Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 04:28   #46

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Looking for the right boat

...would be quite entertaining, this thread, if it were less longwinded...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 04:33   #47

Sorry. I quoted everyone as I replied so people would see who I was talking to.
Meant for it to be easy to follow.
Adam041987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 06:02   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Is the wife on board with this? I mean really on board, cause this is a tough life, I mean TOUGH, average Pioneer Woman's life expectancy was what 30, maybe 40 yrs old? While their counterparts who lived in the more civilized East often lived well into their 80's and even 90's.
Do you live like this now on land? I mean "off the grid" Down South before it became part of popular culture people who lived this lifestyle were often called Hermits, it is nothing new, just popularized I guess.
I've flown in a small private airplane up around the Canadian Northwest Territory and Alaska, if you seriously want to live this lifestyle, scrap the boat part, take that money and buy stuff that would make that kind of life possible, rifles, snow machines, dogs etc and make a go at it, more people than you think are doing it, and some doing quite well although many give up.

I say scrap the boat part as you clearly don't know what your doing, the boat I assume will eat up most of your available money and based on your knowledge your likely to fail, before you really get a chance at making the life work.

Now if you have already been living a Subsistence life style and your wanting to change locations, then you will likely make it work, but if you aren't now than I would suggest giving it a go first, say make yourself a goal, live for one year before you commit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 07:20   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Is the wife on board with this? I mean really on board, cause this is a tough life, I mean TOUGH, average Pioneer Woman's life expectancy was what 30, maybe 40 yrs old? While their counterparts who lived in the more civilized East often lived well into their 80's and even 90's.
.... often called Hermits...
The wife is on board for the reasons below. She'd rather be closer to a small community for as long as possible. She's not quite as adventurous as myself.
She understands as I do, that WW3 is inevitable (and intended), and that a fascist, one world government is inevitable, (and intended). The American dollar will significantly drop in value sometime soon, China and a few other countries are working to set up alternative reserve currencies. China bought up a ton of gold, and we don't have any, anymore. Modern mainstream life is going to come to an end, no sense in being here when it does.

Quote:
I've flown in a small private airplane up around the Canadian Northwest Territory and Alaska, if you seriously want to live this lifestyle, scrap the boat part, take that money and buy stuff that would make that kind of life possible, rifles, snow machines, dogs etc and make a go at it, more people than you think are doing it, and some doing quite well although many give up.
I have almost everything. Rifles, woodstove, tools, hunting dog, survival gear and clothes, seeds, tons of books on foraging, farming, livestock, homesteading, sea kayaking, navigating, sailing, and recently picked up sea steading books. There are a few things besides the boat that I want to get, which is why I'm still working 65 hours a week. Still want a sea kayak, another dog, and my livestock, goats, chickens and rabbits.

Quote:
I say scrap the boat part as you clearly don't know what your doing, the boat I assume will eat up most of your available money and based on your knowledge your likely to fail, before you really get a chance at making the life work.
Yes, I don't know how to sail yet. I am getting lessons August 1st.
It will eat up almost all that's left after I get the sea kayak and animals.

Quote:
live for one year before you commit.
Unfortunately, I don't have that option.
I live in Edmonton, all my gear is here, and I'm running out of time.
I don't really want to be in a major population center past the American election. The one world currency is supposed to be in use in 2018, so before that, the American currency will crash in value. Modern mainstream life will suck after that. Think people are angry now? Expect Marshall law.
Adam041987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 07:35   #50

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

Adam, my wife has over 200 chickens 3 incubators 5 brooders and 10 coops to keep all the different exotic breeds separated. she has purchased many of her starters from all over the world as eggs sent ups or fed x. my point is you can get what ever breed you want when you get there... too bad goats don't hatch. I had a very similar dream at one time, maybe not as grand as yours... I truly hope you succeed...
Your wife's name isn't Eve is it?
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 18:57   #51

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

You live in Edmonton? Get your butt out to wabamun and let's go sailing. I want to see if you can really do this or not. Im not trying to be disrespectful, I will seriously take you sailing. Pm me.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 03:39   #52
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

I suggest a wide beam catamaran.You could grow crops on the tramps.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 11:19   #53

Boat: PSC Orion 27

You're looking for Brent Swain.
You're welcome.

goat

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 12:58   #54

Adam, I'm with you on this, but I think you're making it too complicated.

I saw things going south about 15 years ago, although I knew about the 2018 currency reset back in 1988, so 15 years ago I moved to Colombia. The past 5 years, we've been inundated with droves of CIA families also moving here; I guess they know something.

All you need is a small sailboat to anchor off southern South America for a few months; so forget about the animals on board. Take a look at what's happening in Venezuela right now, after a few months of currency chaos, they're starving to death. Just one ounce of gold right now will buy you a house there. They're killing the zoo animals and eating them. However, the people that were prepared for the chaos are cleaning up financially.

I can't discuss anything here as most North Americans are plugged into the belief system of the mainstream media, and of course, beliefs are stronger than facts. If you, or anyone else wants to discuss how a huge segment of North Americans are going to ride things out in South America, (and profit greatly), you'll have to discuss it with me on private mail.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 13:22   #55

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 13:24   #56

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Goats on boats were extensively discussed here; http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ate-31305.html
Sorry I couldn't help myself �� It was just the first thing that popped into my mind!
However, it's really not my place to judge you or your motives as they have no personal affect on my life what so ever. Hence the apology.
I will be following this thread also, as I'd like to see the solutions that you and your wife devise. Best of luck to you
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 14:48   #57

Boat: Lots of boats.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel you need a different perspective.

Fear and paranoia is driving politics today. Certain personality types fall into this more easily and others take advantage for personal gain and power. Have seen this come and go my whole life. Been happening since man starting living in groups. Lots of hermits out there that have lived a life of squalor for many years waiting for the world to collapse or for the second coming. Good luck with that. Remember this post in 10 years!

I have travelled to China, have friends living in China and many friends from China. They are actually trying very hard to feed and sustain 1 billion people. They have their hands full trying to build infrastructure, while not allowing pollution and overuse to get too far ahead of them. Both harm their goals for a better life for their people. Yes, they have done things others consider wrong, but realize they truly believe "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". Wish we in America could live up to that better than we do. And lets not forget that the US has done some unsavory things to groups of people along the way.

I would not call myself an extensive traveler compared to many on this forum, but one thing I am consistently surprised by and pleased to see is the goodness inherent in almost everyone. Rich and poor alike love their families, work very hard and lend a helping hand when they can. Most people I meet are positive and well adjusted to their living standards, whatever they may be. Although pessimism is found throughout the world, most people are cautiously optimistic and although the paranoid are always looking for a new conspiracy, generally, modern nations are trying to improve the lives of their people. The answer will not be with uncontrolled capitalism, nor with absolute control over one's people. It will be somewhere in the middle along the lines of Sweden (where my one daughter now lives).

I love boating because it provides my senses with many pleasures. From the feeling of reward from finishing a project or task, to the feeling of freedom and adventure after a good sailing day. Using a boat in today's world to settle a new land is certainly a challenge, but completely unnecessary. Want to live on an island somewhere? Hire someone with a trawler to haul your stuff to wherever you want to live and buy a boat better suited to commuting back and forth as needed. Problem solved.

Although I appreciate the solitude of both boating and living in the wild, forcing your family (future kids?) to do so cheats them out of all the wonders this modern world has to offer. Yes, I miss the simplicity of the 50's and 60's I was raised in, but with kids from 15 to 25, I appreciate the excitement and changes needed to adapt to a modern world.

Its silly to think everyone can have a job in the increasingly productive society we have produced. Less can do more. How does that ever translate to more jobs? Also, how can you sustain growth when everyone has already bought what they want or need and many products last for decades. Forced obsolescence can only go so far. We need another model for the future, perhaps not unlike what we see in Gene Roddenberry's utopian Star Trek series.

Set your fears aside for a minute and think this through. Are you doing this because of prior unemployment? Have you travelled extensively and seen the horror's you describe? Most paranoid people that I personally know have rarely left their home town, let alone travelled. They listen to pundits on the radio or read articles in tabloids or on Internet websites. Get out there and try out the world before making a decision like this. I am sure you won't see the world in the same gloomy light if you actually interfaced with others. Seeing their broad smiles and open arms will affect you in a positive way. It will lift a burden off your shoulders and allow you to enjoy life like never before. Don't give up on the world based on something you might have read, experience it for yourself first!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote