Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 13:42   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Mail Forwarding - St Brendan Isle

I was looking at sitting up mail forwarding for later being able to change to a Florida address and the stuff that goes along with that. Since all I've ever read about was how great St Brendan's Isle is I started there.

I notice that for the Cruiser's Home Port plan it is $2/mo than any other plan. When I asked them why they said it is because it "comes" with the Discount Marine Supply that is going to save me money on parts. But today everything is on-line plus I have a Port Supply membership, so I don't see this Discount Marine Supply thing saving me any money.

So for those using SBI are you saving any money getting boat parts via this Discount marine Supply thing?
Old 07-06-2016, 13:57   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Mail Forwarding - St Brendan Isle

We use SBI for their mail services, not for marine discounts. That said, if you purchased through them you'd probably save on shipping agrivation to overseas locations.

They are a very professional outfit. We have little shipped to us, as we have them scan what we want.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:54   #3
CLOD

I thought there would be more CF member experience on this one
Old 08-06-2016, 07:08   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I thought there would be more CF member experience on this one
I'd allow at least a day to judge the lack of response, but maybe you're right. There might not be many who have an opinion.

As for myself, I can't claim a varied experience with mail forwarding services. I used extended family members before SBI. I see that there are a number of services that one could choose.

Some, like USGlobal Mail have a lower price/monthfor an individual, but a higher cost for the family. I see choices of Mail Call (San Diego), Dakota Post (South Dakota), NYMail (for that 5th ave. NYC address) and iPostal1 Digital Mailbox with twenty Florida addresses with a smart phone ap.

These are the reasons why I use Saint Brendan's Isle:
1- I'm doggedly consistent! 'same career for 32 years, 'same wife for 47 years, 'same boat for 31 years, 'same mail service for 14 years.
2- SBI is near my "homeport" of 43 years and I sometimes pick up at the "brick & mortar" store. I know, trust and respect the staff.
3- Over the 14 years using SBI I did complain about one missing package. I was offered monetary compensation, but after some time the package was recovered, found to be mislabeled and given to me with a gracious apology. I never had that record of service with just the USPS.
4- I've had personal support with not only mail forwarding, but residency, voter's registration, US Census forms, etc.
5- Even if I catch up with technology and have a smart phone and start "hailing" Uber drivers, SBI has those technical services that I don't currently use.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:10   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
We use SBI for their mail services, not for marine discounts. -----They are a very professional outfit. -----
Me too.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:52   #6

How does Florida residency compare to Nevada residency, as far as tax advantages? I'm also getting ready to use a mail forwarder, and I need to get the California off me.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:00   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
How does Florida residency compare to Nevada residency, as far as tax advantages? I'm also getting ready to use a mail forwarder, and I need to get the California off me.
If you go to SBI's website they have info about that. But it is more than the tax advantage of no state income tax (I already live in one of those and could just use my daughters address, but my wife is from Green Cove Springs FL and we could just use one of her relatives). There are also things like health insurance to consider.

I haven't looked at anyone else other than SBI. I don't really have a problem with the costs other than that the cruiser one is $2 more for really nothing. There's big claim on the SBI site saying that $2/mo will save me enough to pay for the whole service and that is the focus of my question as to whether that's true based on user experience.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:46   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you go to SBI's website they have info about that. But it is more than the tax advantage of no state income tax (I already live in one of those and could just use my daughters address, but my wife is from Green Cove Springs FL and we could just use one of her relatives). There are also things like health insurance to consider.

I haven't looked at anyone else other than SBI. I don't really have a problem with the costs other than that the cruiser one is $2 more for really nothing. There's big claim on the SBI site saying that $2/mo will save me enough to pay for the whole service and that is the focus of my question as to whether that's true based on user experience.
If you don't get an answer on this specific issue then give them a test case to see. Ask what they would quote on some marine item and then compare that to what you could get.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:55   #9

WADR, in this particular case what other people do shouldn't mean anything.

Let's say Skipper Joe buys the $2/month plan. Joe has a boat he loves, and is embarking on a well due overhaul. He has to buy a LOT of things.

Let's also say Skipper sailorboy1, you know: lots like you, just finished a lot of work on his boat and is going sailing, sailing, sailing. Yeah, sure, he may need a thing or two, but nothing like Skipper Joe.

Those are YOUR choices, no one elses.

The ONLY value of any feature or promotion is what it means to YOU, not what may be a great deal for Joe.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote