Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 11:49   #1

Boat: Hunter 27-2
Long distance ownership

Ok, I’m currently at least 10 hours away from any ocean. Living in Northwest Arkansas. I’ve been sailing for a few years now and really want to do some coastal cruising (two or so weeks at a time). I’m trying to figure out the best way to do it. My thought is to do this a couple times a year as well as some weekend jaunts. My first thought was to buy a trailer sailer. But I think comfort level is limited, and not sure how good it would be as a coastal cruiser. Also thought about chartering but not sure if that would be the most cost effective thing considering I would be wanting to do this about 30 days per year. That and I like to own vs rent. Not sure if it matters but I would probably do this on the Texas Gulf coast somewhere, or somewhere within reasonable distance. Just want to hear people’s thoughts or experiences with this sort of thing. Thanks!
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:32   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Long distance ownership

Dry store on land, launch before you get there.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:36   #3

Interesting. Had not considered this option. How much does it cost to launch and haul out? Is it feasible to do over a long weekend? Is cost based on boat size?
Old 10-08-2018, 13:14   #4

Boat: Morgan 461

Not sure about the Texas coat, but we do this in the Caribbean. It's sometimes called a dry sail program. One downside is that you generally have to be onsite for the launch and haul unless you have a management company who will be there. Organizing a flight time to match a launch time can be tough, sometimes requiring a hotel for the night. At our marina you get a number of "free" launches and hauls throughout the period. Beyond that you pay. It's a good program.
JDeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 13:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeachman View Post
Not sure about the Texas coat, but we do this in the Caribbean. It's sometimes called a dry sail program. One downside is that you generally have to be onsite for the launch and haul unless you have a management company who will be there. Organizing a flight time to match a launch time can be tough, sometimes requiring a hotel for the night. At our marina you get a number of "free" launches and hauls throughout the period. Beyond that you pay. It's a good program.

Thanks for this information. Certainly opens up a new avenue. Out of curiosity, what do you charge for the services?
Old 10-08-2018, 14:34   #6

Boat: someone elses

following
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 15:56   #7

So I guess then the question becomes “Is it more cost effective to keep a boat in dry storage or in a slip based on how much I will use it?” Also was thinking on some sort of time sharing boat ownership, but not sure how that might work.
Old 10-08-2018, 16:15   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I commuted 2,000 miles to my boat for 4 years. Worked for an Airline so flying was free. Had to swap with other workers to get the time to spend more than a day or two which got old with my crewmates after awhile. The airline went belly up after 3 years which ended free airfare. Brought the boat close to home after a year of paying to fly. It was not a problem having the boat that far away except getting enough time to spend on the boat. Used a Bike Friday with a trailer/suitcase to get from airport to the boat and back. bikefriday.com

Kept the boat in a marina. Made friends with guys who actually used their boats and were around the marina regularly to keep an eye on it. Nothing ever came up, though. Dry storage could work if the yards are set up for it. Wouldn't have worked where I had the boat as there were no storage yards with access to a travel lift. Hauling the boat would've meant paying very expensive yard laydays at a boat yard.

As far as being practical, HELL NO. But then it's a boat and isn't practical anyway. In my case, free airfare made it possible. Also son and family lived in the area so it gave me a chance to babysit the grandson. The airline's bankruptcy and my son's job transfer out of the area eventually made having the boat there less than exciting so sailed it home.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 18:11   #9

Boat: Catalina 320

I believe in your situation I'd lean towards a large trailer boat that can be sailed in the ocean or anywhere between. First choice would be a Corsair Tri, 31 foot and wicked fast.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...g#.W243JrmWy01
Or a Hake Seaward, I met a nice couple from Michigan with one wintering at Lake mead.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/cat...e/Seaward/32RK
Dry store or paint bottom and launch somewhere you can sail year round or move it as the seasons suit.
Florida in winter and San Diego, CA or Bellingham, WA in summer, you might get tired of palm trees.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 18:40   #10

Boat: Tartan 3000

My vote would be for a trailer sailor. For one thing it would allow you to confirm the boats readiness prior to leaving home.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 09:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I believe in your situation I'd lean towards a large trailer boat that can be sailed in the ocean or anywhere between. First choice would be a Corsair Tri, 31 foot and wicked fast.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...g#.W243JrmWy01
Or a Hake Seaward, I met a nice couple from Michigan with one wintering at Lake mead.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/cat...e/Seaward/32RK
Dry store or paint bottom and launch somewhere you can sail year round or move it as the seasons suit.
Florida in winter and San Diego, CA or Bellingham, WA in summer, you might get tired of palm trees.

Yep, I’m starting to lean toward the trailer sailer. Thanks for the advice and links. Seems to be the most cost effective approach. I would be saving a ton on monthly fees, maintenance, etc. although the two are extremely nice, I think I will need to stay under the 50k range. I’ve seen some nice ones out there. Pacific Seacraft Dana 24, com-pac 23, seaward 25, and a few 26 footers I cant remember the names. I think I’m wanting diesel inboard vs. outboard. The Nimble Kodiak Pilothouse looks interesting, but need to see it in person. Anyway, it looks like I have some good options. Thanks gentlemen for your input. Any more thoughts on good seaworthy trailerables is welcome.
Old 13-08-2018, 09:46   #12

Boat: Vancouver 27

The NorSea27 is another great little trailer boat, but quickly approaches the budget. The pacific seacraft 25 with the tabernacled mast might be a good option as well. Headroom might be an issue in the PSC25.

We keep our Vancouver 27 in the caribe and sail winters. She has a trailer that's been sitting in NC for a few years now. Trailerable but not exactly trailer-friendly..looking at about 13,000lbs of towing including the trailer in our case. That's a big truck!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
The NorSea27 is another great little trailer boat, but quickly approaches the budget. The pacific seacraft 25 with the tabernacled mast might be a good option as well. Headroom might be an issue in the PSC25.

We keep our Vancouver 27 in the caribe and sail winters. She has a trailer that's been sitting in NC for a few years now. Trailerable but not exactly trailer-friendly..looking at about 13,000lbs of towing including the trailer in our case. That's a big truck!
Good info thank you. I have an 07 Nissan Titan which can probably handle up to 7000 lbs. As far as headroom, I’m fortunate to not need more than 5’9”.
Old 13-08-2018, 13:32   #14

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

There was a good article in YM (I think) recently about "dry sailing". A guy in the UK who was sick of the rubbish weather and moved his boat to the west coast of France where he calls up, they chuck the boat in the water, and he flies over to sail it for a week or so. No maintenance issues and no worries about the boat being unattended in the water, and ended up cheaper than the marina fees in the UK even including the flight costs.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:53   #15

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRags View Post
Ok, I’m currently at least 10 hours away from any ocean. Living in Northwest Arkansas. I’ve been sailing for a few years now and really want to do some coastal cruising (two or so weeks at a time). I’m trying to figure out the best way to do it. My thought is to do this a couple times a year as well as some weekend jaunts. My first thought was to buy a trailer sailer. But I think comfort level is limited, and not sure how good it would be as a coastal cruiser. Also thought about chartering but not sure if that would be the most cost effective thing considering I would be wanting to do this about 30 days per year. That and I like to own vs rent. Not sure if it matters but I would probably do this on the Texas Gulf coast somewhere, or somewhere within reasonable distance. Just want to hear people’s thoughts or experiences with this sort of thing. Thanks!
Another option is to buy a boat and put it into charter. I don't know about the Gulf but here in the PNW the boats tend to be older (late 90s to 2010s) and so a bit more affordable and you get a little less antsy about "damage" by charterers as they all have their dents and dings.

Depending on who you put it in charter with, you can take as much owner time as you want and the big plus is when you arrive, you step on to the boat and go... no delays due to maintenance issues or work that has piled up on the off season. Here in the PNW you will never make any money but if you are lucky you will break even — which makes it way cheaper than chartering or just owning.

Just another way to get in some sailing time when you live thousands of miles from the boat:-)

Tags
ownership