Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2019, 16:30   #76

Boat: Corsair 31 Trimaran
Re: Living with Pain

One of the best things that you can do for chronic pain has been discussed already and that it exercise. Another very effective approach is to take Omega 3 fish oil. Fish oil is very anti-inflammatory. A low carb diet is a good start as this will lower your Omega 6 fatty acid intake (from grains) which cause inflammation.

I usually recommend getting a liquid Omega 3 supplement (Nordic and Barleen's are both good brands) On the label it will state that a teaspoon equals so many milligrams. Fill a large shot glass with 7000 mg and then mark the side of the glass with a marker. Then once a day fill it to the 7000 mg mark and down it. (They have flavors like lime and peach I believe) Most of my patients see a significant difference in 3 weeks.
BMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 17:42   #77

Boat: nauticat 44

okay here is my 3 cents worth. i am 66. not overweight. walk 4-6 miles daily. have been in chronic pain for at least 30 years now. tried physical therapy/chiropractor/acupuncture/herb medicines. had major back surgery scheduled but was talked out of it by several people who were no better after it or worse. what seems to help me the most is the following......plenty of sleep.staying away from people who create lots of drama/negative/takers or have little love. walk or lightly exercise during different periods of the day. think and read positive things and people. helping others. eating mostly only non processed foods. every few days a bowl of high quality ice cream. no drinking. coffee only in the morning. hardly any dinner. 2 acetaminophen in the morning with food. and on doctor's orders 1- 5-325 oxycodone which for sure will cause howls from some of you ! my goal is to get off of this but it is such a blessing that helps me relax in the evening (remember) no drinking for me. okay shipmates start blasting away now with your comments !!! bring it on.
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 21:46   #78

I empathize with everyone here who lives with chronic pain. I am 45 and have been in constant pain for 18 years, and on and off for lengthy periods since I was 19. I have neck pain without a definitive diagnosis, but as things progress and the signs become clearer I may be a candidate for fusion - but I am worried I may be worse off afterwords, and that would pretty much be the end for me.

In the meantime I cope with annual cervical epidurals, which seem to provide some relief. For the most part, I find that dealing with pain is primarily a mental game, as drugs don't really work for me. I try to keep moving and stay positive, especially since I know it is also hard on my wife and young son when I am struggling.

We bailed out of the system and went cruising for a year recently since I don't know what the future holds for me. I felt MUCH better overall than I do " normally ", so perhaps we will have to go again one day. I find that I hurt most when things are too comfortable and mundane (and note we live aboard and I work on boats for a living so things are never that dull) - I felt the best I have in years beating up the coast for weeks into 20 knots....I feel strongly that my mind must be preoccupied with something outside of my physical pain and limitations for me to " be OK ". Too much comfort and my pain becomes overwhelming, mentally and physically.

So, my advice to all those in a similar circumstance is to get out there and do it. Best wishes to all who suffer - it is not easy, but as my Dad used to say, " hang in there ".

I watch this when I'm really having a rough go to remind myself of what i can do when I get my head around it and just do it.

Caddy Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 22:00   #79

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

[QUOTE=Caddy Shack;2803604]I have neck pain without a definitive diagnosis, but as things progress and the signs become clearer I may be a candidate for fusion - but I am worried I may be worse off afterwords, and that would pretty much be the end for me.

In the meantime I cope with annual cervical epidurals, which seem to provide some relief.

I have had multiple fusions of the cervical area. They used to put you in headgear so all you could move were your eyes. That sucked but the pain relief I got was more than worth it. Next fusion they didn't fuze anything. just removed all the offending parts and said if your body wants it fuzed it will, otherwise it won't and it makes no difference. Then I broke my neck. That got fuzed but without the headgear. Ok, somewhat limited range of motion but it doesn't stop me or even slow me down much.

I wrote earlier about having an RFA procedure done on low back and soon on my knee. This is strictly about pain relief and they do it a lot on the cervical area. It's an in/out procedure. I'd look into that before a fusion.

PM me if you want more info
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 08:06   #80

Boat: nauticat 44

For what's it worth, I would try and do anything to avoid surgery. I was talked out of it by several folks who had it and were no better or worst off afterwards. The risks just seem too high versus the potential benefits. All that I am doing for myself appears to have resulted in my pain level not going any higher. I am grateful for that to say the least. Hopefully, the next step for me will be to stop taking the little bit of pain medicine. When we are able to use our boat, that should help relieve some of the pain. Who knows, maybe we can go for a very long ride around the entire world ! Why not dream.
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 08:28   #81

Have to agree with opting out of surgery. Everyone I know, that has had surgery, has said they're worse off than before, i.e. more pain and less mobility. There are some alternatives out there that are less invasive and may produce better results.
Acupuncture worked for me, took about four months of treatment and has been three years without any issues. It cost me about $50 for each visit and was well worth it.
I feel your pain, bro.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 11:20   #82

[QUOTE=Cpt Mark;2803609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy Shack View Post
I have neck pain without a definitive diagnosis, but as things progress and the signs become clearer I may be a candidate for fusion - but I am worried I may be worse off afterwords, and that would pretty much be the end for me.

In the meantime I cope with annual cervical epidurals, which seem to provide some relief.

I have had multiple fusions of the cervical area. They used to put you in headgear so all you could move were your eyes. That sucked but the pain relief I got was more than worth it. Next fusion they didn't fuze anything. just removed all the offending parts and said if your body wants it fuzed it will, otherwise it won't and it makes no difference. Then I broke my neck. That got fuzed but without the headgear. Ok, somewhat limited range of motion but it doesn't stop me or even slow me down much.

I wrote earlier about having an RFA procedure done on low back and soon on my knee. This is strictly about pain relief and they do it a lot on the cervical area. It's an in/out procedure. I'd look into that before a fusion.

PM me if you want more info
Thanks for the advice. I will look into RFA, but I am not sure I am candidate, as prior to the cervical injections I had a nerve block (which seems to be the test for RFA), and I did not feel any benefit at all from that.

Medial Branch/Lateral Branch Nerve Block:

Before the radiofrequency ablation procedure, a lateral branch or medial branch nerve block will have already been performed to prove that the patient's pain is being transmitted by those nerves. The medial branch or lateral branch block acts as a test run before the neurotomy procedure.

However, it is good to read about someone who benefited from cervical surgery, and I wish you good luck with the rest!
Caddy Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 11:42   #83

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

[QUOTE=Caddy Shack;2803991]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post

Thanks for the advice. I will look into RFA, but I am not sure I am candidate, as prior to the cervical injections I had a nerve block (which seems to be the test for RFA), and I did not feel any benefit at all from that.

Medial Branch/Lateral Branch Nerve Block:

Before the radiofrequency ablation procedure, a lateral branch or medial branch nerve block will have already been performed to prove that the patient's pain is being transmitted by those nerves. The medial branch or lateral branch block acts as a test run before the neurotomy procedure.

However, it is good to read about someone who benefited from cervical surgery, and I wish you good luck with the rest!
The Dr I am seeing is an anesthesiologist. Those are the guys doing them in my area as they are experts in nerve blocks etc. The 1st 2 tests involve injecting a tiny amount of a local anesthetic into the nerve and see if that helps or not. They do it twice in separate appointments. If that gives you enough relief they will do the actual procedure. When they inject the nerve you need to understand that they cannot see the nerve. It is too small so they use x-ray or the like and and put it in where the nerve should be based on human anatomy. 1 test in my low back gave me a good result. Still had pain but better. next test eliminated all the pain. Procedure reduced the pain significantly. If they are off by the tiniest amount it has an effect. With this procedure I'm not looking for 100%. relief. I'm looking for significant reduction. The great thing about RFA is if it doesn't work it's no big deal. Just a few appointments. It's not like a botched surgery. Ask me how I know that one. All of the cervical spine surgeries I have had were 100% successful. Yes, I have some nerve pain but in comparison to what the pain was, who cares? I don't take anything for it ever, doesn't interfere with life. Restricted mobility meant I was a crappy surfer because I couldn't raise my head enough to paddle properly and look behind for where the waves were. I can drive any vehicle, used to ride my motorcycle at high speeds in the twisties and can fly airplanes, helm boats etc.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 18:56   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras53 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
and on doctor's orders 1- 5-325 oxycodone which for sure will cause howls from some of you ! my goal is to get off of this but it is such a blessing that helps me relax in the evening (remember) no drinking for me. okay shipmates start blasting away now with your comments !!! bring it on.

Blasting? Hardly. I've been there, too, same regiment...regime...regimen... OK, same deal. I space the oc way out, sometimes days, but it sure nice to get relief. I'm 73, still sailing, maintaining and fixing things. Sound familiar?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 20:53   #85

Boat: Quorning Dragonfly 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
use extreme caution with acetominophen and asa and or ibu in conjunction with each other.. is liver damage city.
Zeehag is right. I stumbled on this “Acetaminophen Is Leading Cause of Acute Liver Failure”
https://www.medpagetoday.com/psychiatry/depression/2233
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 20:57   #86

Boat: BR 12m Steel Pilot House Ketch

just stumbled across this, and not sure how old it is.. (still learning how use forums).

I may not be qualified to give advice about cruising, but Pain is certainly in my wheel house...

54 today, and nearly crippled from 30 years of firefighting, most of which was wild land in the 11 western states.

My wife is a saint, and has tried everything. Last year she found an article about lectin and inflammation and slowly changed my diet. I seriously had no idea she was changing anything at first. Not a big diet guy but Ill be damed if that didn't help.

I can not explain what a Lectin free diet is all about, but its on the net. I have been able to stop taking Oxy and I lost 40 pounds over the last year which isn't from the diet but from my ability to be active again... I still hurt, so its not a cure, but Im not an angry @$$ anymore, according to my wife..

Just a for what its worth.....
Salmoneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 19:03   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

It has been known for a very long time that overdosing on acetaminophen will cause liver damage. However taken in recommended dosage it is a safe drug. I take way less than the max. number of doses. It is also known that it can be safely taken with ibuprofen, again at a safe dosage. The two combined are more effective than either one taken separately. Just be careful and don't overdose.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 19:39   #88

Boat: BR 12m Steel Pilot House Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
It has been known for a very long time that overdosing on acetaminophen will cause liver damage. However taken in recommended dosage it is a safe drug. I take way less than the max. number of doses. It is also known that it can be safely taken with ibuprofen, again at a safe dosage. The two combined are more effective than either one taken separately. Just be careful and don't overdose.
My doc told me that as well. Over the years though Ive had to switch from Ibuprofen to Tylenol to Aleve because my pain would not respond to those anymore. The Oxy works like a charm, but I saw myself dying before my time from the vegetative state it put me in.

The doc says for me personally, it is about inflammation. All those medications above are to help with that.

In contrast however, Im sure we all know that person who drank whiskey and smoked cigarettes every day and lived to be in their 80s or 90s. So for me, I think you just know if your regime is worth it or not. Im not willing to risk it myself...
Salmoneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 04:04   #89
cruiser

With regards to medical marijuana I used it for years to great effect. It was the only thing I could find that helped the pain and didn't make me sick. Though it's very important to calculate proper weed measurements for good results.
Sam8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 06:45   #90
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i have known pain as a constant since age 7. reynauds disease is a bitch.
i have found blessed relief with elephant tree tea . red elephant tree tea is the deal. effects last indefinitely for traumatic arthritis, but reynauds inflammation got me only 4.5 months of blessed relief. red elephant tree is found in a band across mid baja, and it is illegal to remove any . oops. with due diligence the apothecary homeopathic set can find the usa name for it..copol? copal?? something similar.
ketoralaco sl blessedly is otc here. i used 2 gm ibu twice daily for many years just to be able to work. did i say walk? hahaha
i know many oldsters using cbd oil and they recommend it.. i have not tried that as yet. i still endure for most part, just cannot use hands at all. dequervains tendon issues donot m ix well with carpal tunnel issues..hahahahaha many tools into drink.
i never did find any use for narc medications for pain, as those only make the brain foggy and make ye not care ye have pain. nope want my brain to work when i want the thing to work. hahahahaha picky aint i.
caffeine when added to a pain concoction makes that medicine work better. it is also a good asthmatic addition... bronchodilator like its cousin theophylline but less side effects. i use coffee for asthma. works well as a maintenance drug.
i take my pain meds at bedtime for a decent sleep. i take my asthma meds in am so i can sleep at night.
when i need something for any pains, i use ketorolac sl. excellent drug, i was introduced to it when i managed pacu--we injected all our waking patients with
toradol 60 mg im instead of morphine. our pains are caused by inflammation, therefore fix cause so symptom(pain) is not there. easy peasy. unless rsd is a factor.
thankfully that is not my issue. hahahahaha
i hope you all find relief from your aches and pains. it is a massive beast to deal with chronic pain on a daily basis
btw--you WILL find hydration is a factor in pain control. must stay well hydrated or pain happens. pain intensifies with dehydration. most folks are basically dehydrated and will not drink enough water to rehydrate. oops. take another drug.....

https://sksolitarybird.org/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote