Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2020, 16:31   #31

Boat: Hunter 31
Re: Looking to spend more time on boat; what TV and mount do you recommend?

My advice would be, get the biggest TV you can fit, definitely not smaller than 32Ē. Make sure it is a TFT or VA technology display, these have good viewing angles and can be bright enough to see on a sunny day.

I would mount the TV directly in the bulkhead without any mounts (bolts fo through the bulkhead) - much simpler this way. If it is a smart TV, great, if not get an Amazon Fire Stick, so that you can add all the streaming services. A hard drive with movies also helps. I would not go too crazy on a 5.1 sound system but you need at least a sound bar/subwoofer equivalent for deep sound.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 15:56   #32

Boat: Gulfstar 44 CC

We use one of these:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/philips-picopix-max-1080p-full-hd-pico-projector#/

And 40" projector screen hung in the companionway. We also have a 30" tv mounted on a swivelling mount in the aft cabin.
Qismat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 10:56   #33

This is what I use.......... I've never had a TV in my 64 years.... I cannot imagine what would make me want one now!! Break loose from the mindless masses and pseudo news, etc such as Faux "news"....... This is your chance to become something other than a mindless consumer of nonsense and mindless entertainment.
Rise above it all....... think for yourself, reach your true potential.....

owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 14:01   #34

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
This is what I use.......... I've never had a TV in my 64 years.... I cannot imagine what would make me want one now!! Break loose from the mindless masses and pseudo news, etc such as Faux "news"....... This is your chance to become something other than a mindless consumer of nonsense and mindless entertainment.
I have had a screen on the fwd bulkhead of my boat for about eight years. It is connected to a masthead camera, I can come below and keep and eye fwd while I do tasks below with an occasional trip topsides to scan 360). I find it not only novel but handy. I can also output the chart display to it but don't because the MFD is just as handy to look at.

Also good for a movie on dvd or USB.

Never thought of watching live tv on it. not a good thought... like being trapped at an airport gate forced to listen to CNN.. not good at all.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 15:24   #35

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í

Quote:

So your position is that there is no nonsense and mindless entertainment printed on paper and no pseudo or faux news either? Or that there is, but printing it on sheets of dead trees magically transforms it into something else. Please explain.
Because I’m pretty sure that nearly everything on television and on film starts out as print on paper bound between covers called “scripts” and “screenplays” created by playWRITES and screenWRITERS.
Or does the opposite happen: pointing a camera at a Shakespeare play transforms it into mindless dross?
Woodland Hills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 03:02   #36

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
[...]

Then again, not every book ever printed is the ultimate in terms of truthfulness. There is just the same amount of rubbish in print as there is on the air or on the wire.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 03:15   #37

Boat: X-Yachts X442

Don't do it!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 08:03   #38

Boat: Beneteau 423

Our boat had an older 110v flat screen and we replaced it with a 12v 32" from Amazon, $300 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBSGR5F

The resolution is 720, not 1080 or 4K. Better power usage and still HD.
They make a 1080 if it is needed. Draws around 49 watts. Sound is acceptable but it's not a high powered sound bar. I may connect it to the sound system on the boat.

It's nice on days when the weather isn't, it is also handy to connect a small computer to for navigation information while you are below.

Any sturdy mount will work,this TV is viewable from all angles so a mount that was adjustable wasn't necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200125_121153.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	207822  
ns423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 10:21   #39

Boat: Bali 4.0

I hate to be "that guy" but i would recommend NOT putting one.

Our boat already had a flat screeen installed and ive never understood why. Wish i would have ripped the dan thing out before leaving the mainland...
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:06   #40

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
I hate to be "that guy" but i would recommend NOT putting one.

And why exactly is that? Because you don't need it/use it?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:56   #41

We have a small portable projector (about the size of 2 decks of playing cards).
- Positive is it's small and uses very little power. It also allows for a giant screen.
- Negative is it needs to be relatively dark. Using when it's light out, the picture gets washed out. Most of the inexpensive units don't put out a ton of brightness.

We just had a standard LCD TV on a standard swing out arm (bungied to the wall when on the go. On thing we did was to mount it to a horizontal surface, we picked up a large shelf bracket and mounted that upside down and then mounted the swing arm to the bracket...worked great.
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:00   #42

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í

Some people go to sea to get away from it all. Others move onto a boat to live their previous life while on the water. Both choices are fine, but what I cannot understand is why the away from it all crowd keep keep making snooty posts on these threads. All this virtue signaling in not at all germane to the legitimate questions people have and not helpful at all. Is it because they feel somehow inferior and need to build up low self esteem by trying to project an attitude of moral superiority? I just don’t get it.
Woodland Hills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:12   #43

Boat: X-Yachts X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Some people go to sea to get away from it all. Others move onto a boat to live their previous life while on the water. Both choices are fine, but what I cannot understand is why the away from it all crowd keep keep making snooty posts on these threads. All this virtue signaling in not at all germane to the legitimate questions people have and not helpful at all. Is it because they feel somehow inferior and need to build up low self esteem by trying to project an attitude of moral superiority? I just donít get it.
I guess some comments should be taken in a light hearted way. I mentioned in an earlier post elsewhere that I am mainly here to learn from others, but also to an extent for the community/entertainment value. So I think it's fun to read the responses ranging from "As big as possible!" to "Just don't!", otherwise we might as well just post a couple of links to TVs and brackets available on Amazon and be done with it. Which would be boring and mechanical. A bit of colour and opinions thrown in I appreciate.

Which I hope kind of answers your closing question about feeling inferior, having a lack of self esteem and the need to project moral superiority. I don't think that's the case in general.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:04   #44

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
And why exactly is that? Because you don't need it/use it?
Precisely. Itís just one more electronic on the boat to fail, and the mount is just one more multiple metals and moving parts object never intended for this lifestyle/habitat thatís rusting out.

In actual daily life on the water- itís mostly an eyesore or object to bang your head on when sitting down to dinner and on those (very rare) occasions where we want to stream something or watch something off the hard drive (rather than exploring the underwater world or staring at a sunset)... itís far easier to simply use the iPad or laptop... clearly also electronics likely to fail here, but at least they have multiple uses!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 09:16   #45

Samsung TVs are the best in my opinion. As for the you just need to have a solid mount that supports the weight and VESA of your TV. The brand of the mounting bracket is not that important.
llvllagic_l3oy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men