Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2020, 13:34   #256
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

I have never had the yard to "do" something

If you only spend $325/4 per yr on boat maintenance that's great for you. I know I spend more than that for things like cleaners etc. I'll leave it to you to decide how to maintain your boat.

Meanwhile the thread isn't about different boats and their costs, or how I spend my money, it's about a true accounting of the low cost people's costs.

I have little hope of the thread coming back to topic but I will make attempt at a push.
Old 06-03-2020, 13:35   #257

What’s your deal sailorboi? I’ve noticed before that your posts are pretty aggressive, rarely helpful, and not really in the spirit of maintaining a great community. Is there something going on with your life that’s making you so frustrated? Maybe your sailing friends could help if you would stop lashing out all the time. I’m not trying to get over personal with you, it just seems like maybe you could use some help. And I’m pretty sure with this community all you would have to do is be honest and ask.
liz.w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 13:36   #258
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 369thegoose View Post
Good post I’m reading all most of them and soon will buy a live aboard
I wish you happy cruising. It will cost you $1021.79/mo plus "not counting".
Old 06-03-2020, 13:43   #259
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz.w. View Post
What’s your deal sailorboi? I’ve noticed before that your posts are pretty aggressive, rarely helpful, and not really in the spirit of maintaining a great community. Is there something going on with your life that’s making you so frustrated? Maybe your sailing friends could help if you would stop lashing out all the time. I’m not trying to get over personal with you, it just seems like maybe you could use some help. And I’m pretty sure with this community all you would have to do is be honest and ask.
My life is GREAT! I have lots of real sailing and boating friends and live a wonderful life of being boat scum. My boat is well maintained and comfortable to live and travel on. Don't mistake my "sailing friends" with my internet "?".

All I want is for people to answer a question instead of just ducking it. If they don't want to that is fine, just move on instead of trying to side step it to be something about me. For example; if my posts are seem to aggressive for you stop reading them. There is a easy button for that, just right click my username on any of my posts and select ignore.
Old 06-03-2020, 14:11   #260

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
SB, not everyone is as obsessed with this issue as you seem to be, and few have the patience or even yhe skills needed to do a good job of absolute cost tracing. So I think that data like Mike's is about as good as you are likely to get, and really, isn't the bottom line figure that he gave the critical one?

Perhaps some low budget cruiser will accommodate your request, but I'd not expect a huge response to your kinda picky rules of engagement.

Jim
I don't meet sailorboy's requirement for being low budget, but I do have very detailed records (actually they go back to 1985, since we got this boat, and further).

This record does not show income or savings.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Annual Expense Summary 2004-2017.xls (28.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 06-03-2020, 14:22   #261

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
prove it with documentation
Slip fee here is $9/ft

27' boat $243/month

41' boat $369/month

Bottom Paint. Larger boat takes more. Samie same

Sails. Larger boat uses larger sails. Samie same

Autopilot. 27' boat can usually use a $450 tiller pilot. Wheel helm big boat autopilot minimum double that

Anchor and rode. Lighter and cheaper on the smaller boat

Etc, etc...it ain't rocket science

Do the math.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 14:23   #262
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I have never had the yard to "do" something

If you only spend $325/4 per yr on boat maintenance that's great for you. I know I spend more than that for things like cleaners etc. I'll leave it to you to decide how to maintain your boat.

Meanwhile the thread isn't about different boats and their costs, or how I spend my money, it's about a true accounting of the low cost people's costs.

I have little hope of the thread coming back to topic but I will make attempt at a push.
you asked for my costs ( "I" meaning a low budget cruiser )
I gave them and as usual on these type threads when you and I are both posting you call me and my ledger/ wallet a Lier . You really need to get some relaxation and chill out.
You seem to get a worse attitude the worse the economy is . Try some closed end funds they don't really get affected by the market volatility .

" Sounds to my ear that you are one paycheck away "
Old 06-03-2020, 14:39   #263

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I gave them and as usual on these type threads when you and I are both posting you call me and my ledger/ wallet a Lier . You really need to get some relaxation and chill out.
You seem to get a worse attitude the worse the economy is . Try some closed end funds they don't really get affected by the market volatility .

Yup. A number of people have posted their expenditure information for their cruising life. About a 1/2 dozen have come in around the $1000-$1500/month range. A number are higher; more like SB's. And a few are lower. But the OP simply dismisses this information, often in a rather mean-spirited manner (as a new member just pointed out).
Old 06-03-2020, 14:41   #264
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post

Not calling you a lair that I remember. If you maintain you boat on $325/4 per year that is not my problem and doesn't matter to me at all.
Old 06-03-2020, 14:44   #265
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yup. A number of people have posted their expenditure information for their cruising life. About a 1/2 dozen have come in around the $1000-$1500/month range. A number are higher; more like SB's. And a few are lower. But the OP simply dismisses this information, often in a rather mean-spirited manner (as a new member just pointed out).
NEVER have i said i don't believe you guys. I asked you to post a breakdown detail so others could plan. Sorry of you feel this is dismissing or mean sprinted just because you can not or will not.

If you guys think it bothers me that i have much better life than you, well you are wrong!
Old 06-03-2020, 14:46   #266
CLOD

Screw it

Back onto the inscribed list this goes.
Old 06-03-2020, 14:54   #267
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Not calling you a lair that I remember. If you maintain you boat on $325/4 per year that is not my problem and doesn't matter to me at all.
I'm not speaking to that specific post and we all know the truth of it all .
If you don't count labor I likely spend less that 50 bucks a year on boat specific maintenance .
But then I have agood real simple boat . I contestant all the fancy toys many new boats don't seem to survive without.
Could I yes but then I would be worried about it going Crap when I really depended on it .
Old 06-03-2020, 15:03   #268

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Your starting to lose it, LOL. Americas Cup races don't use Cats, been years. They are sailing supercharged moons...gotta get with the program, your livin in the past!
They used cats last time, in 2017. They have not raced in monohull boats since then (yet) but they will in 2020 America's Cup World Series, so the cat reference is still valid.

The boats which were used in 2017 have been standardized (made to be one-design) and are still racing in the SailGP, spectacularly.

I personally appreciate Thom225's perspective and his approach to sailing. I really wish the jerks who have snarky remarks or personal criticism would just go over to Sailing Anarchy, I don't care to see people dissed here.
Old 06-03-2020, 15:29   #269

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
...If you guys think it bothers me that i have much better life than you, well you are wrong!
Right... it sure comes across that way .
Old 06-03-2020, 15:32   #270

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

If you guys think it bothers me that i have much better life than you, well you are wrong!
Come on SB1, you are stuck on a boat over in the Bahamas with limited options.

Get a grip.

I think you should be smart and head back North. This area would be good for you with all the Navy bases etc and you could practice your sailing where it can be really tough to sail on the Chesapeake Bay which is 30 miles wide in some areas then go do a real cruise to Bermuda

The Annapolis to Bermuda race is on again this year and I for one will be sailing North to meet them coming down the Bay

There are usually several Navy 44's in the race with future Naval Officers from the Naval Academy. And those boats like all the rest are awesome

https://www.usna.edu/Sailing/lectures/navy44.php

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising