Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2020, 11:03   #226

Re: Low Cost Cruising Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
bingo and food and drink cost money ( or barter )
Depends--- was just looking at some of neighbors hogs.
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:24   #227
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
Does anyone need to know what my burial insurance that I bought in 2004 cost?
sure ifyou you want to share
Mine was 2300 for everything via Neptune Society.
Includes the body transportation from anywhere on the planet to home local.
Not a cruising expense unless you count the 400 for that transport rider.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:26   #228
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Depends--- was just looking at some of neighbors hogs.
are you going to steal that hog or barter for some of it in exchange for your labor butchering?

See it all needs to have the correct context
Old 06-03-2020, 11:33   #229

Quote:
are you going to steal that hog or barter for some of it in exchange for your labor butchering?

See it all needs to have the correct context
neither.
He has 600 + acres He has told me for years to treat as own just don't cut the Good trees= Live oaks.
https://myfwc.com/hunting/wild-hog/
One of my other neighbors has hunting dogs, He is always asking if I want to go. Out of my back door. no license needed.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:37   #230
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
only 1 other member here posting monthly cruising costs. They are on a Bristol 29.9 and spending just as much on their boat (that had refit PRIOR to leaving) as I am

you need to get a new spin line

I think the extra boat costs due my boat size is peanuts

but then spend no one post any real numbers there isn't anything to debate other than rumor

Having cruised extensively on a 33 foot mono, and now on a 46 foot cat, I can tell you that the difference is a whole lot of peanuts. In fact, it's an elephant, more than I ever anticipated. In my 33 foot days, I was right in there with the low cost folks. Now I am up in the Sailorboy range. Size does matter.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:42   #231

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
I think the extra boat costs due my boat size is peanuts
Maybe, but it's a lot of peanuts ... I looked back at the last one year of your expenses, and some of the boat expenses you mention are: Fridge, Freezer, Aircon, another aircon, diesel generator, portable generator, macerator pump, pressure water, outboard motor.

My boat hasn't required a single penny for these items, because it simply hasn't got them ... smaller boats have to make compromises by leaving out some luxuries.

We only need to look at one expense to see how a bigger boat costs more ... your new mainsail ... I bought a brand new mainsail AND genoa for about half what your mainsail alone cost.

And it's not just big costs like sails ... there is this quote of yours (which I believe is very true) ...
Quote:
I have a theory that boat costs for most cruisers/boat owners is more than they think because they don’t note all the $5-15 costs each month
If your boat is building up your expenses by nickels and dimes, mine does it by pennies and nickels ... every rope I buy is shorter (and maybe thinner), every block or shackle is lower rated, every can of paint and every sheet of canvas is smaller, every visit to a marina or boatyard is cheaper ... and every item you put back on the store shelf because you don't have room for it on your boat, I put two items back ... etc etc etc. It all adds up.

I'm sorry I don't keep detailed records for you, but I do believe you are deluding yourself if you believe that owning and maintaining a 41ft boat costs just "peanuts" more than a 27ft boat.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:51   #232
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
how many gallons to paint your bottom ?

A new main sail for me is about 1200 from fx
Likely about 4k for your boat .
I'm not knocking you but my 29 is a lot cheaper to maintain.
I don't feel it is "a lot cheaper" on a 29' boat maintained to same level.

4 gallons of paint instead of 2. I use the expensive stuff so $400 extra divided by 3 years = $11.11/mo more

Sail was $5800 (4500 for the sail and 1300 for the dutchman system added to it). The last sail lasted 19 years so 5800/4500 - 1200 = $4600/3300 divided by 19 years is $20.18/14.47/mo. Plus I bet a large boat will cover twice the distance on a set of sails as a small boat, so lasts twice as long, to get same wear and UV damage because they are up less for the distance.

Not exactly the budget busters they are made out to be now are they?

Meanwhile the comfort and extra enjoyment is Priceless.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:54   #233

Quote:
sure ifyou you want to share
Mine was 2300 for everything via Neptune Society.
Includes the body transportation from anywhere on the planet to home local.
Not a cruising expense unless you count the 400 for that transport rider.
had to get papers out mistake was 2006 not '04
Mine cost $940 at national cemetery here
Wife's was $2205 same time 2006, more because she wants family to be able to view.
I didn't see anything about transportation , but I'm not paying it after I die. any thing else?
Old 06-03-2020, 11:59   #234
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Maybe, but it's a lot of peanuts ... I looked back at the last one year of your expenses, and some of the boat expenses you mention are: Fridge, Freezer, Aircon, another aircon, diesel generator, portable generator, macerator pump, pressure water, outboard motor.

My boat hasn't required a single penny for these items, because it simply hasn't got them ... smaller boats have to make compromises by leaving out some luxuries.

We only need to look at one expense to see how a bigger boat costs more ... your new mainsail ... I bought a brand new mainsail AND genoa for about half what your mainsail alone cost.

And it's not just big costs like sails ... there is this quote of yours (which I believe is very true) ...
If your boat is building up your expenses by nickels and dimes, mine does it by pennies and nickels ... every rope I buy is shorter (and maybe thinner), every block or shackle is lower rated, every can of paint and every sheet of canvas is smaller, every visit to a marina or boatyard is cheaper ... and every item you put back on the store shelf because you don't have room for it on your boat, I put two items back ... etc etc etc. It all adds up.

I'm sorry I don't keep detailed records for you, but I do believe you are deluding yourself if you believe that owning and maintaining a 41ft boat costs just "peanuts" more than a 27ft boat.
bingo .

Lets see my spender would take 3 gallons of Trinidad Sr. My 29 will take one with enough left for my tenders bottom
300 vs 900 for just the paint. Then there is the labor it would take me about 20 hours for surface prep on the Spencer and less than 6 on the defender . ( I calculate my labor at $50 per hour.) 1k vs 300 for me to prep the hull painting time 8 hours Spencer and less than 4 for defender
So not counting yard fees

So 800 for a bottom job on my 29 includes my labor which is not out of pocket cost .
The 42 Spencer would be $2300 . Yard fees go up exponentially when you cross that magical 30 ft number .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200306-114928.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	210169  
Old 06-03-2020, 12:01   #235
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post

I keep records so I am pretty positive I'm not deluded.

This thread has now become an excellent example of the "not counting" principle of total living expenses of cruising around on a boat. I wish someone would tell me what account gets used to pay for those "not counting" items.

I have provided 41 months of expenses, leaving nothing out that left my pocket even if it was vacation off the boat. Feel free to go through the spreadsheet and come up with extra costs that are only related to having a 41' boat instead of a 29' boat. Don't respond with a blanket statement, use the data provided to support it.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:01   #236
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
had to get papers out mistake was 2006 not '04
Mine cost $940 at national cemetery here
Wife's was $2205 same time 2006, more because she wants family to be able to view.
I didn't see anything about transportation , but I'm not paying it after I die. any thing else?
embalming is expensive
Old 06-03-2020, 12:03   #237
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I keep records so I am pretty positive I'm not deluded.

This thread has now become an excellent example of the "not counting" principle of total living expenses of cruising around on a boat. I wish someone would tell me what account gets used to pay for those "not counting" items.

I have provided 41 months of expenses, leaving nothing out that left my pocket even if it was vacation off the boat. Feel free to go through the spreadsheet and come up with extra costs that are only related to having a 41' boat instead of a 29' boat. Don't respond with a blanket statement, use the data provided to support it.
see post 234 above
Old 06-03-2020, 12:09   #238
CLOD

[QUOTE=newhaul;3089330( I calculate my labor at $50 per hour.) 1k vs 300 for me to prep the hull painting time 8 hours Spencer and less than 4 for defender
[/QUOTE]

it isn't money spent if no money leaves your pocket, that's just spinning a story to try to backup a claim

if I use that a 29' boat doing the trip I did to Bimini the other day at 4 knots would have taken 14 hours more than what I did it in. So that is $700 wasted.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:10   #239
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Well ok ---- kinda----- Let me explain kinda-----

When I'm home I eat, drink water and coffee and a glass of wine evenings.so does wife , and 2 daughters.
When I'm on boat same thing except some times kids or on board and some times not. Do I call their eating an drinking as a boat cost. One daughter likes to have sundowners and invites every one see sees or knows. That can get expensive and has nothing to do with my cruising . I have read about some cruisers that have sundowners every night at a marina. That should not be a cruising cost.
I grew up on beans and biscuits. Still a favorite meal. How does that compare to cruiser that wants to eat at marina every night on steak and lobster.
Food and drink are living expense ( life style ) not a boating expense.

$3 boat cost what ever it takes for living expense.

I do think the OP has the right to determine the parameters, as this thread was a question he posed. He has also been very clear about his parameters and has documented them carefully, and I, personally, think much the same way. As in, "what does it cost me to cruise", which is a pretty all inclusive question that includes food, beverages, entertainment, maintenance, whatever. It turns out there is a fair divergence of answers to his question, but simply eliminating categories because you don't think something should not be part of it, is not one of them. I would think that would be a totally different thread!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:11   #240
CLOD

Quote:
see post 234 above
see post 232

Tags
cruising