Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 19:54   #406

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I guess the point I was trying to make is that costs are dependent on amount of nm sailed - just as with a car - drive 10k miles per year and you have X costs. Drive 100k miles per year and your costs are vastly different.

food, booze, entertainment are individual - some eat meat - some don't. some drink booze - some don't. some smoke - some don't. all individual choices. these expenses are variable and can be controlled - boat maintenance and repairs are more difficult
Agreed. That's what I meant when I said:

Quote:
Costs will vary considerable based on general lifestyle choices, location, crew size, type of boat, goals/ambitions for cruising, type of sailing you undertake, and a whole slough of other factors. This is why it's hard to find apples-to-apples comparisons.
So far my big traveling seasons have been around 1500-2000 nm. Some seasons I might travel less than 100 nm. I'm not crossing oceans (so far), and sail conservatively. I do tend to travel off the beaten path most of the time, and spend as little time as possible at a dock. But I'm not trying to get or do anything in particular. For me, it's just life.

I think my cruising pattern is more the norm for most cruisers. The numbers that cross oceans on a regular basis are few. Most of us cruise in a regional zone, for less than 12 months/year.
Old 02-05-2020, 20:32   #407

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Carsten, your an outlier.
...However I could go the low buck route, instead of replacing, I could do more fixing, I could do my own sail repairs etc...

...Oh, and preventative maintenance can in fact keep most things from breaking, that’s the basis of aircraft maintenance, you determine overhaul / replacement schedules for any critical item, that alternator could have been overhauled before failure...
It's slightly different for an aircraft, it's sort of hard to replace a part while in flight.

But our approach is to carry sufficient spares to be able to replace an item or a system without needing to turn back to port. A philosophy of ours is:

Don't go to the boat store to buy a part you need to fix the boat. Go there to replace the spare you just used.

For key systems I have redundant spares (more than one spare).

With that approach it makes financial sense to wait until a part fails. That way you get every last mile or hour out of it. It usually doesn't cost any more to rebuild a failed part then to rebuild one which is simply due.

As far as fixing or doing my own sail repairs, it's all about making the buck go as far as possible. My labor costs me nothing. So I fix everything myself, if I can. This season I jacked up my engine, removed the transmission and other stuff, and replaced the rear main oil seal. I didn't know how, but my wife and I did it. It saved me about $600 in labor. My sail repairs (needed often due to racing) save me hundreds of dollars a season.

I don't really have a choice, financially, but even if I could pay someone else to do it, I feel some satisfaction by doing it myself.

Plus, sometimes, often, it's hard to get someone to do it the way you want it done.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:25   #408

Boat: 34 foot Ebbtide Steel Hull

Guys/gals

I'm new here, I thought this was going to be a really good topic with 25 pages of really useful information.

I'm at page 15. And I'm giving up, seriously I am actually disappointed in some of the posters. This should have been 25 pages of good information!!!

I came away from other forums because of bickering and trolling thinking a crusers forum would be full of wise people that have seen the world and do not want to be petty and bicker with each other!

Boys put your tape measures away and shake hands LIKE ADULTS.

I live aboard for just under £500 a month, but this is my first month and I have a lot of maintenance to do. Will try and break it down later.
Old 03-05-2020, 13:03   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culwatty View Post
Guys/gals

I'm new here, I thought this was going to be a really good topic with 25 pages of really useful information.

I'm at page 15. And I'm giving up, seriously I am actually disappointed in some of the posters. This should have been 25 pages of good information!!!

I came away from other forums because of bickering and trolling thinking a crusers forum would be full of wise people that have seen the world and do not want to be petty and bicker with each other!

I live aboard for just under £500 a month, but this is my first month and I have a lot of maintenance to do. Will try and break it down later.
Agreed! I did my first post a couple pages back, with the same sentiment. I look forward to more of your posts and findings.

RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 14:25   #410

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Guys/gals

As a long time contributor to this forum, I'm always saddened to see posts like this. There are indeed some wise people here, folks who have spent untold hours trying to pass on hard won knowledge to the world of cruisers. As in any large group, there are also a few dick heads who not only fail to contribute useful stuff but mess up the scene for those who do.

So, Culwatty, if you require pure unadulterated knowledge with zero extraneous clutter, go buy a textbook. In the meantime, it is both boorish and unwelcome to complain when you yourself have contributed nothing to the forum.

A not so ADULT

Jim
Old 03-05-2020, 14:52   #411

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Guys/gals

I appreciate your info. Not really living up to your own standards with regard to tone, but glad to welcome another frugal cruiser.
Old 03-05-2020, 15:10   #412
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As a long time contributor to this forum, I'm always saddened to see posts like this. There are indeed some wise people here, folks who have spent untold hours trying to pass on hard won knowledge to the world of cruisers. As in any large group, there are also a few dick heads who not only fail to contribute useful stuff but mess up the scene for those who do.

So, Culwatty, if you require pure unadulterated knowledge with zero extraneous clutter, go buy a textbook. In the meantime, it is both boorish and unwelcome to complain when you yourself have contributed nothing to the forum.

A not so ADULT

Jim

Great post Jim, but your use of the words “dick heads” sadly placed you in the same category of those calling other’s childish and another insisting on others to act like adults.
I have no problems with those speaking their minds, but name calling....
Maybe I’m overly sensitive being a proud “dick head”!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 16:03   #413

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Maybe I’m overly sensitive being a proud “dick head”!
Perhaps yes, overly sensitive, but if I've offended, I apologize.

Jim
Old 03-05-2020, 16:19   #414
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Perhaps yes, overly sensitive, but if I've offended, I apologize.

Jim

No apology necessary as the overly sensitive was a joke.
I’m sure you understood the meaning of my post?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 17:21   #415
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

[QUOTE=Culwatty;3131244]Guys/gals

I live aboard for just under £500 a month, but this is my first month and I have a lot of maintenance to do. Will try and break it down later.[/QUOTE]

Funny how that got all screwed up again. I pretty much gave up on it also. The "maintenance" can run into serious money. The best use you can make of CF is specific help on cost effective solutions. (Maybe I think)!

Also the $1000 boat guy I mentioned bought a very old boat cheap that did have good rigging, engine and I assume sails. That was about it, but he could deal with that and was a very experienced cruiser and reportedly marine tradesman.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:58   #416

Boat: Watkins 27

Low cost cruising details...see post 397 for previous.

May 2020

Things are still in a bit of a lock down mode so not a lot to spend cash on. Google Fi is high again as well, using more internet with the lockdown.

Google Fi $137
Garmin in Reach $13
Stanial Cay Yacht Club water $10
Stanial Cay liquor store $30
Stanial Cay grocery stores $86
Google books $8
Impeller for YSM12R $15

Total May is $300

Now, I have some deferred maintenance. Impeller broke up, easy replacement however when I went to reopen my raw water intake, it wouldn't open...handle to ball valve failure.

No spare onboard so I disconnected the sink drain and attached the raw water intake there. Can't use the sink drain but we can motor as needed.

So a new ball valve/seacock once I get back to Florida.

Be safe all.
DaLuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 14:12   #417
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Well I read this whole thread in 1 sitting. Even with the magic of the "ignored" list this took some time. 416 posts and I think maybe 5 of which answered the thread question with anything close to a breakdown that a wannabe could use to plot out a plan.
Old 09-08-2020, 15:16   #418

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

It costs what you can afford.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 15:21   #419

Boat: 34 foot Ebbtide Steel Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well I read this whole thread in 1 sitting. Even with the magic of the "ignored" list this took some time. 416 posts and I think maybe 5 of which answered the thread question with anything close to a breakdown that a wannabe could use to plot out a plan.
I do have the last few months but am yet to break it all down so its accountable, I think you have to take the good with the bad mate
Old 09-08-2020, 15:58   #420

Boat: Bristol 27

Small boat cruising is probably the better way to go.

You can afford the boat, a home, several vehicles, bikes, furniture, etc for what some of you are paying for cruising a larger boat that is stuck at a marina for a few months each year.

Summer time is more than just boats at a marina......as is the fall etc

Scenery along the Chesapeake Bay......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ESVA South.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	220983   Click image for larger version

Name:	bay.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	220984