Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 09:07   #31

Boat: Privilege Cat, 37
Thumbs up Re: Looking for cheap international marina cities to live in

Check out CALYPSO MARINA (www.calypsomarina.org) in Rio Dulce, Guatemala.
A great place, quiet, safe, inexpensive. Best hurricane refuge of all the Caribbean basin. Stunning nature, fresh water. Best place to live in, no doubt !!
save1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:38   #32

Boat: FP Bahia 46 catamaran
Re: Looking for cheap international marina cities to live in

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Based on our personal experience, I can recommend a few spots that really stand out in our mind. Philippines: AVOID Manila!!!, Subic Bay, Puerto Galera, Buswanga, Cebu, Coron Town, western Palawan, and Merican Bay Resort area. Malaysia: Penang, Langkawi, Phuket, Tailand, Nha Trang, Viet Nam, Turkey: Marmaris, Fetye, Bodrum, Chanakile, Greece: Corfu, Boschata Island. Note...spelling on some is only a guess, but you'll fund them.
for Turkey, Marmaris. We have been based there now for 4 Years.
Health care is excellent, and it is not too difficult or expensive to get a residents visa. We have American friends who have just done that. Retired, and now living on a yacht in Marmaris full time.

Not only is the Turkish coast there fantastic for cruising, but you also have the Greek Islands within a couple of hours sailing distance.

Tony
Catnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:49   #33

Boat: Privilege Cat, 37

Best place on earth is Rio Dulce, Guatemala. Cheap, great nature, fresh waters, hurricane refuge, all you need for your boat is available, easy quiet life.
Check it out !
save1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 13:59   #34

Hi
I have a house on the banks of the river loire and am looking at buying a boat in the med.
Maybe we have something to discuss?
My email : mungopark1@aol.com
Regards
Gerrard Rudd. 0033 628 522 977
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 16:43   #35

I see you have Phuket on your list. Have a look at its ‘neighbor’ Krabi Boat Lagoon :

http://www.krabi boat lagoon.com

There are condos for rent and sale at the marina. I just moved into a rental and am considering purchasing a unit in the new building which is now under construction. The marina property is not inexpensive by Thai standards, but if you’re willing to live in ‘local’ Thailand accommodations are available for a song. Be aware that this location is fairly isolated. I believe it’s 11km to the nearest convenience store.

Full disclosure - I am between boats at the moment so I haven’t used the marina facilities directly myself, but in speaking with those who have nary a bad comment can be heard. For recent first-hand experience with the marina facilities and staff see:

https://youtu.be/UNXg250TeQ4

If you get a hankerin’ for Western food Ao Nang beach has it. Lively nightlife is Ao Nang or Phuket for a weekend visit. I don’t have experience with medical care in Krabi, but my regular doctor is at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok (https://www.bumrungrad.com/) which is among the best medical facilities in the world. Local flights are cheap and local busses cheaper. If you feeling adventurous try a local train. You can get anywhere from Suvarnabhumi (BKK) Airport. There are expats all over Thailand if you’re looking for that community.

Thai Immigration is friendly to foreigners / US passport holders and multiple tourist visa entries per year are allowed. Also, retirement visas are available without arduous requirements. For details see:

https://www.immigration.go.th/index

I have a 1 year retirement visa now.

I attached a couple of photos of the view from my balcony right now.

Feel free to ask me if you have any additional questions and good luck with your search!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7733C71E-0A54-41A3-8CA1-D2CEA07820D2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	181979   Click image for larger version

Name:	3D5E19B0-A3DE-46DA-B62B-C6C653F45335.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	181980  

Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:58   #36

Boat: Allied Seabreeze 35 1998-2013

Don't overlook Tunisia. Good French-built/run marinas. They are a democracy with some unrest, but government and marinas protect foreigners. It's close to Sicily, Malta. There is regular ferry service.
jimcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 18:06   #37

Boat: Privilege 482

Look at Kota Kinabalu (typically just referred to as "KK") and Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club. Just went through there earlier in the year and was very impressed with the facilities. KK is a very modern city and you can get by as an english speaker. Best of all Malaysia is one of the cheapest places we've been to in our 6 years of cruising.
Old 15-12-2018, 17:35   #38

There are a lot of Americans and Canadians living around Puerto Escondido just south of Loreto on the sea of Cortez. I sent some time there were we attended a Catamaran Regata.
Bon Temps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 11:12   #39

Why do you think medical in Turkey is substandard? I've been here a decade & looks better than USA.
senorbrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:53   #40

Boat: San Juan 21, trailer boat, racer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorbrx View Post
Why do you think medical in Turkey is substandard? I've been here a decade & looks better than USA.
I probably just read one of those bullet point expat retirement articles. it was probably based on one persons anecdotal experience.

If your there, what kind of sailing can I do without owning a large liveaboard, since I don't want to sail all the time.
I'm used to owning a 21-25 ft sailboat that I can trailer with mast up and put in the water when I want for a afternoon or day or two of sailing so it doesn't cost so much if I dont use it for a while. If I want to go on a longer trip, then I can crew on a bigger boat and let mine sit on land somewhere without costing much. I bike a lot too and it would be nice to go on multi week bike rides and let a smaller sailboat sit without costing much. Another alterntive is joining a sail club, although my experience is although good in theory, they have some downsides.
kennj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 11:02   #41

Not much of a sailing culture with locals-- though dinghy/optimist scene is significant. Keeping boat on the hard-- is practical-- as many popular marinas have waiting lists for floating berths. Biggest issue is lack of predicable good wind.
senorbrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 15:24   #42

Boat: San Juan 21, trailer boat, racer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorbrx View Post
Not much of a sailing culture with locals-- though dinghy/optimist scene is significant. Keeping boat on the hard-- is practical-- as many popular marinas have waiting lists for floating berths. Biggest issue is lack of predicable good wind.

I've been checking out the cities and marinas at these cities: Didim, Feithiye Town, Yalikavak, Bodrum, Kusadasi and dont' really see much opportunity to keep a boat in a yard. It seems like much of the Aegean coast doesn't have much flat land so it get used for housing pretty fast. what yards I see seem to be for maintenance, not really for keeping smaller boats.

As for wind, I've been watching some of the wind app on my phone and wind seems pretty good along the coast and pretty lively further off the coast, at least compared to where I'm from Raritan Bay, south of New York City.
kennj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 09:58   #43

Corn Island, Nicaragua... beautiful, quaint and cheap...awesome diving and snorkeling too

Cartagena Colombia, historic, great nightlife, walking and biking city for exercise, cheap and has everything.
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 11:16   #44
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Looking more for a southern hemisphere summer, and wondering about South Africa? Quite a sailing location. Personal safety and security may be pretty chancy, unless things have changed a lot. Any recent personal experience?
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 23:15   #45
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
Looking more for a southern hemisphere summer, and wondering about South Africa? Quite a sailing location. Personal safety and security may be pretty chancy, unless things have changed a lot. Any recent personal experience?
I was in Richards Bay and Capetown January 2018 for a little more than a week. beautiful country, fantastic wind - too fantastic sometimes. excellent sailing scene, fine marinas and yacht clubs. fantastic wine country, beautiful mountains, good roads, penguins, beaches - a vibrant young country barely clinging to its first-world past.

But everywhere you'll find razor wire fences and guards. Friends told us not to travel anywhere after dark. every place has its + and - features.

Tags
cheap