Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 21:30   #16

Boat: O’Day 40
Re: looking for a liveaboard slip in Maryland deep enough for our boat

I’ d recommend checking in with OAK Harbor Marina in Pasadena, MD. Down home marina, excellent to work with, skilled help if you need if i, 410-255 4070, good people. Just off the Patapsco River outside of Baltic. Very pretty, good depth, fantastic management.

LouK
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 16:17   #17

Boat: Silverton, sedan bridge-34 feet

This is an excellent idea---and the price is unbeatable-on just south of Baltimore---don't know about amenities)--however I must say--Mears in Annapolis could possibly accommodate with Jabin's yard nearby

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Porter View Post
White Rocks Marina is good place to haul out and do your own work or hire your own folk to do work. I have names of several individuals who handle bottom work and paint and other things. I also may have a spare slip at my waterfront home and/or a neighbor who does where you could stay on your boat. I can be reached at: (301) 693-3524
patswil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 19:34   #18

Spring Cove Marina in Solomons, Maryland is a great place to stay. They allow live a boards. They have a boat yard where you can work on your boat yourself or they offer excellent done for you services. They offer many amenities including a pool, laundry room, tv and library room and store. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. It is a great place to sail. Sail the Chesapeake and its many tributaries. We have been there for 8 years now.
pchiroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 19:40   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Or, as my dockmaster keeps saying... "We don't have any liveaboards, we just have some people who stay on their boats a lot."
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 06:26   #20

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Porter View Post
White Rocks Marina is good place to haul out and do your own work or hire your own folk to do work. I have names of several individuals who handle bottom work and paint and other things. I also may have a spare slip at my waterfront home and/or a neighbor who does where you could stay on your boat. I can be reached at: (301) 693-3524
Thank you, and that's a really nice option. I'll be in touch in the next few weeks as we sort all this out.
Old 28-01-2021, 06:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Or, as my dockmaster keeps saying... "We don't have any liveaboards, we just have some people who stay on their boats a lot."
As long as the Dockmaster is cool with it, that's a pretty sweet deal!
Old 28-01-2021, 07:17   #22

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Rock Hall on the eastern shore. Great town! supermarket, west marine, restaurants, coffee shop, bagel shop, B&Bs all walkable. Cute beach. Tons of restaurants and a couple of bars.

My marina is Osprey point. There is also Haven Harbour, swan point, north point, the old sailing emporium which is now Haven harbor south. Haven is a top notch boat marina and boat yard. Osprey is just an old farm now a marina. Osprey sister marina is Gratitude. Definitely live aboards there. Osprey point and Haven and Swan point are all on swan creek. Beautiful secluded anchorage and there is also a mooring field and all very well protected.

Been my home marina for 10 years, and been sailing out of there for 17 years. Osprey and Haven have awesome customer service and they both have very nice inns as part of the marina complex if you need a respite from sea life or friends coming to town.

Osprey is my marina and all my work is done at Haven harbor. In the season, Rock hall has a tram that drives around. It's hop on hop off for $1.00, but everything is walkable and they have bikes for you to use. Nice grounds at both the barbecues, volleyball, dogs, and pools with bar/restaurants.

Google them....you'll see. PM me if you're interested. I can connect you with either manager/dock master. I have no conflicts if interest to disclose. I am simply a really happy customer of both places.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 17:00   #23

There are a bizillion marinas you can put a Tayana 37 for the summer.

Do you prefer a big one? A small one? Urban? Suburban? Rural?
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 22:51   #24

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

we sailed our boat from solomons island md to baltimore 2 years ago. Went into baltimore for 1st time picked up a slip at anchorage. So much to do, to see. Bought a slip 2 months later. Moved boat there. Best thing ever did!! So much to do on non sailing days. So convenient. If you need or want it, its within walking distance. As far as a yard is concerned I haul out at Old Bay marina. Really shallow tho, Im 5ft draft and its a nail biter at high tide. Plenty other places within a 4 hour sail to haul out tho.
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 11:13   #25

Boat: Southerly 57

From what I know, your draft won’t usually be a problem. I don’t have too much to add other than Port Annapolis Marina mentioned above is pretty pricey, especially if you don’t sign a long term deal. Rock Hall is supposed to be awesome.
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 15:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
There are a bizillion marinas you can put a Tayana 37 for the summer.

Do you prefer a big one? A small one? Urban? Suburban? Rural?
My family lives south of Baltimore and my wife's family lives north of Baltimore, so anywhere in the general area that also has a good yard where we can work on the boast for a month on the hard works for us.

We obviously will live aboard and want a place where that's allowed, but when we haul it out (we're going to put on a new prop and all new chainplates before leaving on our circumnavigation) we want to be close to one of our family houses since we'll need to live there and commute to the boat while doing the work.

I've been researching all of the suggestions here, so thanks to all of you.
Old 31-01-2021, 16:48   #27

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

I can second Old Bay Marina (and yard) in Sparrows Point if you are going to do your own work. It's a Very relaxed little neighborhood yard. You can't be in a hurry or expect a lot of customer service (my kind of place) with a low price to match.
Brian is the owner, he can be a little cantankerous, but is a good guy. And it's right in the middle between your family north and south of Baltimore.
Brian has a 25 ton lift.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 17:00   #28
Marine Service Provider

There really are hundreds of places and 6' draft will not be a hindrance of course at most of these marinas. So...please try to narrow this down a bit more so we can help you. The choice of marina of course does not necessarily have to be directly related to availability of services on site. There is a HUGE difference between living aboard in Baltimore, versus Annapolis, versus Deale, versus Middle River...so what are your primary desirable factors? Please be as specific as possible, because if you like to work or have an easy walk or quick drive to groceries, shopping etc....well, some of the marinas mentioned above are in pretty far flung locations. And yes Annapolis is more pricey than most locations, so will you go for $3000 a yea? $6,000 a year? $10,000 a year?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:44   #29

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

When selecting a marina on the west shore of the Chesapeake I think you'll find that there will be a cost trade-off between living aboard, do-it yourself yard access, proximity to support (technical & material) and proximity to your temporary quarters while hauled. The cost is not only in the form of $$'s but also of your time: commuting, shopping for material, access to the trades. The closer you get to meeting each of your criteria the higher the cost overall. It becomes a time vs money scenario particularly when you are trying to meet a departure deadline. You should also be aware that the THI in the greater Chesapeake area can reach over 95F and many times over 100F during July and August. This can severely affect the amount of time you have during the day to be able to get any work done. For a good source of information about marinas I would recommend that you get a copy of the Waterway Guide, 2021 Chesapeake Bay Edition.
PS: There's a reason that Annapolis is the second only to Newport as the US Sailing Capitol and it's not just the cruising grounds.
JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 15:04   #30

Hey all - sorry if I haven't provided enough information.

The deal is that I don't know what marinas and yards have good reputations and easy access for a 6ft draft, so I thought saying we were liveaboards coming in for one season from June to late October, planned on a quick haul out, and wanted to be in the Baltimore area was enough of a set of parameters to get some opinions and feedback on the local marinas.

Here's some more info:

I grew up in Maryland - Ellicott City, to be precise - and lived in Baltimore city (Fells Point, Canton, Highlandtown area) for several years as well. The weather is well known to me. Plus...well...Texas kicks the sh!t out of Baltimore as far as daily heat in July/August. I'll be alright.

My Family still lives south of Baltimore, my Wife's family lives north of Baltimore.

We will have access to a car while there, and we want to visit family and have them out sailing with us.

We want to stay at one of their houses while the boat is hauled and not drive 4 hours to the yard each day.

So again, I guess I'm asking for opinions on marinas and yards in the Baltimore area that can take liveaboards on a 37 ft. sailboat with a 6 ft draft.

I guess if I had to add more qualifiers, we would want to be on the west side of the bay (see not driving 4 hours from our families house each day)

I guess finding A place where we could work on our boat in the slip as well as a yard we can haul out and work on the few things below the waterline we want to address in the same general area or same marina would be great.

And just so we're clear - all the work planned is because we want to replace things that function perfectly well but are old and/or nearing the end of their lifecycle, or putting in essential geear for our cricumnavigation. We're going to put on a new prop, install a watermaker, and replace our chainplates (and possibly some standing rigging) and knees. We also plan on refurbing exterior brightwork and repainting decks with new nonskid.

A lot of that can be done in the water if we're in a place that will let us do it.

Hope that makes thing clearer. Thanks.

Tags
boat, liveaboard, liveaboard slip, Maryland