Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 19:56   #16

Re: Looky Loos and What to Do About Them

I thought it was funny that people took photos of me and my dad. We had been out "sailing" in the keys in the summer. Since it was summer there was very little sailing and it was mostly running the engine which just helped heat up the boat which did not need heating since it was summer in south Florida.

We were motoring up the ICW in Ft. Lauderdale heading home and one of the dinner cruise boats went by us. We were tired, had not shaved in a week or so, bathed by bucket or by swimming, and we were hot from a long day in the sun. I doubt we smelled very good. As the tourist boat went by a bunch of people in their AC comfort where taking photos of us. This actually cost them money since it was in the days of film so they had to pay for the film and processing. For the life of me, I don't know why they would take pictures of us and waste the money.

I guess we looked like "real" sailors.

Kinda funny to think we might be in someone's photo album somewhere and that someone has gone through grandma's old photos wondering who are the icky guys in the sailboat.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 06:47   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Friends of mine have a beautifully restored wooden tug that they anchor out in the harbor during the summer. They can see her in the harbor from their living room window. One day the woman looks through the binocs and sees 4-6 people on board. Calls the police and they send a boat out. The people said they thought it was abandoned (much too beautiful for that) and decided to stop and drink beers on board.
That particular problem seems to be worse since kayaks became popular. We've had to call the authorities after seeing kayakers in the lantern room of a (posted and locked) lighthouse, and another group climbing up the rocks to a secured Naval facility that works on nuclear submarines. In both cases, the curious paddlers ended up having a very bad day in the custody of federal authorities. For the record, I own a kayak and enjoy exploring, but I also know where NOT to go.

Another new phenomenon is small open boats, 14-18', taking it upon themselves to mosey down our 35'-40' wide, dead-end fairway. I've often slowed down or even stopped to gawk at the boats in a marina. I get that. What I can't figure out is what makes them think it's OK to just head on down the fairway.

I don't get irritated much any more. I smile and wave, say "Good Afternoon" or something if they can hear me. Then I watch the entertainment when they figure out they have to turn around in a narrow spot with the current running. The vast majority have no skills at this. I should probably buy a red-and-white striped popcorn container and sit in a deck chair with it when they're on their way back out.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 08:42   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Tacks, painted the same colour as the deck.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 08:46   #19

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

My last boat was the Unicorn of St. Helier, a 135' topsail schooner. We were paid well to show up at given harbors on given dates just so thousands of people could clamber all over her decks and take pictures, buy a tee or sweatshirt and ask the same basic questions.

It's great to own a vessel that draws crowds whether on the dock or at anchor. You tend to get dinner invitations to the homes of the heads of state and many other great benefits but there are many times when you just need a break from the curious crowds and for these times we had a large, professionally made plaque that we tied to the dead eyes on which was printed the history of the vessel, FAQs and a polite reminder that the crew needed time to themselves on occasion.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 09:12   #20

After reading this thread, I find several good suggestions. I thought that using the recording of the dog barking and snarling, attaching a sensor to your boarding steps, or to your boat access would be an easy way to get the intruders attention.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 09:38   #21

Boat: 45' CC ketch

I love walking the docks, and masturb... er... admiring beautiful boats! It is, IMO, a very matural thing to do. I would never board without actual invitation or permission though.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 09:41   #22

Boat: Tayana 37

Easy solution...buy an ugly boat
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 10:00   #23

Boat: 1969 cal 34'

Great Ideas ! ill keep them in mind, seems we live in a society that no longer has much respect for other peoples belonging.
Old 27-03-2016, 10:08   #24

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

An acquaintance had a polished P-51 parked in the Warbird section at Oshkosh during the airshow. After an afternoon's performance he walked back to his airplane to find a young boy standing on the wing of his airplane. He told the father of the boy rather pointedly to get the kid off his plane. He father let the boy walk the length of the wing before having him jump down. The Pilot/Owner of the plane followed them to the parking lot and as they were getting into their car he climbed up on the trunk and walked with "heavy feet" over the top and jumped off the front of the hood.

When I get to a new marina I do tend to take a stroll on the docks. Rather like a marine version of "Breakfast at Tiffany's". I do not touch or stare through windows.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 11:53   #25

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
My solution is to head over the Bahamas and anchor in a bay with no other boats in it.
+1.
This does work very well.
Old 27-03-2016, 13:57   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

People who are unfamiliar with boats are curious about them. For some boat owners, their boats are still only objects. For others, our boat is our home, and having people staring in makes us react as we would to a Peeping Tom at our place of residence on land. It feels like a serious invasion of privacy. The Dad, in the story above, didn't know enough to teach his kid to respect property. He probably wouldn't have let the kid do it if he knew better, or understood the effort involved in getting the plane there.

For marina use, I like translucent covers for the port lights [even printer paper will do], which allows light, or actual shades, or curtains.

We've never have had someone actually board the boat unbidden. You might need the sign if that happens where you are, and I would think most would honor it. But, like the kayakers who trespassed in the example above, some may ignore it. Let them know you want to be alone. If you can phrase it humorously, it may actually leave you feeling okay.

When it happened to us in the Solomons, they came out in their canoes and then peered in. We explained that this was our "sleeping house", and they quit peeking in, but would still come by, whistling, at daybreak. You can't stop curiosity.

Ann
Old 27-03-2016, 15:20   #27

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Post a sign. Something along the lines of:

"Private Proptery/Yacht/Boat/??? Keep Off. Owner and guests only. This means YOU!!! Violators will be persecuted (repeat violators will be prosecuted)."

OR

"This is boat is a private residence. I promise not walk onto your front porch, look in your windows and take pictures if you will do the same for me."

OR plain and simple

"NO TRESPASSING"
Oh yea, that'll solve it. Because people respect signs and always do as they say.

NOT!

Really, do we live in the same world?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
Easy solution...buy an ugly boat
LOL...I did exactly that. Now they lean against my bow pulpit, smoking and talking on their phones, as they stare with envy at the 75 footer across from me. Like my boat is just some lump placed there for their convenience.
Old 27-03-2016, 15:25   #29
cruiser

Reminds me of a few yrs back when I still lived in San Diego and The Luna expedition yacht/ship was in port, she was outside the marina on the sea wall and they had hired private security to watch her 24/7, we late night recreational fisherman made him nervous beyond belief I guess, guy was always coming on deck sneering at us giving us the stink eye?

Never forget the face of the charter guy when I scored a huge lobster in my net!!! One of the crew soon asked if I wanted to sell it for $50 and I shouted back "3 hour cruise and helicopter ride to get me back ashore and it's a deal" he smiled but said the charter guy would never go for that...

People don't seem to know their boundaries anymore I'll agree, I think it's why so many confrontations turn ugly if not deadly...
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:31   #30

Yes, I have the same problem at my marina. I have found people sitting in my cockpit, smoking (not tobacco). Anything not bolted to the boat (and sometimes even if it is) disappears at night, including outboards, dinghys, and seadoos. They will get on deck to have their picture taken, like they are the lords of the land. The pretty girls are the worst...they will go anyplace they want...in heels! My slip is near the end of the dock, with a great view, so I also get a lot of drunks who want to lay down and sleep it off at the end of the dock near my boat, as well as the teenagers who think they are alone, and use it as an open air bedroom...that's when I give a few blasts of the air horn.

My marina has a locked gate, and security, but it only keeps the good, honest people out. My boat has been looted. I've come back to find docklines and fenders missing (ones that were in use). Complaining to the staff makes no difference. When my solar panel disappeared, I reported it to the staff, and filled in a theft report. When I was done, I asked what happens next. They said they file the report in the filing cabinet, and thats the end of it.

My boat is not public property. I wish people would stop treating it as such.