Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2013, 19:33   #16

Boat: Catalina 27
We regret most the things we never tried. Go get a boat and be regret free.
biohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 20:57   #17

Re: Major leap of faith... Call me crazy (I don't care!)

I say go for it! Life is short and you certainly do not want any regrets. Sailing, scuba diving and flying are three child hood dreams of mine. I learned to scuba dive a few years ago and have dove the Caribbean and California. This past year I've been finishing up my private pilot license and love flying planes. Next step is get my sea legs. Try it first with a basic course then make the leap.
cruisernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 19:19   #18

I was where you are at in January of this year. I read and researched for two years, everyone I knew thought I was nuts (a few still do). I made the leap, bought a boat, basically taught myself how to sail ( I don't recommend this) and I love my life more now than I ever have. Oh I live on my boat too. I can't wait to go cruising, I have two years left in the military. Go for it, no regrets.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 20:08   #19

Boat: PETERSON 44
Loons have this call that is familiar and eerie. Desperation is eerie an not unfamiliar . Are you putting out there that you wish to be near water. Or have just realized your age and need a boat?. You have this list of conditions that are irrelevant to boating. Not sure what the issue or question is.
You still wind up with you on a boat. Which is better then you without a boat.. Smile.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 20:17   #20

Boat: Carri craft, 63ft

Wow its nice to see im not the only nut.Im 50 and have been land locked all my life. I was adpted in ARK but my birth parents were from east coast FL.I have felt the pull of the water all my life 2 months ago i bought a 63Ft pwr cat to live on and she is being repainted as i type in Tampa.I JAN i will leave Mountains of Afghanistan and go and start MY new life on the water in FL. My sister will not talk to me as i have bought a boat to live on and am leaving AR. I might ad i have no wife, kids or parents so its MY LIFE TO LIVE!!! AND crazy or not, Im going to live it.If i fail il tell the storys. while i sit and tell the storys of my time in Afghan.
gregjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28   #21

I don't think your idea is crazy at all........I have been thinking about this for some time now......reading and trying to understand " what it is really like) and not the fantasy of it

My take is that is just a different way to live not noticeably cheaper and always work to be done but it does offer what some might call almost total freedom....of course with dangers . But I believe you have to ask yourself what if ....if you go to sea, like it and enjoy it then you win...even if you find your demise at sea is it better to have lived less years with adventure and no regret or to live more years with the " what if" .....and the rigid rule of society.

I think some day I may wander to the sea....just can't yet. But I do think preparing, taking lessons, learning hands on as much as one can will improve your odds and your experience .

Good luck and let us land locked Louisiana people know how you come out!!
Laengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I lived aboard (in only 28’) full time for seven years after a divorce… and almost 14 years on and off over my life. I did not regret an instant (well maybe Hurricane Andrew, but I digress)….. Go for it, as it only gets harder as we age! At 54, I would do it again in an instant, but it would have to be a damn-sight larger than 28’! In the mean time, I’m happy in a little 400 sq foot cottage!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:09   #23

Sounds like a great plan, AND you CAN do it. Many, many have, of all genders.

Buy "Sailing For Dummies" -- really, it's a great book for starters and experiened skippers alike.

There are TONS of posts on this forum about folks just starting out, most have responses like the ones here.

Make and live YOUR dream.

Fair winds.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wandering Loon:

In my experience, no committed land dweller can ever cope with how the pull of the sea affects some of us others. So you'll have to decide to what extent to allow family and friends' inputs to keep you near. It can be a hard one, all important choices have a side of giving up some 'things' important to you.

Of course, it can be done, both as a female singlehander, and as skipper with crew: that's something the future will settle. In the meantime, it's getting to the end of the season where you live. Ask yourself if you're ready to move somewhere the weather is warm and there is still sailing. The answer to that [I used to write stuff like this down in two columns, the positives and the negatives of an answer] will tell you more about yourself, and possibly lead to the next step. Keep your eyes open for mentoring along the way.

In the meantime learn as much as ever you can!

Good luck, and stay centered,

Ann
Old 02-11-2013, 12:00   #25

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2165687822.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	69735

Reason enough.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06   #26

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

If I posted to the forum I was going to sell by 60ft catamaran (everything I own) and join a commune in Arizona with 1 guy and 10 women, what would be their advice? (note I'm a women in this scenerio)
My family and friends tell me I am crazy, do I care what they think?
I asked a forum on underground off-grid living, and some anonymous internet strangers think it is great, I should do what I really want!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34   #27

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Go for it!!! I having been dreaming about living aboard for about 10 years now, and a few months ago we finally bought our liveaboard sailboat! We have been spending weekends aboard, and hope to be fully living on her by next summer.
MysticKnotworkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 13:24   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Hey loonie, you have already waited too long. Do it now.

We did it for almost 20 years and have been forced by circumstance to give it up but, life is on the water, the rest is just waiting.
Old 02-11-2013, 13:29   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

The hardest thing about living aboard and/or going cruising is to stop dreaming and start doing. If a Bozo like me could figure it out...heck...anyone can, with all due respect to fellow Bozos!

Just be prepared for some if not most of your family and friends to think you are crazy, which isn't a problem, because once you make the move, you will look at how they live their lives as CRAZY.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 19:37   #30

Boat: Catalina 27
Hey there Wandering,
Go go go! The longer you wait the more likely you will talk yourself out of the crazy adventure. Ask: What do you have to lose.....
biohead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal