Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 07:17   #91

Boat: 1978 Cape Dory 30K
Re: Living with Pain

I was getting major pain in my lower back , headaches and shoulder pain. I was told it was due to years of physical work. I was taking Tylenol about 10:30 -11:00 everyday. I tried Advil but then I read the warnings on the container. I was in San Francisco last year and got the electronic impulse treatment. I have to say it was miraculous. I continued the treatments back home for 10 minutes about once a week for a few months. I don't go any more and I don't have the back pain or headaches at all any more. The shoulders still hurt. They say it's damaged tendons. When I'm out sailing . I have to hang from the rigging ,twist and swing back and forth a little. It makes it better so I can sleep. I see the Electronic Impulse machines are available for reasonable price but they probably are 110 volt
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 07:55   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
... i have found blessed relief with elephant tree tea . red elephant tree tea is the deal...
... with due diligence the apothecary homeopathic set can find the usa name for it..copol? copal?? something similar...
You got it ✓.
Bursera hindsiana common Names include:
ENGLISH: Copal, Red Elephant Tree, Torchwood, Red Torchwood
Bursera hindsiana

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 08:08   #93

Boat: None

Ibuprofen and ice. No, not ice in the scotch. Apply it to the offending area.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:46   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
I was getting major pain in my lower back , headaches and shoulder pain. I was told it was due to years of physical work. I was taking Tylenol about 10:30 -11:00 everyday. I tried Advil but then I read the warnings on the container. I was in San Francisco last year and got the electronic impulse treatment. I have to say it was miraculous. I continued the treatments back home for 10 minutes about once a week for a few months. I don't go any more and I don't have the back pain or headaches at all any more. The shoulders still hurt. They say it's damaged tendons. When I'm out sailing . I have to hang from the rigging ,twist and swing back and forth a little. It makes it better so I can sleep. I see the Electronic Impulse machines are available for reasonable price but they probably are 110 volt
We have a couple of TENS units, which are about the size of a pack of cards and run on a single 9v battery. You put four electrodes on sticky pad around the area in pain and turn on the TENS unit. Just don't turn it up too high.

We first got a TENS unit from a Chiropractor but we got another one when a family member had shoulder surgery to minimize pain. Eventually THREE shoulder surgeries from one of the top university hospitals. The TENS units worked well for us, along with ice packs. Amazing what a bit of ice will do.

I injured my shoulder a few years ago, and even after a steroid shot, the pain was still present. Tried some Curcumin supplements and they removed the pain completely, unlike taking Ibuprofen or other over the counter pain meds.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 10:21   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
We have a couple of TENS units, which are about the size of a pack of cards and run on a single 9v battery. You put four electrodes on sticky pad around the area in pain and turn on the TENS unit. Just don't turn it up too high.

We first got a TENS unit from a Chiropractor but we got another one when a family member had shoulder surgery to minimize pain. Eventually THREE shoulder surgeries from one of the top university hospitals. The TENS units worked well for us, along with ice packs. Amazing what a bit of ice will do.

I injured my shoulder a few years ago, and even after a steroid shot, the pain was still present. Tried some Curcumin supplements and they removed the pain completely, unlike taking Ibuprofen or other over the counter pain meds.

Later,
Dan
Oh Yea! Great! I see the Tens units are available everywhere. Under $50
Old 26-02-2020, 10:31   #96
running down a dream

Boat: CD30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

lesson learned today: never wear flip flops when working on a boat. or risk stubbing toe on various dock cleats .. serious pain later

gonesail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 10:43   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
lesson learned today: never wear flip flops when working on a boat. or risk stubbing toe on various dock cleats .. serious pain later
I agree. I just finished reading some of the popular writers. Many advocate being barefoot and naked. Not happening with me . I always need protective clothing. Of course I'm singlehandling. I guess I might change if I were on a luxury yacht with a beautiful babe. I'll never know.
Old 26-02-2020, 13:53   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
No money for the pharma companies or medical profession in Whole Food Plant Based diet so you won't hear much about it.

Regarding joint pain, give up meat,fish and dairy for a week and see if the pain is reduced. Works for me.
Couldn’t agree more. Diet is key. Forks over knives (movie)
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 14:47   #99
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

I had mild torn biceps tendon. 2 years of constant throbbing pain. Not extreme just annoying. Started using collagen recently, daily and glucosamine daily with high quality multivitamin and magnesium chloride. In addition I stretch daily and the throbbing pain has gone to mild. So much so I went from taking ibuprofen daily to once or twice a month.

The stretching makes a big difference. If I stop for a few days its noticeable. The collagen and vitamins seem to take the edge off so long as I take them regularly.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 04:56   #100
cruiser

Have you ever tried CBD oil? I believe CBD had definite analgesic properties. Tough to describe but make the body tingly like you are in water. I live in a legal state and able to purchase cannabis flower and oil with a 1:1 ratio of CBD to THC. Vaporizing in small amounts (micro-dosing) works well for me. Also you can try pure CBD here.
Sam8989 is offline   Reply With Quote