Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 16:07   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Living with Pain

It has been 3 months now of being back to full time liveaboard, after a 11 year hiatus, where the comforts of a house, business projects and far too many Resteraunt meals, took their toll on the body.

The good news is that the weight is coming off naturally, I'm on a healthy no carb diet, muscle mass building up slowly, no migraines and my BP is at acceptable levels.
Most importantly, I'm so happy being back in my element and away from the marina.

BUT, old injuries bring with it pains to knee caps, ankles (tore my Achilles Tendon two years ago) and of course the lower back, when I forget my age and use muscle over brains!

I never take pain killers, but that bottle of scotch is looking profoundly medicinal!
Any advice or suggestions?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 16:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Living with Pain

Just grin and bear it, If your losing weight that is likely the best thing you can do. I need to myself. Simple matter of physics, if you weigh less, it’s way kinder on your knees etc.
Don’t be shy of NSAIDS though, of course stay way away from anything narcotic
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 16:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
It has been 3 months now of being back to full time liveaboard, after a 11 year hiatus, where the comforts of a house, business projects and far too many Resteraunt meals, took their toll on the body.

The good news is that the weight is coming off naturally, I'm on a healthy no carb diet, muscle mass building up slowly, no migraines and my BP is at acceptable levels.
Most importantly, I'm so happy being back in my element and away from the marina.

BUT, old injuries bring with it pains to knee caps, ankles (tore my Achilles Tendon two years ago) and of course the lower back, when I forget my age and use muscle over brains!

I never take pain killers, but that bottle of scotch is looking profoundly medicinal!
ALCOHOL is highly addictive and not a pain killer but a brain killer.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 16:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
ALCOHOL is highly addictive and not a pain killer but a brain killer.
Getting old is not for sissy s
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 16:41   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry to hear the problems, Pelagic.

My cousin is seeing a pain management doctor, and working with a neurologist. Myself, pain drove me to two spinal fusions and later, spinal decompression surgery, and bilateral total knee replacements. How I feel about it all is sort of unprintable, but if you have too much pain, you quit moving, and that is definitely not good for your body: it atrophies if you are inactive. So, I'd suggest a full workup with a doc who is recommended for success, not so much personality, and then follow their advice. When you find out exactly what you're dealing with, people will recommend appropriate doctors. It is not too hard to find good ones that practice at hospitals with low post operative infection rates.

Continuing to lose weight will help some, but if you have bone on bone contact in your knees, replacement surgery can give you back your hiking and other walking, as well as swimming, snorkeling, diving. Most people do not have the problems I did, which are idiosyncratic to my body.

Ann
Old 31-12-2018, 16:52   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A smart physical therapy routine can be a big help. You get exercise on a boat, but not all the right things. Without specific knowledge I can only offer "free" advise, and you know that that is worth. That said...

... I've had PT for a number of things over the years, specifically lower back and knee problems. I've found that keeping some of them up really helps:

Knees
* Quad sets or knee raises.
* Hip extensions 4 ways.

Back. These are most easily described from yoga

* Cat and camel to warm up.
* Hamstring stretches on my back using a sail tie.
* Facing sun back stretch.
* Kayaking. The core rotation really helps, and it's fun anyway. Better than screwing with the inflatable, most days.

Sailing seems to work for everything else.
Old 31-12-2018, 16:54   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A smart physical therapy routine can be a big help. You get exercise on a boat, but not all the right things. Without specific knowledge I can only offer "free" advise, and you know that that is worth. That said...

... I've had PT for a number of things over the years, specifically lower back and knee problems. I've found that keeping some of them up really helps:

Knees
* Hip extensions 4 ways.

* Hamstring stretches laying on my back using a sail tie. Really helps the back. Counterintuative, but true. Also easy.

* Kayaking. The core rotation really helps, and it's fun anyway. Better than screwing with the inflatable, most days.

Sailing seems to work for everything else. But mostly, if you have ever had PT, think about what they suggested and decide if any of it still makes sense. Google too.
Old 31-12-2018, 16:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I’m 6 months on and 6 months off. Just those 6 months off took a toll on me. Being back aboard and I immediately began to feel better.

BUT now I’ve got to find my sea legs and loose the gut.

I take 2 ibuprofen a day, because if I don’t I get some weird low level inflammation in my body. At first I took 4 doses a day for a year or so and that REALLY helped. Before my feet hurt so bad I couldn’t walk a half mile. All kinds of bodily aches and pains. But now I’m back to just this maintenance dose. If stuff kicks up, or I get a touch of gout because I had a beer or milkshake I take extra doses for a few days. Clearly not for all but it’s my story.

Other than that I take no meds, 68 years old.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 17:04   #9

Quote:

I'm sure you will get some really good advice from those here with a medical background.

I can only relate my situation. I am in my early 60s with some chronic pain (osteoarthritis and lower back pain/sciatica) but not that bad, mostly just annoying. I have had a few surgeries the last few years as a result of regularly getting smashed doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Yea....I'm the oldest idiot at the academy.

I love scotch too but for me booze is a lousy pain killer....headaches just add to the misery.

So far, OTC painkillers when needed and pressing on as usual seems to work. I have found that many of my aches and pains get better (eventually) by continuing to work my body....even lower back pain. Of course one has to listen to one's body and not injure or re-injure yourself, but DON'T stop moving. I'm no doctor, but I'm told becoming sedentary is not a good thing and I'm guessing this will not be an issue for you living onboard.

Hope you feel better soon and Happy New Year!
Old 31-12-2018, 17:07   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Embrace the drugs, befriend ice and heat packs, get yourself a tens unit, stretch, cry

welcome to the club!
Old 31-12-2018, 17:12   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Pain is no fun but it is nature’s way of letting you know you are still alive. This year I had a total knee replacement and prostate surgery. Getting old...sometimes humor helps.

Speaking of getting old, here are some secrets of aging:

“The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age.” Lucille Ball

“Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind it doesn't matter.” Jack Benny

“You've heard of the three ages of man... youth, middle age, and ‘you're looking wonderful‘. ” Francis Cardinal Spellman

“For all the advances in modern medicine there's still no cure for the common birthday.” John Glenn

“May you live all the days of your life.” Jonathan Swift
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 17:18   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

Go for the scotch. It doesn’t dull the pain, but the world always looks better seen through the glass of a fine single malt .

I have lived with chronic pain for most of my life. I managed to break a crap load of bones, including my neck and back (and ankles and ribs and…), so boat work is often rather challenging for me. I’m also overweight, which doesn’t help much.

I stay away from pain meds most of the time, but do take ibuprofen on occasion.

Other than booze, my only real solution is to go slow, and not try and do too much at one time. It usually takes me three times longer than most to do any job, but so be it.
Old 31-12-2018, 17:40   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Knees
* Hip extensions 4 ways.

* Hamstring stretches on my back using a sail tie.

Sailing seems to work for everything else.
^^ +1 I find stationary bike and reciprocal work very well for my knees and I do some leg lifts front and side for my hips.

I let myself go until my knee screamed at me and had to get back at it again and feel so much better. The inside joint of my left knee is bone on bone but the stronger the balance muscles get the less pain I have. Walking quite a bit now without the cane and I'm able to walk up and down stairs without discomfort.

Nice to hear that you are back on the boat.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 17:55   #14

When I was younger, my doctor told me that when I got older I was going to have all the “itis’s”, from all my sports injuries. He was right. My motto, a little pain never hurt anybody. When you quit hurting, you’re dead.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 19:25   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Knees
* Hip extensions 4 ways.

* Hamstring stretches laying on my back using a sail tie. Really helps the back. Counterintuative, but true. Also easy.

Sailing seems to work for everything else. But mostly, if you have ever had PT, think about what they suggested and decide if any of it still makes sense. Google too.
Great Advice Thinwater...
This makes the most sense to limber up the body with a daily regime and let the Sea motion and swimming/diving reinforce those atrophied muscles.

I'm not one for Dr. Visits and we will soon be moving slowly from place to place thru S.E. Asia, so need to home school on this.

Are their any recommended self help videos on "limbering up old bones" that I could start using?

I have never drunk booze on a daily basis, generally a glass with a meal about twice a week and will probably quit altogether as my crew of Zaida and her sister don't drink at all.

With booze I feel it all too easily, so socially it doesn't work for me and I stick with water.

Someone mentioned 2 Ibuprofen as a daily buffer....
At the moment I only take one Colchicine for gout avoidance... (Love seafood but not had an attack in years, as long as I take that tiny pill once a day)

Is Ibuprofen similar as a maintenance medicine, while my body gets challenged more?
Are there any long term side effects from doing this
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote