Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 15:37   #31

Boat: Adams 45
Re: looking for a liveaboard slip in Maryland deep enough for our boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
I’ d recommend checking in with OAK Harbor Marina in Pasadena, MD. Down home marina, excellent to work with, skilled help if you need if i, 410-255 4070, good people. Just off the Patapsco River outside of Baltic. Very pretty, good depth, fantastic management.

LouK
I second this suggestion. Pasadena is just south of Baltimore near the mouth of the Patapsco. The yard is competent and easy to work with. They allow you to work on your own boat both in the water and out. Any restrictions they have are based on not inconveniencing or harming other boats. My boat has wintered there the 4 years I've owned her and I work on her throughout the winter. In spring the yard gets busy, like most, so if you have significant work you want them to do it would be best to discuss your plans in advance to find the best time.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 17:12   #32

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Port Annapolis Marina, Jabins Yacht Yard and the Eastport Yacht Center marina/yards on Back Creek in Annapolis have what you need for slips and haul-out. Port A has more amenities. Draft is not an issue at any of them. At one time or another I have used all of them. They are are all very reputable. The key will be slip availability.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:56   #33

Boat: Tayana 37

Thanks all! I've begun reaching out to and researching several of these yards and marinas. Just to keep ya'll informed:

Pasadena area - Oak Harbor and White Rocks - are a great location about 35 minutes from my family's house, but both say no liveaboards.

Question for locals - do they consider long term transients like us "transients" or "liveaboards"?

Anchorage marina seems like an excellent option for fun and access to my old stomping grounds if they consider us transients for a season and allow us to live there, but then we need to find a yard - not that big of a deal, I guess.

I need to find out if Bowleys requires a full year's fees, as the are a pretty good location in regards to my wife's family - about 45 min away.

And M. Porter - I sent you a text and will call later if I don't hear from you. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:48   #34
RVA

Jabins in Annapolis is probably the best all-around in the area..And the cleanest bath house complete w/washer/dryer...Whole staff most accommodating..
RVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:52   #35

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

In Middle River, we keep our little sloop at Parkside Marina in the summer, small but very well kept with floating dock, and a small maintenance company onsite; and in the winter, she's on the hard at Maryland Marina right next door, which has full facilities for haul-out and maintenance including a couple of large hangers for maintenance inside, as well as a popular restaurant (Sunset Cove). Had friends keep their boat there full time, they like it. They are very tolerant of DIY maintenance and have a well-equipped boat supply store onsite. Both marinas have adequate depth for your boat; I dropped my car keys in the drink while bending over to adjust a dock line, and they sat in what I measured to be 9' of water for 20 minutes (and still worked, thanks Subaru!) and we're on the side of the dock closest to shore. 30 minute transit out to the Bay proper, but nice protected marinas.

Another friend keeps their 43' at Cutters Marina in winter, also a boatyard on Middle River, and they seem to like their work. Here's a shot of Parkside - their website is Parkside Marina - Contact Us, and Maryland Marina is at https://marylandmarina.net/ . Good luck!
edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:56   #36

Boat: Amel Super Maramu, 53'

We pushed a bit further south to gain a few degrees air temp. We are at BlueWater in Hampton, VA. We have a 6'8" draft. Haulout would be at Cobb's.

Great folks at BlueWater and Cobbs. Easy access to the bridge.
E185640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:58   #37

Boat: Beneteau, 42CC, 42

I have my boat on Eastport Yatch Center (EYC) in Annapolis Eastport area. Good prices and accept live aboards. Walking distance to restaurants and all the amenities in the downtown Annapolis area. They can haul out and there are contractors on the premises that can do anything on the boat.
Vr/ Ed Rivera
L-Papotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:12   #38

Boat: Tripp 56

My daughter and son-in law lived at Harborview in Baltimore, for two years, they liked it. A number of liveaboards there, nice facilities - (Showers, Pool, etc) .
The strangest thing, there are no bugs! No cobwebs! I found that strange.
Coltrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:19   #39

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by edexter View Post
In Middle River, we keep our little sloop at Parkside Marina in the summer, small but very well kept with floating dock, and a small maintenance company onsite; and in the winter, she's on the hard at Maryland Marina right next door, which has full facilities for haul-out and maintenance including a couple of large hangers for maintenance inside, as well as a popular restaurant (Sunset Cove). Had friends keep their boat there full time, they like it. They are very tolerant of DIY maintenance and have a well-equipped boat supply store onsite. Both marinas have adequate depth for your boat; I dropped my car keys in the drink while bending over to adjust a dock line, and they sat in what I measured to be 9' of water for 20 minutes (and still worked, thanks Subaru!) and we're on the side of the dock closest to shore. 30 minute transit out to the Bay proper, but nice protected marinas.

Another friend keeps their 43' at Cutters Marina in winter, also a boatyard on Middle River, and they seem to like their work. Here's a shot of Parkside - their website is Parkside Marina - Contact Us, and Maryland Marina is at https://marylandmarina.net/ . Good luck!
Thanks! they are 45 minutes from the in-laws house, so they definitely go onthe list of phone calls this week!
Old 05-02-2021, 07:48   #40

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

Herrington Harbor North is excellent for haul out. Plenty of contractors or do it yourself
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:04   #41

Boat: Alberg 35

I have a slip at Anchorage Marina and also used to go to Tidewater for service (Alberg 35/5.5 ft draft). I've been considering White Rocks Marina for haulout this spring and possibly bottom painting. I'd be very interested if you could send names of anyone who would do this. Thanks! You can either reply by message here or my email is jeaton237 at gmail.com.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:08   #42

Boat: Alberg 35

We've had an Alberg 35 at Anchorage Marina for the past six years and love it there. No services, though. However, it's an easy walk to restaurants, starbucks across the street, grocery store nearby. I don't think you'd be considered a live aboard for that period of time.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:24   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKnight View Post
Congratulations! Herrington Harbour (North or South) is wonderful with 7' MLW. There are located south of Annapolis but great value for the amenities offered.
Yep- Herrington is a great marina. I’m a live aboard in North & they’ve plenty of depth plus the best boat yard on the bay!
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:26   #44

Boat: Catalina 270, 27 ft

Harbor East Marina in Baltimore is a very nice marina. You are right in the middle of the city but still safe. I have kept my boat there since 2013 and there has never been an issue. The nearest yards are on Rock Creek or Old Road Bay at the mouth of the Patapsco which would be a solid 2 hour boat ride from the inner harbor. You can be my neighbor.
Bawlmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:34   #45

I would also suggest Long Beach Marina in the Bowleys Quarters area. They have created a full service area with a restaurant and bar, as well as good pool area and fitness center. If you are having family come down for the day it’s a great all in one location. We have been there for 4 seasons and like the community. While you can certainly do work on your boat during the off-season when they have you on the hard if you meander up Frog Mortar Creek a bit you will come to Edwards. Not the most glamorous place, but a good boat yard with access to mechanics that can assist with projects that might be beyond your comfort level. The only issue would be planning haul out with tides a little more carefully than places down river. I think the basic question you need to ask is do you want to be in urban area with lots of things to do when you are not on the boat or in a more suburban area where you will need to drive to everything? Either way Baltimore area offers lots of great choices. Look forward to seeing you on the bay this summer!!
Aww Shucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, liveaboard, liveaboard slip, Maryland