Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 13:48   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Making the liveaboard decision. help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmc View Post
How big is your cat and how many folks live aboard full time? It looks like a fairly late model cat approx 50' can be found for $300~$400k, so that is promising. Also, can't beat the wide open spaces.

Is your cruising typically near the shore or are you a blue water guy?
Our twins were born on board and the other two were born in hospitals ashore but were back on board before they were four days old. All of them are home schooled and the eldest two have places at good universities, one for dentistry and the other to become a biology teacher. We started with a 35 cat and then moved upwards, finally to a 45ft Voyage. The majority of our time has been with a 43 ft Voyage (which has the same internal space as the 45ft version). We have not suffered at all for space but we did modify our Voyage cats - the four heads were converted into two and the saloon seating was also modified. Not big changes but it made the boat fit us better.
We have spent most of our time in the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea with forays over to the Caribbean via both South Africa and the Mediterranean route.
On the question of older boats we change the standing rigging on a new boat to us if its over four years old as a precaution. Some say its over kill but we like to know 100% what we have. We also check our own rigging regularly. We also go over all the critical systems, from standing rigging, the electrics (incl. batteries), electronics, the fuel systems and engines, plumbing including gas, skin fittings, sails refrigeration etc as well as going over the bottom and always re-epoxying before antifouling. This assumes the boat surveys well. We also beef up the power regeneration, the anchoring arrangement and add a water maker (always a Spectre) plus we keep our same dinghy/outboard arrangement. We know what works for us and until we find something better we stay with our proven gear.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 13:57   #32

Re: Making the liveaboard decision. help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Since you're talking power boats...
I'm 67 and because of my family, I have been around boats, ships and the sea since I was 7.
Being a novice, I think anything over 60' would be asking for trouble. I don't have any ego issues with hiring a captain to train with, doing the CG courses and getting certified. Great way not to get killed or harm the ones you love.

From my reading it appears twin props and a bow thruster make a boat easier to handle in close quarters. From the pictures a 50'~60' might be a good start. But I am scratching my head over the $100k difference from cruiser to yacht in the same length and equipment configuration. Maybe trawler folk just love their boats more.

I guess the quandary is that the cruiser boats are cheaper cause those folks have a need for speed and the short attention span that comes with it, therefore lots of fast cruisers going for less money cause the 'thrill is gone'.
markmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 14:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
We started with a 35 cat and then moved upwards, finally to a 45ft Voyage. The majority of our time has been with a 43 ft Voyage (which has the same internal space as the 45ft version).
Thanks, there were not many cat's in the 40~60 range listed on Yachtworld (4). Is there a better place to look?
markmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 15:24   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Mark!

Welcome to the Forum.

I have read your intro post above, and all of the following comments posted by others.

Based on what I have read (especially your comments in the original post and in response to others) I have the following suggestions to make. However, before I do, I will give this disclaimer:

I am a sailor. I do not own a large powerboat or trawler. Would I? Yes, and I would happily cruise on one in USA coastal waters and even beyond if possible. I am making some suggestions based on what I would do if I were in your boat shoes and knowing what I know so far. I am not an expert in these boats. My suggestions are based on what YOU stated, what I LIKE, and within YOUR budget. In short, it is what I would buy if I were YOU. Take my comments as opinions, and with a splash of saltwater.

1. Learn to use the Google Custom Search of this forum.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: Google Custom search is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field. You will get MUCH better search results. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

2. Given your budget and your limitations (no heeling on a sailboat, no dark caves, need headroom inside, etc.) I would buy a "Power Cat."

Since Power Cats are a more rare boat and not as common as more typical sailing catamarans or trawlers, there will be fewer owners and boats available. But that is changing. You say you won't be ready to take off for about 5 years. A lot can happen in 5 years. More Power Cats will be on the market then.

My suggestion is to learn about them now, prepare yourself and buy when you get closer to the time you can go full-time. Going back to my first suggestion (#1 above): Do a Google Custom search following my directions in #1 and you get the following:

power cat - Google Search

3. Which Power Cat would I buy today?

Given your budget TODAY, and what is on the market TODAY, I would seriously look at the following boat.
2002 Lagoon Power Cat 43 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Asking price = $230K

This particular boat design is one I happen to like as an "Owner's Boat" with a large master stateroom and excellent accommodations for guests in two double staterooms and great living areas and spaces (salon and cockpit). They are on the market now and more (newer) will be available in 5 years.

This particular model of boat is one I find appealing for "live aboard" in the Florida or Bahamas or Gulf of Mexico or even ICW cruising environment, if I had no goal of crossing oceans or going around the world (but, I do).

I would NOT purchase today unless you are ready to use the boat now. Five years is a long time. If you have to wait that long before you can really utilize the boat, I would wait until later and see what is on the market then. In the meantime, I would CHARTER one of these Power Cats (or several) and see what I prefer in make and model and features.

