Originally Posted by smj View Post
must be satire day
Old 11-03-2020, 14:17   #362
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I donít know about frugality, I doubt it is, but we are trying a Sodastream this year, took 6 of the CO2 bottles with us and a bunch of the syrups.
I looked at getting one, but it was like 20+ bottles of rum
Old 11-03-2020, 15:01   #363
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I donít know about frugality, I doubt it is, but we are trying a Sodastream this year, took 6 of the CO2 bottles with us and a bunch of the syrups. If you tried to pack all that many Sodaís it would take up a whole lot of space, so itís really a space saving thing.
Last year we just didnít do Sodaís, largely due to cost, but also space.
I donít drink as much beer as I think I will so this year Iím carrying a lot of last years beer.

But the whole smoking and cell phone thing has always blown my mind, I donít care how poor people are, they find enough money for cigarettes and the latest IPhone.
Saw a sign here at Lorainneís in Black Sound, she is selling cigarettes for only $12 a pack.
You figure at that price a pack a day smoker spends $360 a month, then throw in what they spend drinking and that blows the low budget cruiserís budget wide open.
myself I don't do beer or soda I drink water with mio. Usually the strawberry watermelon 3 bucks at Wal-Mart and a bottle does about a months water for me .

Was considering a sodastream for the kids at the house ( saves space on both ends ).
let us know how the testing goes .

That really Pisses me off as well I had the old flip phone ( all I could afford ) and there were guys that lived in tents in Seattle with top of the line phones and top shelf beer and jack .
But panhandling saying they needed food .
But tell them to get a job and you go to jail .
Old 11-03-2020, 18:12   #364

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
...For anyone looking to spend time off the boat, I'd strongly encourage you to look at this whole house sit world...
"For anyone looking to spend time off the boat"

People say that to us fairly often, but mostly I'd rather sleep in my own bed, on the boat. We'll do what it takes to be comfortable, as we did in winters in Seattle, and as we do in summer in Mexico.

AND, we have chosen a place were we can keep the boat in the water and sail year round.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 18:37   #365

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 42 cat - previous 37' aluminum mono

Quote:
I don’t know about frugality, I doubt it is, but we are trying a Sodastream this year, took 6 of the CO2 bottles with us and a bunch of the syrups. If you tried to pack all that many Soda’s it would take up a whole lot of space, so it’s really a space saving thing.
Last year we just didn’t do Soda’s, largely due to cost, but also space.
I don’t drink as much beer as I think I will so this year I’m carrying a lot of last years beer.

But the whole smoking and cell phone thing has always blown my mind, I don’t care how poor people are, they find enough money for cigarettes and the latest IPhone.
Saw a sign here at Lorainne’s in Black Sound, she is selling cigarettes for only $12 a pack.
You figure at that price a pack a day smoker spends $360 a month, then throw in what they spend drinking and that blows the low budget cruiser’s budget wide open.
We carried a 15lb co2 tank and 5 gallon bags of Coca Cola syrup on our first trip through the Caribbean. The syrup was purchased from Sam's Club before we left (we got a membership to buy batteries) and when mixed, they created 320 12oz servings of Coke. It was way cheaper than Soda Stream, didn't use their proprietary tanks, and I could have the real stuff without paying "Island" pricing.

Matt
Old 11-03-2020, 19:30   #366

Boat: a sailing boat

I can't see why giving details is important.

I look up the account on departure then again on return and divide by 10.

Our 4 Caribbean stunts (2004,2007,2012,2018) were roughly 500 USD per month. Two crew, boat 27'.

Interestingly, things are getting more expensive as we are getting smarter spending money.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 21:20   #367

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Our 4 Caribbean stunts (2004,2007,2012,2018) were roughly 500 USD per month. Two crew, boat 27'.
Interestingly, things are getting more expensive as we are getting smarter spending money.
Look up ďmonetary inflationĒ........

But, thatís not what Sailorboy1 is complaining about.........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 22:53   #368

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

@SB1

I'm surprised that you didn't load up on beer, soda, and all other provisions before leaving the USA?

Or did you already drink all the beer?
jmh2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:27   #369
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
@SB1

I'm surprised that you didn't load up on beer, soda, and all other provisions before leaving the USA?

Or did you already drink all the beer?
Did a "reasonable load up" before leaving and haven't drank it up. Just decided it was better to buy some more $48/case beer in Alice Town instead of the same for $74/case in the more remote little island store.It's expensive compared to the States, but in the big picture isn't that big a price deal to me.

As much a matter of convenience as cost.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:37   #370

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
As much a matter of convenience as cost.
Yeah, whether it's beer, rum, or more simple daily provisions, the convenience factor is important.

We used to have 6 months worth of meat, all different types of cuts, stir fry, steaks, roasts, etc, etc, all prepared in advance and vacuum packed into appropriate portions in the US and then kept frozen onboard for the duration of our cruising season down island.

Guests who would come to visit would be amazed that we would pull whole roasts out of the freezer and slow cook them in the BBQ on the aft deck.

I think back then, late 1990s, a whole season of meat prepared in this way would cost us about 400 USD.

I like to cook, and we were almost always anchored out, often in remote(ish) locations (at least as far as good food is concerned), so it was ridiculously good value.

Rum we used to purchase by the multiple case load from whatever island was cheapest that season - often St Vincent in the Grenadines - negotiating a cash deal direct with one of the wholesalers.

Beer we would purchase locally as we went along, having a change based on each island's own product.

The boat was always fully stocked up with everything that might be needed.
It was rare that we were desperate for something from ashore at a premium price.

This is a smart way to lower cruising costs too, if you have the ability to pay in advance, and store substantial provisions onboard.

jmh2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:32   #371

Boat: Rafiki 37

It's a good "low cost" approach to stock up when/where things are less expensive. This is why large storage space is vital for the frugal cruiser.
Old 12-03-2020, 14:56   #372

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Look up ďmonetary inflationĒ........

But, thatís not what Sailorboy1 is complaining about.........

We also stock on different foods. I do not eat beer.

Another thing is stocking up for a Caribbean cruising. Well, if you are small and the boat is big, OK. Or if your cruise is only 3 or months' short. Ours are 8-10 months'.

But we can only take this many pounds of pasta and flour before our boat has negative freeboard ;-) Our topside is only 2 ft tall when light.

Talking inflation though: I wonder where our democratically elected criminals and idiots take their low inflation figures from?

For our marina rate hiked by 30% last year and our bank account fees went from 25 USD per quarter to 75 USD per quarter.

And yet, when I open the newspaper, all I see is 'negative inflation rates'. Oh, really, (---ing) liars.

end - of - inflation - rant

;-(

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 14:55   #373

SailorBoy1, I have some questions and a statement. First off, not impressed with the tone and tenor from you and others here. Guy's, we are all adults, let's act like it. Unless I am missing the humor, I was quite suprised at the childishness of the first 20 pages so I skipped the last 5.

Now as you may recall, I am not a cruiser.. I am refitting a boat right now with my brothers help. But have been looking at budgets too.

I see a lot of the people claiming to be low cost cruisers also cruise in areas that are low cost to live. Those price differences can be quite easy to prove.. this is a comparison between Port Alberni, BC, Canada and Miami.. both first world, north american countries.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...atchComparison

Now if you start cruising in the developing world.. prices go down.. which could also indicate a savings on labour intensive repairs on your boat, not just food etc.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ity2=Chihuahua

Now I have questions, I do look at your budget and I wonder.. how many higher level systems do you have? Generators, watermaker, water filter, ac, washer machine?, macerator, hot water, shower, tv?, computer and cell phones? And which of those systems can be done without and thus bringing down the cruising cost. Even at $20/mo each.. or half that it adds up quick. Can you guesstimate cruising costs without those?

Your gifts? You spend more on gifts in two months then I do in a year.. eating out you spend more in a month then I do in a year.. but I am a bit of a Miser on those things. But your cruising costs far exceed my land based costs (minus the boat) in fact my income I live off of closer aligns to Mike then yours.. but I lived for many year on very little (read 25k a year.. it's all I made).. so the good paying job I have now has simply allowed me to prep for sailing.

So my suspicion is if you deduct the extravagant systems you have, go for a more basic.. tougher lifestyle it will get cheaper. If you stay away from the first world and sail in cheap to live countries you will again save... a lot of this is very personal. Some people are ok with cold showers on their boats deck, in order to get out there.. run with old systems and buy used.. keep using sails even when they are played out and inefficient. Also those who are proactive albeit low budget will spend less on maintenance on the long run too, you have also stated if I am not mistaken you buy premium level products.. generally, nothing wrong with middle of the road stuff. If I am not mistaken you implied departing with a refitted boat vs non kitted out boat creates no serious price change.. that makes no logical sense to me at all sorry. I used to move vehicles around before I came to the railroad and I drove cab too.. every vehicle that the owner was on top of, or did proactive maintenance on was cheaper to maintain in the long run (I can debate this if you need to, but can't see that being needed). So I can't imagine how it wouldn't transfer over to a boat... it may only be a change of $10/mo over a decade, but still it is a savings.

