Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 18:20   #1

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA
Mail Service in Texas

Does anyone know of a mail service, like the St. Brendan's Isle in FL, in Texas? We are currently Texas residence but don't have any family here to maintain it unless we use a mail service.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 20:47   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Mail Service in Texas

UPS stores generally have post boxes for mail service. They'll receive parcels and forward mail.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 20:58   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

SBI has specialized in providing services to cruisers, but any UPS Store like business can do the same. Ive used others in Texas & Florida for many years.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 21:53   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Texas doesn’t allow for a PO Box as a legal residence. That’s what we’d need since we wouldn’t have a house in Texas and want to maintain our Texas residence.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 22:36   #5

Not just Texas. Some State & Fed agencies require a physical residential address for some things, but not many things.

However, Ive been using a PMB (private mail box) in Austin, Texas for almost 20 years now for almost everything.
Old 05-12-2018, 22:38   #6

Not trying to pry, but why do you need residency in TX?
Old 06-12-2018, 00:16   #7

Boat: Mumby 48

Shellback, I can strongly recommend Kay Wanamaker at ReMailplus@gmail.com (Tomball) She's great! And it's not expensive. I forget what I pay; maybe $125/year plus forwarding postage at cost. She's very personal. If it looks important she'll email me and open and scan it if I ask her. She has a PO Box but let's you use her home address (The Midlands) I'm on Texas voting rolls from that address. I used her for years, took a US break then moved back overseas and use her service now. We don't get much mail since most stuff is online now. But I needed an address to sign up for credit cards and banks need a physical address even if it's done online. Tell her you know me. Craig in Portugal
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:08   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, the need for a real residential, non-mail-forwarding address for "domicile" purposes has been increasing and will accelerate.

Not just for legal / gov purposes but many financial providers now blacklist maildrop addresses.

Best also if consistent across the board, domicile for "residential", letterbox for "mailing" address.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes, the need for a real residential, non-mail-forwarding address for "domicile" purposes has been increasing and will accelerate.

Not just for legal / gov purposes but many financial providers now blacklist maildrop addresses.

Best also if consistent across the board, domicile for "residential", letterbox for "mailing" address.
The ultimate reason for a physical domicile is so authorities can lay their hands on you. I learned early on they dont like citizens not to have a permanent physical address.

However, you can establish "domicile" for tax purposes without having a physical personal address there.

I have needed a physical address for things like driver's liscense.

Have never had issues with financial instituitions, but Ive had the same accounts for decades.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47   #10

Boat: Leopard 43

Look at

https://scanmailboxes.com
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:08   #11

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Earth Class Mail has 5 locations in Texas. Buddy of mine has used them for years. I use them for a bit too.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:14   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The ultimate reason for a physical domicile is so authorities can lay their hands on you. I learned early on they dont like citizens not to have a permanent physical address.

However, you can establish "domicile" for tax purposes without having a physical personal address there.

I have needed a physical address for things like driver's liscense.

Have never had issues with financial instituitions, but Ive had the same accounts for decades.
Not just DMV, nor just gov entities.

And anectodal past performance is no guarantee of future results.

As I said, this requirement is getting tightened up. Trying to use commercial letterbox address as your residential address with insurers, brokerages, banks will often get refused these days.

Mailing address no one cares.

I prefer to use a single domicile address for all such purposes for consistency, since cross-correlating public/private databases is now so common. I used to say only use a trusted friend/family S&B home for that, and IMO that's still first choice.

But if/when we see local / state authorities are willing to explicitly accommodate the needs of nomad citizens by providing sanctioned alternatives, I think it is in our interest to see if they can be made more widespread.

My thread here is best to continue this de-rail, sorry
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tc-208306.html
Old 06-12-2018, 09:23   #13
cruiser

wow brain fart sorry
Old 06-12-2018, 09:26   #14
cruiser

ditto
Old 06-12-2018, 13:18   #15

Boat: Admiral 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
Does anyone know of a mail service, like the St. Brendan's Isle in FL, in Texas? We are currently Texas residence but don't have any family here to maintain it unless we use a mail service.
We use Texas Home Base in Wichita Falls Texas. We have a address and they scan and forward mail
TrialRum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, texas