Good luck on your choices. And if you ever get one of these, I will be happy to join you (or other owners of these) as temporary crew, as I would like to get some time on one, so I can see if I would be happy with one for myself (I think I would).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Cat Lagoon 43 2002 water.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	107484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Cat Lagoon 43 2002 speed.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	107485  

Name:	Power Cat Lagoon 43 2002 Stern.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	107486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Cat Lagoon 43 2002 clearance.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	107487  

Name:	Power Cat Lagoon 43 2002 beached.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	107488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Cat Lagoon 43 2002 Salon.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	107489  

Name:	Power Cat Lagoon 43 2002 salon2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	107490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Cat Lagoon 43 2002 PLAN.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	107491  

Name:	Power Cat Lagoon 43 2002 master.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	107492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Cat Lagoon 43 2002 guest 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	107493  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 17:07   #35

Hi there, I do like your foroum very much , Can I ask the make of your boat as looking to become a liveaboard in 5 years aswell , but doing home workon the type of boat, Power boat that is,QUOTE=Lepke;1892103]Since you're talking power boats...
I'm 67 and because of my family, I have been around boats, ships and the sea since I was 7. Ne boating people I see that become disinchanted are usually bothered by the unexpected action and discomfort of the ocean. Often caused by buying a boat too small and pushing ocean trips before they are ready.
I live on a twin screw power boat, partially because arthritis that I have would become inflamed with a lot of sail handling requirements. But also because of years at sea and the many experiences of discomfort. In my retirement, I prefer comfort as much as possible. What makes power boats expensive when cruising is speed. Fast power boats usually have turbo diesel using 30+ gallons an hour each and the high engine temperatures from turbos require more frequent overhauls. I have a 80 ton, 83' boat that uses about 8.5 gallons an hour @ 10 knots. I consider that excellent mileage for a boat this size. My mains are Detroit 671's, non-turbo that are easily good for 10,000 hours plus with care. The boat has massive windage but it doesn't seem to be a problem on the ocean. It can make docking problematic. I also have a washer, dryer and dishwasher. Some of the comforts most wives like.
You may be able to find people in your area (I'm assuming the East Coast) that would invite you aboard and give you some direct experience. Many would probably be open for shared expenses.
If you're thinking of buying a boat that needs work, time needed could be more than your aircraft experience. Aircraft can't be in terrible shape and still fly. Boats can be in terrible shape and still float. There can be many hidden problems that are discovered by a surface repair. Also, if thinking of a wood boat, it's not a good idea to let the hull completely dry out. The wood shrinks and the seams get very large. Look for transport services in your area and get a quote on the type of boat you wish to move.[/QUOTE]
maxum46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 17:09   #36

Hi there, I do like your forum very much , Can I ask the make of your boat as looking to become a live aboard in 5 years as well , but doing home work on the type of boat, Power boat that is,I am new to this sight, but do all ways read them , quite good information,
Old 17-08-2015, 18:45   #37

Hi again,
I seemed to of added a question to your ADD,sorry about that,
First timer>

I've been ready your comments
and liked that you stated you live a steel hull 80 odd ft power boat,
I am looking at be a live aboard with my wife in around 5 years as well, we are from AU, And recently sold our 46 Maxum to up grade to larger size,
(more like a home),and am open for any suggestions,
we are looking for a 70 ft to 80 ft power boat , not for speed more economical,
but a big volume layout ,and have been looking for a while now, we have come a across a steel hull,97 model in US but was concerned about rust issues, is it wise to look at steel hull around this age? Or should we stick to the Fibreglass hulls.
Old 17-08-2015, 23:12   #38

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Steady Hand gave you very good advice. For you I would vote on the power-cat.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 02:58   #39

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
1. Boat type
Let your admiral decide. You will probably get a home like boat instead of a tech monster. You want the project to be also her project and dream.

Any size is good as long as it meets tour space requirements and your budget.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 05:26   #40

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
It looks like you have to get above 50' in order to have a 2nd stateroom. Most of all of them have a sun deck, pilot house, salon/galley combo. A VIP suite typically on 45'+ and a third stateroom on 55'+

I am planning on going to trawler fest in Maryland this fall. I will make it a point to check out the Krogen.

Some boats as short a 34-34' have second staterooms... of sorts. Our 42 has a second stateroom... It's not great, but we purposely don't host many guests anyway. I'd have preferred a single-stateroom model in our length boat, using that second stateroom space to improve access to systems (maintenance and repair) and to improve space for other functions.

IOW, depending on your family/guest intentions... more staterooms is not always a better option. Some makers offer optional layouts to address some of that.

Trawlerfest should be a good educational stop for you. Another thing you might try is joining the Hatteras owners group. Whether you end up with a Hatt or not, their info (including models and layout diagrams, etc.) would likely be very educational, too.

And if you're finding other models in yachtworld that seem interesting, look for that brand's owners group, too.

-Chris
Old 18-08-2015, 09:58   #41

In answer to making the liveaboard decision..my husband has been pushing for years to do this. I just was not ready. we finally compromised by buying a beautiful but smaller sailboat (31 ft) rather than a full live aboard for more money. we are using this boat and time to really see how it feels and how we do before we invest $500,000. I need to know I want to and can do this. I am very happy with this decision and we have a couple years before we decide to make the big jump. this worked great for us. and this boat is in great shape which makes it even nicer.
jcord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard