Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 07:43   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Looking for some advice

My wife and I are taking the plunge to living aboard full time this summer. We've been looking at boats for some time and thought we knew what we wanted. Until we traveled to the boat show">Annapolis Boat show a couple weekends ago and really liked a Beneteau 42CC that was there. Since then I've been looking on line and trying to figure out if this is the boat for us. Comparing it to other boats in the same price range and size. We didn't go to the show to see this particular boat, and really only jumped aboard because there wasn't a line and the boat we went to see was packed with people.

I will be working remotely so the NAV station to port forward of the galley seems a good spot to work from. The storage available seems to be well accessible and abundant. My wife is all about the separate shower stall in the aft head, and the center line berth.

Now I am wondering if there are other boats that are out there that I don't know about that would be better, or just as good and less expensive than this one.

Any input would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the boat we saw at the show: Salt Yacht Brokerage Company (Rock Hall, MD)
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:03   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Looking for some advice

Basically any craft is a good choice for a liveabord boat - as long as the things you want like showers toilets and tables are as many and where you want them.

Unfortunately, above some size, your choice is virtually unlimited. It is just like you buy a mobile home - get the one you like and forget about the others (that may be equally good, but so what).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 22:06   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Unless having a brand new not previously owned is really important to you, buy used, maybe 3 yrs. old. It will have stood a lot of its depreciation. Most of what was wrong with it when the PO took delivery of it shall have been fixed. If all it's going to be used for is a floating condo, it still is going to need maintenance. Boats are way more demanding of instant maintenance than land based accomodation.

Ann
Old 12-05-2017, 22:31   #4

Boat: Hunter 340 34'

Looks like a fine used boat. What's not to like?
Old 13-05-2017, 06:45   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Basically any craft is a good choice for a liveabord boat -....................
Barnakiel's statement here is absolutely correct as long as you're using the same definition for "liveaboard boat".

"Any craft is a good choice for a liveaboard boat" is true when you're defining this as a boat that remains in the marina slip or has only limited use for good weather days in protected water.

My wife and I always called ourselves "Liveaboard", but we were making offshore passages and cruising fairly long distances. We were sometimes subjected to harsh weather while underway or at anchor in tropical storms.

Sguerrero1971, It's probably best to tell us more of how you expect to use your "liveaboard" boat when you take this plunge.

In addition, I would be one to choose a boat for about a third of this price that is twenty years old or more. I've kept the same boat for 32 years that I bought as a 12 year old boat. There are plenty of well-kept older boats that are not "project boats", but well suited for someone that likes to maintain things.

'lots of good choices for different people with different expectations.
Old 13-05-2017, 08:43   #6

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I was in the marine business for about 15 years and I have lived on many boats!
I must say it is really foolish to waste your money on a new boat if you can purchase a good used boat of the same or similar type! The only people who are going to be happy with the purchase are the brokers or dealers!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 08:48   #7

Boat: Boatless

I'll chime in on three year old purchase model.

As a former broker (long ago) this is a great model. There are a few points in the life of a boat, the three and ten year marks in particular.

The three year mark is sweet. Owner purchased or built with "the dream" in mind. Put on all the goodies year one, went cruising year two, realized a few of the truths we talk about here year 2.5.

He came back to wherever and fixed all that need d fixing then looked at dear wife and said "how about an RV" (or lake house, or condo).

He puts on market at price close to what he has in it year 2.75.

At year 3 and no offers he meets broker and well, you can figure it out from there.

If you wait for 3 year boat all the year 1 stuff will be done and fairly current.

Happy hunting! Or you could buy our year 23 boat :-) !

(In the Bahamas waiting for you) Sea Trail May 30th, Check May 31st, cruising to the Exumas June 1st!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 10:41   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

The link that you provided is to a 2003 model year boat. I'm not sure where the reference to a "new" boat is coming from in some other replies.
There are many "similar" boats available in this size and price point even just around the Annapolis to Deltaville stretch of the Chesapeake.
I would suggest getting on as many as you can before falling in love with a particular model, BUT FIRST, think about what specific missions are in your future plans beside just "livaboard".
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 10:51   #9

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Since I don't think you mentioned money, if I were in your shoes I would look very hard at a Passport 40. A Pullman berth port side and the head forward it is a very classy boat, IMHO. I see them in the $150K range. At 1/2 the price is an Islander Freeport 36, at around 75K. This is a Bob Perry design and is designed for two people to live aboard. again a Pullman berth port side, head forward and with cedar lined closets, a large open boat, pilot house design, so you do not get the feeling of living in a cave. Dark caves turn a lot of the ladies off. Now many people will caution you about the large windows of the Freeport or even a pilot house. Since I live and sail in the NW I really don't go out where the water is deep. I have not found the need to. Maybe someday the Sea of Cortez since it is all down hill from here but the trip back home, if I were to choose to, is all up hill. So I do not worry about the window size. I would like to be able to look outside better, especially when it is raining. On two occasions I have tried to buy a 36' Freeport but they got sold before I could sell my Kettenburg. These are both older used boats. Remember get a good survey. You will be buying a lot of goodies on used boats at cents on the dollar. Really it all depends on your money, where you will be living/cruising and personal feelings. JMHO again. At any rate, or boat, get out there and set your selves free!
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 11:45   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
I'll chime in on three year old purchase model.

As a former broker (long ago) this is a great model. There are a few points in the life of a boat, the three and ten year marks in particular.

The three year mark is sweet. Owner purchased or built with "the dream" in mind. Put on all the goodies year one, went cruising year two, realized a few of the truths we talk about here year 2.5.

He came back to wherever and fixed all that need d fixing then looked at dear wife and said "how about an RV" (or lake house, or condo).

He puts on market at price close to what he has in it year 2.75.

At year 3 and no offers he meets broker and well, you can figure it out from there.

If you wait for 3 year boat all the year 1 stuff will be done and fairly current.

Happy hunting! Or you could buy our year 23 boat :-) !

(In the Bahamas waiting for you) Sea Trail May 30th, Check May 31st, cruising to the Exumas June 1st!
I second this excellent suggestion, which describes the circumstances by which we purchased our boat with only 600 hrs on the Yanmar and 300hrs on the generator. Someone planned their "trip of a lifetime" around the world cruise and purchased a brand new Oyster 53 will all.... and I mean every possible option including two Satellite phone systems, then things didn't turn out as planned. I'm guessing one of them got seasick and said "forget it."

We purchased the boat for MUCH LESS after it remained unsold whilst on the hard for four years. The interior was like new, complete with brand new custom linens stored in the cabinets still sealed in the original packaging, along with a complete Wedgewood china table setting for eight that matched the boat decor.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 12:31   #11

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

You said living aboard. You did not mention cruising, or even sailing, but the centerline concern suggests the possibility of both, although using the nav station as an office space does not indicate much travel. OK, what would be incorrect about your selection, just so you have examined the market for the same or similar, negotiate the price, and get a real survey? Nothing! This even though I personally do not like the brand (do not ask why, it is not rationally explainable). May you encounter fair winds whatever you do.
Old 13-05-2017, 13:14   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

i would urge you to hold off on an decisions until you resolve just what you want. Blue water or coastal cruising, marina long term or anchored or roaming, power or sail, single handing or both actively involved ?

Before making any purchase rent a boat for a few weeks. Big boats tend to have less room than many studio apartments, the typical galley is not well suited to gourmet cuisine. Life aboard is a little like camping with many of the same pluses and minuses. Handling a 42' is a lot different than a 33. Are you both experienced sailors?

When ready to try choosing a boat you might remember a line my realtor gave me- most people do not buy a house, they buy a room or feature. Heavy emphasis on the shower set up or a center line berth could lead to poor decisions. Good luck as you pursue your adventure.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 13:28   #13
cruiser

Re: Looking for some advic

For dockside living aboard, our previous Hunter 450 was great. Much more living space and costing less than what you're looking at right now.

You must have a look at one.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 20:29   #14

Boat: Pearson 34

Spend plenty of time looking, take trial sails and ask for prior surveys. We did a trail sail on a Whitby 42 at a local yacht club and found out a lot about that model that only hands on experience can bring. Later we went aboard 7 of them, and picked the best of the lot.
Good luck and enjoy the process.
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 15:39   #15

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Have you considered multihulls?
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote