Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 17:34   #376
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

The OP hangs out with marina people on a marina cruiser type boat. He doesn't understand the budget cruiser, because there really aren't that many. They've always been a somewhat elusive group and Sterling Hayden's advice probably is more true now than ever.

We just got back from a relatively expensive 3rd world dinner. $48 for a family of 4. Would have been $60 or so in Florida maybe a more as the drinks are 1/2 price here but food isn't that much less. Even at the grocery, about the same price or more for some staples at the grocery.

So the budget cruisers are the type these days that are only coming in for water and maybe a short walk around the marina property. Or maybe they're also health nuts. Hard to say at the moment, but you can generally tell. In Marathon they look homeless. Here they are good enough capitalists to get along or have some family money. And there boats look mostly functional. Downwind from the entire Caribbean right here like Marathon is basically the end of the ICW
Old 01-05-2020, 17:44   #377

Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The OP hangs out with marina people on a marina cruiser type boat. He doesn't understand the budget cruiser, because there really aren't that many. They've always been a somewhat elusive group and Sterling Hayden's advice probably is more true now than ever.

We just got back from a relatively expensive 3rd world dinner. $48 for a family of 4. Would have been $60 or so in Florida maybe a more as the drinks are 1/2 price here but food isn't that much less. Even at the grocery, about the same price or more for some staples at the grocery.

So the budget cruisers are the type these days that are only coming in for water and maybe a short walk around the marina property. Or maybe they're also health nuts. Hard to say at the moment, but you can generally tell. In Marathon they look homeless. Here they are good enough capitalists to get along or have some family money. And there boats look mostly functional. Downwind from the entire Caribbean right here like Marathon is basically the end of the ICW
Okay, so what is the ongoing monthly budget of a budget cruiser? For those of us without a dog in the fight and who may be trying to budget for a cruise, like item detail over a prolonged period is really helpful. Guesstimates are interesting, but the actual expense detail is much more helpful.

Thanks

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 18:03   #378
Marine Service Provider

How long is a piece of string? Are you happy eating lettuce sandwiches and lentils every night? Nothing to drink but tea and water? Do you have a 8hp outboard and a windvane or a turbo diesel and 2 autopilots.
Old 01-05-2020, 18:12   #379

Quote:
How long is a piece of string? Are you happy eating lettuce sandwiches and lentils every night? Nothing to drink but tea and water? Do you have a 8hp outboard and a windvane or a turbo diesel and 2 autopilots.
???? If you don't have an answer, that's fine. Just say so. There are some folks who could benefit from the experience of others - not what someone thinks it should cost, but in their experience what it has cost them . If you don't have experience or have not kept records or don't want to share, that's all good.

I don't blame Sailorboy for checking out on threads like this.
Old 01-05-2020, 18:37   #380

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

He is trying to tell you that question is unanswerable, it’s like asking how much does a car cost, or how much does a house cost. You will get answers all over the board, depending on what you decide you need.
The real honest to God answer for most truly is its cost what they have to spend, if you only have a 1,000 a month you will figure out how to live on that, but in my opinion it won’t support actual “cruising” actual cruising costs more cause the boat needs repair.
This year shocked me, up until the end of the cruise, nothing broke, I mean nothing, not even a USB charger. Then it seems it all hit about at once, my prop started rattling, my main came down when the strap that connects it to the Halyard broke, my Code Zero Halyard chafed severely. A stanchion base broke in heavy weather.
We could cruise on $2,000 a month and actually do so, we save a tremendous amount money when cruising, to the tune of over $2,000 a month, maybe $3,000 if we are particularly frugal.
When in a Maria during Hurricane season, we have a car and those costs, plus shopping and Marina costs, plus today I spent over $200 on Amazon ordering “stuff” and will spend at least that much more this week I’m shure.
This year the a pandemic cut the cruise short, but we still were able to save $9,000 in 5 months, in particular you don’t spend much when they won’t let leave or even go ashore.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 18:53   #381
Marine Service Provider

Did I mention the guy on the $1000 30'er I met here in Panama a few weeks back? He bought it in Marathon sailed it down thru the Mona Passage from Marathon, ironically in January. He's just sailed back to Florida. 25 days of sailing single handed and he's living pretty rough. I'm sure he's spending less than $500 a month because that's what he had. I'm sure he'll spend more when he has it.
Old 01-05-2020, 18:58   #382
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

the correct answer to that question is twice the distance from the center to one end.

I just loves my rice and beans . I drink coffee and water . Sometimes tea .
Quit drinking alcohol over 30 years ago . Don't miss it but that is a personal choice .

I like all types of seafood there are many varieties of seaweeds that are great eating .
Its called a sailboat for a reason. ( yes I have a diesel inboard )
Old 01-05-2020, 19:09   #383

Boat: Catalina 470

For what it's worth I've found SB"s expenses to be fairly comparable to my own and other cruiser friends I talk to, we all seem to spend approx 36-40k usd pa. Now this isnt cheap cruising ,but it's not overly expensive. It depends on the cruising you do.

Theres also a big difference between living on your boat and playing tourist, some couples I know park the boat where ever they go and then spend a small fortune on land trips.

Most of the guys I hang out with are crossing oceans therefore the boat maintenance is probably up more than most, last year was approx 6,000nm, this year will be between 4,000-9,000nm that costs me a chunk of money in wear and tear, 14k last August, 7k Jan/Feb 19 , I'm hopeing this year is less.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 19:30   #384

Boat: Rafiki 37

Guess I'll just reference my earlier post on what I spend: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3084472
Old 01-05-2020, 19:52   #385

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Guess I'll just reference my earlier post on what I spend: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3084472
My goal Mike when I finally get home is to live a more frugal life like you....accept for my morning $5 cappuccino
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 20:05   #386

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
My goal Mike when I finally get home is to live a more frugal life like you....accept for my morning $5 cappuccino
My coffee is cheap, but my beer is expensive. Craft IPAs aren't cheap! We all gotta splurge somewhere .

The fact is, if I had more to spend, I'm sure I would. But I don't, so that's all I spend.

As me ol' fadder would say: "Dale, if I had your money I'd throw mine away."
Old 01-05-2020, 23:50   #387

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

MJSailing https://www.youtube.com/user/jjohnson0882/videos (who have posted here too, if not in this thread, then in another) normally post their monthly cruising expenses at the end of each video.

They are actually out there cruising, not sitting somewhere. They don't seem to be so frugal that they live on rice and fish (and only rice if no fish caught...) but they don't seem to 'waste' money on a lot of incidentals either which seems to help keep the expenses down.

From memory I think they average around the USD1500 per month level.
Here's a screenshot from one recent video:

jmh2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 00:27   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
MJSailing https://www.youtube.com/user/jjohnson0882/videos (who have posted here too, if not in this thread, then in another) normally post their monthly cruising expenses at the end of each video.

They are actually out there cruising, not sitting somewhere. They don't seem to be so frugal that they live on rice and fish (and only rice if no fish caught...) but they don't seem to 'waste' money on a lot of incidentals either which seems to help keep the expenses down.

From memory I think they average around the USD1500 per month level.
Here's a screenshot from one recent video:

They posted something to this affect earlier.. (god i hope i used the right effect otherwise the affect may be off #DadJokesFTW)

Bonus, their channel is awesome ^^ and not a TnA based channel I really enjoy watching them and the life they live on a smaller budget
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:09   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
He is trying to tell you that question is unanswerable, itís like asking how much does a car cost, or how much does a house cost. You will get answers all over the board, depending on what you decide you need.
The question was, "if you are a long term budget cruiser, what does your longterm monthly budget look like?" That is very answerable if you are (1) a cruiser; (2) on a careful budget; (3) track your expenses; and (4) are willing to share the data. Question was not "Hey, for the keyboard jockeys out there, what do you suppose it should cost someone else to cruise?" Even that question is answerable, but if you believe otherwise, then why bother answering? It makes no sense to me.

To the person who posted the screenshot from MJSailing, thanks - I find that type of information useful.

Nature of Internet forums I suppose.....

Peter
Old 02-05-2020, 04:18   #390

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

You are welcome.

MJSailing post this data at the end of most of their videos, and if you go to their website (mjsailing.com ?) they have more cost data there too, including from refits going back years.

jmh2002 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising