Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 20:45   #1

Boat: Soon to be Discovered
Looking to Live Aboard

Hi I am new to the live aboard concept despite spending fair amount of time sailing with friends and working on cruise ships over the years.

I am looking to rent in a live aboard situation in Marina Del Rey, CA or Ventura, Ca for up to a year. I would like to fully immerse myself in to the boating lifestyle, take classes, and learn as much as possible from seasoned sailors before buying my own boat. If anyone has any tips or advice they would like to share, I'm all ears...
Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:10   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Looking to Live Aboard

Welcome aboard! Hope you find the perfect situation.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38   #3

Boat: Heritage East 40

welcome aboard! Live your dream!
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron
welcome aboard! Live your dream!
I'm going to... Thanks! 😄
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide
Welcome aboard! Hope you find the perfect situation.
Me too... I have a good feeling about it... It's the right time. Have a great day! 😃
Old 14-09-2012, 13:59   #6

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

Malibu, If I were a young person with a desire to live aboard, I would listen to the advice of an old salt. Me! So much to say, but I'll try to boil it down.
Living on someone else's boat does not necessarily work. A boat requires constant maintenance and you must learn to DIY and love it. Apparently you are not a kid and you know about love. To be precise, if it rewards you, you will start to like it. And as the self-satisfaction grows, so will your attraction, until bingo, you're in love with, whatever, but hopefully this time it is with the sea and boats.
OK, do not buy a boat which is like a dungeon. You want a home. You will tire of going down into a cave.
With my many years of experience I will answer any questions from afar. You can find 150 photos of me right here on Cruisers Forum.
I will recommend the almost perfect boat...La...Da...An "Alden 32". Ketch or sloop rig, fiberglass hull, inside steering, 360deg. View from the galley dining, big cockpit, lots of beautiful teak, way down below bunks. Hey, and easy sailing. I see them now and then for about $22,000 to about $40,000.
All boats new, old or refurbished require constant maintenance, which you must also learn to love as part of your survival. BTW if you don’t get photos with this msg, let me know and I will try the Alden 32 photos again. Unless you find them yourself.
Goodluck,
Capt.Fred
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 20:30   #7

Boat: Tayana 37

Welcome aboard! Its a great lifestyle, just be prepared to drastically simplify your life. For me, thats one of the attractions of living aboard. Maintenance is the biggest issue you'll come across. Be prepared to spend one to three hours a day working on SOMETHING on your boat. As tedious a preventive care can be, it beats the hell out of fixing something thats broken. From a time and agravation standpoint and def from a monetary standpoint. Hope you love living aboard as much as I do!
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 12:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Fred
Malibu, If I were a young person with a desire to live aboard, I would listen to the advice of an old salt. Me! So much to say, but I'll try to boil it down.
Living on someone else's boat does not necessarily work. A boat requires constant maintenance and you must learn to DIY and love it. Apparently you are not a kid and you know about love. To be precise, if it rewards you, you will start to like it. And as the self-satisfaction grows, so will your attraction, until bingo, you're in love with, whatever, but hopefully this time it is with the sea and boats.
OK, do not buy a boat which is like a dungeon. You want a home. You will tire of going down into a cave.
With my many years of experience I will answer any questions from afar. You can find 150 photos of me right here on Cruisers Forum.
I will recommend the almost perfect boat...La...Da...An "Alden 32". Ketch or sloop rig, fiberglass hull, inside steering, 360deg. View from the galley dining, big cockpit, lots of beautiful teak, way down below bunks. Hey, and easy sailing. I see them now and then for about $22,000 to about $40,000.
All boats new, old or refurbished require constant maintenance, which you must also learn to love as part of your survival. BTW if you don’t get photos with this msg, let me know and I will try the Alden 32 photos again. Unless you find them yourself.
Goodluck,
Capt.Fred
Thanks Capt. Fred,
I will keep that in mind. I'm a kid at heart, but not chronologically. I have been around the block a time or two. I'm good living in small spaces and simplifying my life... In fact, that's my goal.

I'm also not afraid of getting my hands a little dirty. However I still need to learn how things work and how to repair them. I have lots to learn...

Dawn
Old 17-09-2012, 15:09   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
.........................I am looking to rent in a live aboard situation.......................
I am not sure what this means. Will this be a search to rent a boat in a slip or are your planning on owning your own vessel and renting the slip?
Old 17-09-2012, 19:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce

I am not sure what this means. Will this be a search to rent a boat in a slip or are your planning on owning your own vessel and renting the slip?
Hi, I'm looking to rent both a boat and a slip in southern California. Eventually I'm planning on buying, but for now I'm looking to immerse myself in the boating community and learn as much as possible.
Old 17-09-2012, 20:11   #11

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

Malibu, If you find a boat you really like. I mean objectively as well as subjectively, then by all means buy it. They don't come along often. Ok, then rent a small wharehouse with a restroom and now you are on your way. At some point you will find a slip and wala you know a bit about your boat and are ready to start sailing her, him, it. Read lots of books, about sailors and their adventures and especially Heavy Weather Sailing. At times at sea I did as instructed by the book and was convinced it saved my boat. I remember once heaving to and backwinding the jib.That manuever surprised me as it seemed to calm the waters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alden 32 ketch.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	46698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alden32Line[1].jpg
Views:	228
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	46699  

Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 20:27   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu

Hi, I'm looking to rent both a boat and a slip in southern California.
Chances of being able to do that in SoCal as a legal liveaboard are infinitesimally small.