Any rate, I expressed my disappointment with some of the responses here. But this is a good discussion, worth having. I am personally planningnto have 3k/mo passive income when we go sailing, but I also try to plan for worse case scenarios... working while we cruise, delaying cruising a year or two, or living off less etc etc are all aspects I am exploring. So I read 20 pages of this thread, I still hold I want 3k/mo long term, but I think my first 10yrs could be a lot cheaper then that.. but who knows.

Any rate, I meant no disrespect.
Look forward to any and all respectful replies and clarification if everyone was just screwing about in good humor and I missed that.
RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 15:08   #374
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRailRoader View Post
SailorBoy1, I have some questions and a statement. First off, not impressed with the tone and tenor from you and others here. Guy's, we are all adults, let's act like it. Unless I am missing the humor, I was quite suprised at the childishness of the first 20 pages so I skipped the last 5.

Now as you may recall, I am not a cruiser.. I am refitting a boat right now with my brothers help. But have been looking at budgets too.

I see a lot of the people claiming to be low cost cruisers also cruise in areas that are low cost to live. Those price differences can be quite easy to prove.. this is a comparison between Port Alberni, BC, Canada and Miami.. both first world, north american countries.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...atchComparison

Now if you start cruising in the developing world.. prices go down.. which could also indicate a savings on labour intensive repairs on your boat, not just food etc.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ity2=Chihuahua

Now I have questions, I do look at your budget and I wonder.. how many higher level systems do you have? Generators, watermaker, water filter, ac, washer machine?, macerator, hot water, shower, tv?, computer and cell phones? And which of those systems can be done without and thus bringing down the cruising cost. Even at $20/mo each.. or half that it adds up quick. Can you guesstimate cruising costs without those?

Your gifts? You spend more on gifts in two months then I do in a year.. eating out you spend more in a month then I do in a year.. but I am a bit of a Miser on those things. But your cruising costs far exceed my land based costs (minus the boat) in fact my income I live off of closer aligns to Mike then yours.. but I lived for many year on very little (read 25k a year.. it's all I made).. so the good paying job I have now has simply allowed me to prep for sailing.

So my suspicion is if you deduct the extravagant systems you have, go for a more basic.. tougher lifestyle it will get cheaper. If you stay away from the first world and sail in cheap to live countries you will again save... a lot of this is very personal. Some people are ok with cold showers on their boats deck, in order to get out there.. run with old systems and buy used.. keep using sails even when they are played out and inefficient. Also those who are proactive albeit low budget will spend less on maintenance on the long run too, you have also stated if I am not mistaken you buy premium level products.. generally, nothing wrong with middle of the road stuff. If I am not mistaken you implied departing with a refitted boat vs non kitted out boat creates no serious price change.. that makes no logical sense to me at all sorry. I used to move vehicles around before I came to the railroad and I drove cab too.. every vehicle that the owner was on top of, or did proactive maintenance on was cheaper to maintain in the long run (I can debate this if you need to, but can't see that being needed). So I can't imagine how it wouldn't transfer over to a boat... it may only be a change of $10/mo over a decade, but still it is a savings.

Any rate, I expressed my disappointment with some of the responses here. But this is a good discussion, worth having. I am personally planningnto have 3k/mo passive income when we go sailing, but I also try to plan for worse case scenarios... working while we cruise, delaying cruising a year or two, or living off less etc etc are all aspects I am exploring. So I read 20 pages of this thread, I still hold I want 3k/mo long term, but I think my first 10yrs could be a lot cheaper then that.. but who knows.

Any rate, I meant no disrespect.
Look forward to any and all respectful replies and clarification if everyone was just screwing about in good humor and I missed that.
RR

So you start of complaining about others tone and tenor on this thread, and then go on to call people childish? Now that is funny!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 15:33   #375

Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
So you start of complaining about others tone and tenor on this thread, and then go on to call people childish? Now that is funny!
My read of Sailorboy's original post wasn't that his cruising was low cost, he just challenged others who would follow with criticism to do so with hard facts and numbers. After 41 months of posting his budget, I guess he knows the drill

SMJ - I agree, there is irony in this post, especially after the thread has been dormant for a month.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising