Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2013, 06:05   #31

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Looking for Advice on Chesapeake Bay Area Liveaboard Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT2 View Post
Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of Shipwright Harbour Marina.
I've delivered boats into Shipwright a few times. It's okay but not nearly as nice as HHN. The bathrooms are not very well maintained. It's dusty. No dealbreakers and for some people the lower price makes the difference.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:12   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
I miss spoke. Car over to route 4 to catch the bus, free parking. Its a few miles, then bus to le enfant plaza then metro. It would be the same from HHN or shipwright. I looked at shipwright as well. It was just not as convenient or nice. Distance to bath house is a big deal in the winter time. Showering on the boat with all the moisture build up can present problems so the bath house being close is very nice.

I looked closer, too: North Beach to DC, MTA commuter bus line 904, Martz/Gold Line, lots of DC stops including 4 different downtown Metro stations. Not bad... Looks like 1:45 from end points, 1:10 to first DC stop.

Or as you say, from Deale, could do car to second bus stop on Route 4, rest of the trip is the same.

Looks like Deale to the "Bristol" stop at the junction of MD 4 and MD 258 is only about 5 miles from Deale... and that would put it in fare zone 2, slightly less expensive than from North Beach.

http://www.graylinedc.com/downloads/...muter_line.pdf

Looks like a good data point!

Another link that shows more commuter bus routes, including from Kent Island and Annapolis: http://mta.maryland.gov/commuter-bus (select route listing)

-Chris
Old 28-10-2013, 08:08   #33

Boat: 37 Gulfstar

Here's a little update on the Annapolis pump out boat. It is still not running right now; they say they are waiting for a part to come in and no idea when it will. That makes no sense to me, but that's the word. They did say, however, that they will be running limited pump out service from November 15 on (so probably until mid-April) on Saturdays from 9AM to 3PM. That will be a huge help for folks who shrink wrap, are trapped by tides, or otherwise lack access to dockside pump out. Doesn't help me right now...I tried to take her out for a sail and a stop at the fuel dock to pump out yesterday but was in 4.4 feet of water at high tide. I draw 5. *Might* be able to get out of the slip at high tide today, but today I don't have any crew to help fend off while docking. Yep, this is "living the dream."
Old 28-10-2013, 08:32   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I can come help you during the day Tue - Thu this week.

My understanding is that Annapolis doesn't stock a lot of spares for the Harbormaster. Flip doesn't have much wiggle room. Everything I've seen of his financial management within his budget constraints has been darn good.

I expect that one of the major factors for pump-out over the winter is pumping out the pump-out boat. I believe they offload at ALM on Back Creek. I imagine there are interesting discussions to find a solution that allow the pump-out boat to run through the cold months. Even limited service is an improvement over previous years when those without dockside service had to meet the truck pump-out at City Dock.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:02   #35

Boat: 37 Gulfstar

Thanks, Dave!

It makes more sense now that perhaps it's a budget constraint issue for the repair. I just didn't understand why it would take so long to get a part when one can just order online and have a part within a few days; but I can see it wouldn't be as simple as that when it's the government trying to requisition something.

I spoke with ALM today and their fuel dock pump out will close as of November 20 this year. But of course they do offer dock cart pump out for their slip holders. Just wish there were a local honeywagon. And sorry for the thread drift...but low tides in winter + N and NW winds blowing water out of the bay + limited pump out facilities = one of my biggest challenges wintering aboard, so it should give the OP something to consider.
Old 28-10-2013, 10:02   #36

Solomons Island, MD - Calvert Marina - I don't know what they advertise, but they have several liveaboards.

Quaint town
Excellent marine facility
Great bars and restaurants
Country driving MOST of the way - then get Metro
Wonderful sailing moments from the bay

We are looking for a place outside of the US to live/sail for 6+ months. If I could find a foreign Solomons, that's where I would go.

mrmac22448
mrmac22448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 11:05   #37

Boat: Islander 36

Castle Harbor Marina in Chester MD, Kent Island! Good people, great location. Not the newest but comfortable
Good Luck
Islander36Kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 12:39   #38

Boat: Hunter 410
We live in a townhouse at Castle Harbor, have kept our sailboat there and now keep a small motorboat since the sailboat is in the Caribbean. It's a really nice friendly place; fairly rural surroundings but two restaurants at the marina, several others nearby, decent supermarkets.
I commute to Rosslyn or the Pentagon. I drive to New Carrollton and then Metro in; could also take a bus from the island to Foggy Bottom Metro. Both require 75-90 minutes including parking time and walking to the office. Driving all the way was painful.
jpsgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 15:02   #39

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

Based on seeing RuningRabbit's posts on pump-out challenges...I may consider upgrading to a 40 gal holding tank before I arrive...but you stil have to unload it sometime - eh!

Thanks for the detailed commute time estimate jpsgirl96...that's right about in my tolerance range. I will do some detailed research based on Chris' commute comments and recommended links. I think sailing in the bay is a convenience we want to keep high on our list and will trade for some additional commute time. I am in correspondence with David Low (HHN) and Bob Green (HHS) as well as Shipwright thanks to some great detailed info from knowledgeable folks on the forum.

TMT2
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 17:40   #40

Boat: Beneteau 393

Not sure about HHN or Shipwright, but HHS has year-round pumpout service (free at fuel dock or pay service via pumpout boat) as long as the marina doesn't freeze over. We get pumped out on a weekly schedule just to be able to "go with the flow"

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 17:53   #41

Boat: Hunter 41 - Kava Kava

One more option is the Middle River area north of Baltimore. The MARC commuter train into Baltimore and DC is right around the corner from many marinas. Sometime soon the trains will run on weekends too.
truant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 18:05   #42

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprice View Post
I know that Port Annapolis Marina has open slips in the winter (thats where I live) and are liveaboard friendly. Yes a bit more money but lots of perks to go with the slip fee. The yard crew even cleared my finger pier off before they cleared the main walks because they know I'm up early to get to work. The livaboards all get together in the clubhouse for a potluck each Sunday. Lots to do and close to the Nappy town action while still being quite. Good chance no matter where you end up you might be able to carpool into DC with another liveboard in the same marina. Mark
Haha, I'm at E-19. Don't think we've met. I'll track you down at the next potluck if I get to one...I'm in Urbanna having work done and then doing a delivery across the pond in December.

While PA has slips in the winter, I don't think they have annual contracts/slip available year round outside of a wait list. That is what I was told, but maybe it's changed.

As for the bubbler question, it's probably been years and years since one was necessary here, but it's the sort of thing that you don't want a serious cold snap to ruin your day. Consider it insurance for the 100 year flood kinda thing.

Port Annapolis is a really nice place. It's a working marina/boatyard with the amenities of a country club. Nice bathhouses, two clubhouses, mobile pump out, well stocked chandlery that will match any price you toss them, laundry, pool, restaurant, fitness center. $150/month live aboard fee gets you a mailbox, cable TV, internet, and a bit more attention from the management.

The Herrington Harbor marinas are pretty excellent. I know a few people at both of them, have been to them a bunch, and they are first-rate. Herrington Harbor north is right off Rt. 4 and is probably only a few minutes farther from DC than Annapolis.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 19:49   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Actually HHN is 5-10 min closer to DC than PA
258 to 4 to Suitland Pkwy
Made the commute for a year from each
Didn't like either so we stayed at CYC when not cruising
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 03:30   #44

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Some other differences between places. Deale is relatively sleepy, as towns go. North Beach/Chesapeake Beach have a bit more "town" available. Kent Island has amenities, and it's within driving distance of Annapolis, etc. Annapolis has pretty much everything, as does Baltimore. Different strokes...

-Chris
Old 29-10-2013, 18:14   #45

I also looked at capital city yacht club and really liked the folks there. My issue was that there was no close sailing for my size boat so that meant no quick weekend trips and the cost was up there! Plus they couldn't guarantee me a slip which was even more money once you joined the club. They were also looking for a community member which with my job I just didn't think I would have the time to commit. So one day I hope to join but for right now it just didn't seem like the right fit. The commute would have been perfect for me however.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, liveaboard, men