Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2020, 13:04   #16

Boat: Capital Yachts - Newport 30-2
Re: *LOOKING* Free Liveaboard Anchorage near Delray Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Look for the best deal you can find on a paid mooring that has accommodation for your dingy and your car.
I am looking into this now. As i mention i am totally new to this and as with anything you are learning about you tend to be ignorant of things. I am now looking for mooring spaces or inexpensive docking area. so any areas you can think of like that would be appreciated. i am looking for no more the $900 a month if possible. i do not require power and i am sing a kayak in lieu of a dingy (i throw the kayak on my SUV) so i just need a place to exit the water.
Landsman_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 13:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am suggesting the OP is a deadbeat; even if he has a decent job and makes enough money to pay for the services he seems to be demanding for free. Who does he think will pay for the pump out services, dinghy dock, dumpsters where he will dispose of his trash, water he will need to get on his boat, and other things he wants others to pay for.
what an arse. It has nothing to do with me being a deadbeat. my job does pay well, however as i am ignorant to anything to do with sailing i dont know what i dont know. let me ask you before you knew anything about sailing did you know to think about those things. I am not a vagabond, I am not expecting anybody to pay for anything for me nor am i demanding anything for free. As for pump out service i just googled it and since it is only me i should only need to do that every 2 weeks or maybe i will get a composting toilet. i have not looked heavily into into that at all but i am now. as for a dinghy dock i am using a kayak that i load on my suv when i leave. as for trash i was an active camper and live my life by you pack out what you take in. I have permission from my boss to use the office dumpster so long as it is only 2 bags of trash a week.
Old 17-03-2020, 13:20   #18

Thumbs up Re: *LOOKING* Free Liveaboard Anchorage near Delray Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
An alternative perspective, you would need to first find location where you can gain land access for your dinghy and your car, then work from those locations to places within dinghy commuting distance in the ICW that would allow anchoring, if any.

I believe you will likely find similar ordinances in all the regional waters. The ICW is intended for transiting not for staying in.
Thank you for your useful information if i read that right it looks like i might be able to get with a home owner to "rent/license" usage of their dock. i will start looking into.
Old 17-03-2020, 13:34   #19

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

When looking for dockage, how much is determined by how long, meaning the overall length of the boat. As several have already pointed out, many marinas in Florida don't allow liveaboards, and the same is true of most homeowners with private docks.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 12:45   #20

In the same boat. I have a 35 footer that is looking pretty promising to purchase and am doing the leg work on where it is going to be docked/moored when it does get bought. I have called around a few marinas and not many allow you to live aboard.
Riviera Marina Village west of Peanut Island is beautiful and they offer a lot to their guests but they are expensive. I had asked about the mooring field north of their Marina and they stated that they are going to start pushing those boats out of there soon. There are a few out there that look a bit shabby and there is a sailboat sunk that is definitely not helping any fight to allow us to be liveaboards. There is a mooring field on the south side of the island (adjacent to the Palm Beach Sailing Club) that they suggested and they said it is first come/first serve. Not sure if there is any registering or rental due to the club but haven't been around that field so I don't know if anything is open to get hooked on.

Palm Beach Yacht Center is another spot in the Hypoluxo area and they charge per foot, water included, and electricity is metered. Doesn't specify if they allow liveaboards but for the few times I would go and walk the dock admiring boats I have never seen anyone living on their boat so I would assume no.

Delray had a city marina just south of the Atlantic Ave bridge but that has been under construction for a year plus or so now, don't know when they are going to be open again or if anything would be open there. They did have hookups for water/pump out/etc.

I have seen a few boats just anchored in the ICW in different areas but can't say how long they have been there. Seen boats in Lake Boca, by the Boynton inlet, by Ocean Ave bridge in Lantana/Lake Worth, off Flagler in West Palm.

Just joined up and hoping to hear from anybody in our area that is currently living on board so will be keeping an eye on this thread.
crazeflier007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, liveaboard