Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2012, 07:48   #31

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Maps of Marinas

While I can't really add to the discussion about marina mapping, the op hit a real nerve with me regarding most marinas, and a complicated set of directions giver over the vhf, and tiny sun-faded dock markers. I thought it was just me, until I began overhearing other skippers all lost and wandering marinas while requesting further directions to the elusive slip assignment. The assumption seems to be that "everyone" knows the marina, and the few who don't will soon enough. real sore spot with me, rant over.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 08:55   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
As transients we usually have no paperwork or internet when approaching. While we are looking at navigation aides and judging current, someone on the VHF says, "Take a right after the second T-head past the fuel dock and you'll see docks E, F & G. Turn in at F and you slip will be 118 a third of the way down." This usually requires some repeated instructions and spotting a dockhand waving and some luck. While we are also dealing with lines, fenders, wind and current. Later, when checking in at the office, we're given a packet that includes a map of the docks.
It probably wouldn't help much if you had internet access. I have an iPod mini with cell coverage where I could easily download a marina map, but most marinas don't post their dock maps on their web sites.

It is kinda goofy how they hand you the dock map after you've already tied up. On the other hand, I've been keeping those dock maps in a drawer in my nav station for years now. You never know when you're coming back.

I was disappointed in the OP's website. Too much extraneous information--too hard to find a dock map. Some bad advice in other sections, like the binocular recommendations, made me distrust the site immediately.
Old 26-12-2012, 10:18   #33

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
While I can't really add to the discussion about marina mapping, the op hit a real nerve with me regarding most marinas, and a complicated set of directions giver over the vhf, and tiny sun-faded dock markers. I thought it was just me, until I began overhearing other skippers all lost and wandering marinas while requesting further directions to the elusive slip assignment. The assumption seems to be that "everyone" knows the marina, and the few who don't will soon enough. real sore spot with me, rant over.
FINALLY someone who will wallow in misery with me! I had a full on melt down one evening after the staff from a marina told me "You come in past the breakwater and your slip will be the 2nd one on the left."....there were about 9,000 slips on the left (maybe more) and, by the way, that was not even where the marina was! It was the last one at the very end. Never did find my slip though.
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 10:28   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
It probably wouldn't help much if you had internet access. I have an iPod mini with cell coverage where I could easily download a marina map, but most marinas don't post their dock maps on their web sites.

It is kinda goofy how they hand you the dock map after you've already tied up. On the other hand, I've been keeping those dock maps in a drawer in my nav station for years now. You never know when you're coming back.

I was disappointed in the OP's website. Too much extraneous information--too hard to find a dock map. Some bad advice in other sections, like the binocular recommendations, made me distrust the site immediately.
Ya know, if you've got a drawer full of dock maps...I'd love to get copies. Just putting it out there, in case you feel like doing any scanning and emailing.

The maps have only been up for a few days so it's far from perfect yet. Do you have any ideas about how I could make it easier to find a map?

What's wrong with my binoculars post? Just a little background on how the site started. I wanted to buy some marine binoculars so i started doing research. I knew I was going to buy some from Amazon so I figured I'd put up a post and buy them from myself to get a little of my money back. So that binocular post is how I chose my own binoculars. What did you think was inaccurate about that?
Old 27-12-2012, 01:55   #35

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

You need to be careful about copying marina maps. There are copyright issues.

The basic need for entering unfamiliar marinas is a depth guide. As long as you can be sure you have enough water under the keel, you can cruise around a little to find your slip.

Having sailed into untold amounts of unknown marinas, I can tell you that without a depth guide, it is nerveracking to say the least.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 07:40   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
You need to be careful about copying marina maps. There are copyright issues.

The basic need for entering unfamiliar marinas is a depth guide. As long as you can be sure you have enough water under the keel, you can cruise around a little to find your slip.

Having sailed into untold amounts of unknown marinas, I can tell you that without a depth guide, it is nerveracking to say the least.
Re. Copyright. Thanks for the warning. I'm aware and have sent emails to all the marinas letting them know. That isn't a get out of jail free card but, if any marinas protest (no idea why they would) then I'll take their map down, if they wish.

Re. Depth guide. I feel your pain here!
Old 27-12-2012, 08:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Definitely nerve wracking. We entered Marina Palmira in La Paz with 0.6 ft. under the keel (we offset from keel since that takes less quick math)

SayGudday- Since you are in San Diego, have you seen the Guide In Southern California? They have a Marina Guide published once a year with data, photos and diagrams most marinas up the coast. We used that to call and arrange slips,moorings and guest docks. It's a good guide (although I don't remember if it has depths).

Good luck on your venture.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 15:25   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Definitely nerve wracking. We entered Marina Palmira in La Paz with 0.6 ft. under the keel (we offset from keel since that takes less quick math)

SayGudday- Since you are in San Diego, have you seen the Guide In Southern California? They have a Marina Guide published once a year with data, photos and diagrams most marinas up the coast. We used that to call and arrange slips,moorings and guest docks. It's a good guide (although I don't remember if it has depths).

Good luck on your venture.
Marina Guide you say? Well now that's interesting. To be 100% honest I just thought of this a few days ago when I was talking to a sailing buddy who is about to move marinas. He knew I had been to that marina before and asked me if I had a map since there wasn't one on their website. BINGO! So no, I hadn't seen the guide but I will definitely look for it now. Thanks for the encouragement.

PS - the current maps are getting a good volume of traffic so it seems to be useful for some.
Old 27-12-2012, 19:11   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayGudday View Post

Marina Guide you say? Well now that's interesting. To be 100% honest I just thought of this a few days ago when I was talking to a sailing buddy who is about to move marinas. He knew I had been to that marina before and asked me if I had a map since there wasn't one on their website. BINGO! So no, I hadn't seen the guide but I will definitely look for it now. Thanks for the encouragement.

PS - the current maps are getting a good volume of traffic so it seems to be useful for some.
It is published once a year and is available at marinas, West Marine, etc. but if you weren't looking for it you could easily miss it. The setup is good-you may be able to get ideas for other areas. There is a bigger book for Southern CA that covers all sorts if things & we got it after getting the free pump-out & talk by the Green Marina group (they give great canvas bags too). You can probably find a last year guide at West Marine or SD Marine Exchange.
Old 27-12-2012, 20:25   #40

Quote:
It is published once a year and is available at marinas, West Marine, etc. but if you weren't looking for it you could easily miss it. The setup is good-you may be able to get ideas for other areas. There is a bigger book for Southern CA that covers all sorts if things & we got it after getting the free pump-out & talk by the Green Marina group (they give great canvas bags too). You can probably find a last year guide at West Marine or SD Marine Exchange.
I'll be at west marine tomorrow looking for it, that's for sure.
Old 29-12-2012, 12:40   #41

Much thanks to those that have been contributing maps! I have over 30 of them online already, quite a few more I'm still formatting. Been getting quite a few views and downloads too so I'm please the resource is proving valuable to some boaters. If you have a marina map, please contribute it to the library by emailing it to me.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:00   #42

Quote:

I'll be at west marine tomorrow looking for it, that's for sure.
Let me know if WM doesn't have it. I can send you one from last year.
Old 01-01-2013, 21:51   #43

Quote:
Much thanks! I have gotten a steady stream of maps contributed this week (50+) but that's really just scratching the surface of the number of marinas out there. Big task but a useful tool I think so worth the effort.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:13   #44

Quote:
No luck at WM so, if the offer still stands, I'd love to get your book from last year. If your still game, PM me and I'll shoot you my mailing address. Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2013, 20:52   #45

Quote:

No luck at WM so, if the offer still stands, I'd love to get your book from last year. If your still game, PM me and I'll shoot you my mailing address. Thanks again!

Of course-I've got the 2012 book. Just PM me & I will send it out tomorrow.

Tags
marinas