands within a dys sail of each other abd about 500 harbours.

And we have lots of beautiful danish gals (but that is just a fringe benefit)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 12:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
As transients we usually have no paperwork or internet when approaching. While we are looking at navigation aides and judging current, someone on the VHF says, "Take a right after the second T-head past the fuel dock and you'll see docks E, F & G. Turn in at F and you slip will be 118 a third of the way down." This usually requires some repeated instructions and spotting a dockhand waving and some luck. While we are also dealing with lines, fenders, wind and current. Later, when checking in at the office, we're given a packet that includes a map of the docks.

and currents
Yep, nice to have the information after you are already in the slip, aint it? Hopefully an online library can help us do this all easier. Does sound like a good match for Active Cpatian, as several sailors have suggested.
Old 20-12-2012, 12:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I think what he is looking fo is this:
Exactamundo! Where is that map too, I'll add it to the library, if you don't mind?
Old 20-12-2012, 12:21   #14

@ carstenb, thanks for the offer, mate. Let me get the bones of the library built and then I'll be right back to you.
Old 20-12-2012, 12:42   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Our worst case was heading up the Patuxent River to take a slip at the Anchorage Marina. We were standing off their breakwater when they gave us direction to enter the breakwater at the SW corner. We clearly saw that the breakwater ran from the northwest to the southeast confirmed by our compass and GPS. After much confusion we finally reached our slip. Mounted on the wall in the marina office was a map with the marina shown at a forty-five degree counterclockwise shift from the real world showing Boston Street running East-West and the marina facing due south on the water. When I pointed this out to them they said that they used this map to simplify the directions. We return to this marina and enjoy our time there, but this map was nutty!

Tags
marinas