Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 08:46   #31

Re: Maintenance Cost V.S. Property Tax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post

Amen!!!

I utilize military base campgrounds/marinas which IMO has a better crowd/class of people but then I'm military...
So there's no ex-Military living on the streets, in poor housing, or on run down boats then?

Yeah right . . . . . .
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 12:08   #32

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I pay property tax on my home as well as on the boat and its rented berth. My boat's property tax would be greater than on my house if the boat was located in my residential county. Presently, the tax amounts are about equal.

Home association fees are about one-third more the boat's berthage.

Maintenance for the boat is many times more than my home (most maintenance is covered by the association fees).

It all depends on your particular situation.
Old 18-03-2016, 12:18   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I pay property tax on my home as well as on the boat and its rented berth. My boat's property tax would be greater than on my house if the boat was located in my residential county. Presently, the tax amounts are about equal.

Home association fees are about one-third more the boat's berthage.

Maintenance for the boat is many times more than my home (most maintenance is covered by the association fees).

It all depends on your particular situation.
Ah, but your power boat has a big diesel that takes $$$ to maintain. Gee an oil change for me is $10, including filter and 1/2 gallon of rotilla. A small older sailboat with a small diesel is pretty inexpensive to own, compared to a house or condo.

Its not just the house or condo costs it's all the utilities, (power, phone cable), yard care, trash, etc. Having owned both, I'll take a boat any day.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 12:18   #34

Boat: 1990 Hunter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Its not just the house or condo costs it's all the utilities, (power, phone cable), yard care, trash, etc. Having owned both, I'll take a boat any day.

I'm glad you bring up the extra associated expenses on a house, which most people seem to forget. For example, I don't even have an extra internet bill since I just hotspot tether off my phone (7gb free every month for tethering). Plus, I HATE cutting grass...
Old 22-03-2016, 12:20   #35

Boat: 1990 Hunter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
To compare living/maintenance costs of living on a yacht to living in a condo/house is laughable...like comparing day to night or carnivores to herbivores IMO...again more reasonable/rational/realistic comparison is cost of living/maintenance of living outta a car/RV to liveaboard boat/yacht

I think you bring a fantastic point about the comparison. I think perhaps I should have compared liveaboards to RV's.

I think I keep my boat the cleanest out of any liveabord around here, I know what you mean about those who converted their boats to floating homes instead of keeping them boats lol.

Tags
maintenance, rope