Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2016, 18:19   #16

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: Making A Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Also, there is a helpful, sewing sub-forum here on CF if you go to the tab which says "Community", & look through the list of options which it gives you. Click on where it says "Groups", & select "All Groups". That, or click here Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sewing Group. Boat canvas projects
Thanks for the head's up!!! I'll go check it out.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 18:21   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Hey now, sarcasm does not become you. No "dumb questions" right?
Thanks for filling me in.
Sorry if you took that as sarcasm... not intended that way at all.

Jim
Old 31-10-2016, 18:21   #18

For what it's worth, pro upholstery shop guys cut their foam with a bandsaw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9736.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	134534  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 18:32   #19

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Good foam is no longer cheap....

Many cushion makers use this...

http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reco...FQgaaQodCHkF7g

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 18:40   #20

Boat: Leopard L38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Ikea has very affordable good quality synthetic and natural latex mattresses. Cut with hacksaw. They also have good water resistant mattress liner/covers that you can use.
I'm sorry, nothing IKEA sells is good quality. :-) Just my opinion.
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 18:41   #21

I've had great luck with these guys:

Foam Mattresses | Foam Factory, Inc.

I've used three of their foams - Lux HQ (very firm) , HD36-HQ, and Latex. What I do is make a bottom layer of the HD36-HQ, then 2"-3" of latex "topper", and then a final "convoluted foam topper of the Lux HQ - I think the eggcrate sleeps cooler in hot weather. You could save some money by skipping the latex and just use the HD36-HQ and the eggcrate topper. I'm not sure you'd feel the difference. And this stuff is so cheap you can experiment to find the right feel (and even try different foams for different sides of the bed by buying two twin size and cutting them narrower.

Each layer is thin enough to cut with scissors or a box-cutter. And if one layer goes bad, I just replace that one. I don't use any glue between layers.

I get one of their basic mattress covers for the bottom two layers but just put a fitted bottom sheet over the eggcrate topper. I replace the eggcrate every few years when it starts to seem tired or if it picks up any "boat smell". Queen size is only $50.

If the bed is only a bed (e.g. not also a settee), I strongly suggest putting something under the mattress. The Froli is good but expensive. I get a slat system from Ikea and then cut it to fit with a hand saw. You can adjust the individual slats to fit your body and weight.

LÖNSET Slatted bed base - , Queen - IKEA
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 18:48   #22

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
What? How can you say that? Neigh I say! The meatballs are a definite must!

And where else can you get a top shelf lingonberry beverage?
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 19:10   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
What? How can you say that? Neigh I say! The meatballs are a definite must!
I saw what you did there.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 00:28   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sea Dreaming and scarlet, don't worry about the electric carving knife if you don't have access to one. We've done quite well with a Cutco scalloped edge bread knife. You want to hold it vertical to the foam, and use the same pressure on all strokes. The small ridges will disappear with the tight cover.

And, I hate velcro for the job, because it is difficult to get to lie flat and do its job, it is stiff, and is vulnerable to change in the washing, much prefer sewn in plastic zips. Personal preference here. Ymmv.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:07   #25

I made a foam mattress for a camper trailer some years back. Bought the foam from these folks... Foam, Neoprene, Cushions, Latex Mattress, Outdoor Furniture Cushions, Sunbrella Fabrics

I was very pleased with the price and the service, as well as the quality of the foam. They have some good advice on the website, and if you call them they are (or, at least, they used to be) very happy to discuss your needs with you.

Good luck!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:25   #26

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
When I was at the boat show">Annapolis boat show, I talked to a couple of vendors who sold really good marine mattresses (which could be customized). To say the prices were completely ridiculous is an understatement.

As I looked at the cross section of the mattresses, Most of them seemed like they were just foam, of different density and softness, layered on top of each other. Then, of course, they were covered. Foam is relatively cheap.. So, couldn't you just buy the foam, and cover it?

Anyone do this?
That is how we do it. until a few years ago ( maybe 10) if you wanted a boat mattress you just either went to an upholstery shop and gave measurements or you bought foam and fabric and did it yourself. no magic here. just take measurements and go for it!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:47   #27

Boat: Tartan 37

Bought a 8 in memory foam Cal King mattress off amazon. Cut with electric knife to fit. Bought US made mattresss and knife all for under $240. Sleeps great. One tip, if for V-berth cut foam at a angle to fit tight against hull.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:28   #28

Boat: Valiant 40

As noted there is quite a variety of foams that you can use and they vary in terms of density, firmness, and quality. Latex is the "king" of foams and will give you the "best" (of course that's subjective) support and comfort when laid on a hard board, but it is very expensive and does not breath at all. Some simply don't like what it feels like. YMMV.

Foam has two significant variables to keep in mind. It's firmness and resilience, and it's quality. Lower quality foam will break down faster, leading to that dreaded "trough". In general you get what you pay for, and given the cost of foam and the work involved in making a mattress out of it, you're probably best served by buying the best quality foam you can afford.

Do be careful where you buy your foam. If you go to your local "House of Foam" store there is an excellent chance that they will say it's one thing and it's actually another, since few customers are in any position to know the difference. Trust me. I know from experience. Buy from a reputable source.

I have 6" foam on my berth. It's decent quality, and firmness, but if and when I need to replace it I'm going to look into sandwiching different densities to make it more supportive.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:04   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

[QUOTE=Jim Cate;2247877Was told by the last vendor I dealt with that foam does not do well when directly on a hard surface, like most marine berths provide. He would not allow the normal warranty (5 years) unless it was used over a household type spring base. I don't know how to best deal with this.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim, a Froli does a decent job of emulating a "Box spring" what we call them down South, I'm not sure if that is the proper term or not.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:11   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
Depends on what you're talking about. They're mass production goods with a certain price point. In the context of foam mattresses, I'll be challenged to find a better mass supplier of latex mattresses.

In re mattress box spring, Jim see if you can add a ventilation slat layer under the mattress. All you need is some furling strips.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote