Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 01:21   #46

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Living with Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
No such thing as a healthy low carb diet. Adkins and “paleo” are a recipe for cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, cancer, IBS, acid reflux etc. The only “diet” that’s scientifically proven to prevent and reverse such illnesses is a whole-food plant based diet. References upon request, or do your own homework.
No money for the pharma companies or medical profession in Whole Food Plant Based diet so you won't hear much about it.

Regarding joint pain, give up meat,fish and dairy for a week and see if the pain is reduced. Works for me.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:32   #47

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Don’t be shy of NSAIDS though, of course stay way away from anything narcotic
Just a word if advice - although most people consider NSAIDS to be safe drugs there is a very real and significant increase in heart attack and stroke risk that comes with their use.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...k-201507138138
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:13   #48
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

naproxen is my drug of choice. nothing else works. also in reply to them being dangerous: life will kill you too
Old 10-01-2019, 06:33   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

pelagic..i have always felt best a t sea. there is something magical about our oceans that increases vitality and strength, aside from the oopsies we experience as novices in her strong arms.
during my 30 plus years working in my chosen profession, i encountered many chronic pain sufferers and worked with an anes who treated chronic pain in our pacu. was most enlightening.
there are so many ways to treat pain, and all come down to mental attitude. i considered myself fortunate to have been one of the chosen early pain individuals, despite the lack of diagnosis until i was 47 or so.. and chose to not make myself dependent on pain as an excuse to not do. work it out and work with it for success -- make muscles do that which bones and joints refuse to do. not only is this a positive thing, it also makes body strong an d sailor kindly. i find when my muscles rest too long i am in bad pain situations i can avoid with regular rowing and bicycling.
my knees back neck yada yada are toast and i am not a surgical candidate with my reynauds i am in md hands when they cannot see what my true coloring is. oops dangerous in operating room situations when you are that flat thing being cut and sewn, and my associated allergic reactions preclude many medications...as my life is in my hands i need to ensure my viability sola.
i cannot allow my pain level to flatten me.
ships and sailors rot in port. is real. play with the toys we buy for kids to remain active and healthy. diet is a crock. too many trendy dangerous fads.
just eat right for you. you will learn to associate foods with good or bad bodily reactions. pain is a symptom, donot allow it to rule you. you are still new at this. you have a realistic attitude, so you will win by continuing to move and use those muscles associated with the regions of your body that ache and scream at you. yes they are difficult to ignore--donot ignore em, use em wisely in your favor. stretch muscles that help cause discomfort when crimped--neck and back etc...maintain proper alignment and for necks, do wall pushups to maintain the strength of those neck muscles we find knotted with whiplashes. mine was righteous with migraines and dizziness and issues i could not control before pt was engaged in my progress after the accident from hell(idiot on a fone in a mercedes ran into me tried to push my car off coronado bridge in 2004--is how i gained ssdi--he tried to push me off bridge at 2 times speed limit). hurt a lot. glad i can DRIVE. hahahaha. so i am allowed to rest and relax unable to work anymore --in a nice tropical locale away from cold and snow. works for me.. my issue is trying to maintain my exerciser level at 70 when i forget to drink enough to keep pain minimal. hahahahaha
reminds me i need to pick up my bike from shop today so i can ride more and use bad knees in a positive manner.
we each have that special way of doing our work so that our bodies are optimal... not all of us are able to do jobs as proscribed by the yachtsmans handbook. modifications are required to accommodate our needs.
best o luck to ye..you can do this.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:52   #50

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Cute, but I think there’s something to this.

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about pain. I think the whole concept is actually pretty interesting.

I have chronic pain in my back, neck and ankles due to a long drop and a sudden stop many years ago. I purposely say I “have pain,” not “suffer from pain,” and I think this is important — at least it is for me.

Pain is just nerve receptors firing. Everyone, from the youngest baby to the oldest person, has pain. Some of us have more than others, but measuring or comparing pain is as impossible as knowing what’s really happening in someone else’s brain.

For me, I shy away from pain drugs most of the time. I’m not trying to be stoic. It’s just that when I take pain meds I suddenly become aware of the absence of pain. And this then brings the pain I normally have into focus.

I don’t want to take any drugs all the time, so instead I accept that my chronic pain is part of my normal background. I also accept that I have limitations on what I can do, and/or how fast I can do things.

I’m no hero about pain meds. I do take ibuprofen when acute pain flares (often after doing something I shouldn’t), but I don’t take anything to manage the chronic pain.
In other words, "PAIN IS MANDATORY BUT SUFFERING IS OPTIONAL."

(quoting a rugby-playing friend of mine who was quoting someone else I'm sure).
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:00   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
Just a word if advice - although most people consider NSAIDS to be safe drugs there is a very real and significant increase in heart attack and stroke risk that comes with their use.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...k-201507138138
Yeah, but constant pain with almost cause it and what are you going to do? I blame my heart attack partially of constant pain that kept me from getting a good night sleep for years.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:10   #52

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about pain. I think the whole concept is actually pretty interesting.

I have chronic pain in my back, neck and ankles due to a long drop and a sudden stop many years ago. I purposely say I “have pain,” not “suffer from pain,” and I think this is important — at least it is for me.

Pain is just nerve receptors firing. Everyone, from the youngest baby to the oldest person, has pain. Some of us have more than others, but measuring or comparing pain is as impossible as knowing what’s really happening in someone else’s brain.

Mike, my take on this is that I don’t have pain, I have strong sensory feedback. The sensation is my body telling me something is going on. Fear is what make that be perceived as pain. That works for me up to a point. And with management of pain meds that is the point.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:17   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:

Even better might be, "There is pain".
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post

I have three suggestions. Feel free to treat them with disdain, but with chronic pain, you are probably willing to try anything.

Amen. With my first back injury, if someone told me the pain would go away if I ran naked around my house 12 times, counter clock wise, under a full moon, with a potato in each hand, I would have given it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post

My second suggestion concerns sleep. A nursing friend of mine was, coincidentally, involved in some research that showed that pain from whiplash injuries was closely related to the quality of sleep experienced by the sufferer. This makes sense, if you think about it. Poor quality sleep causes stress and stress exacerbates tension in the neck muscles, which causes pain, etc. etc.. Clearly others think this too:

So, at the same time as I persuaded my doctor to prescribe antibiotics I also persuaded him to prescribe Mirtazapine, which is an antidepressant that causes extreme drowsiness. The first time I took Mirtazapine I slept for 36 hours without interruption! Prior to that I hadn't slept for more than three hours without interruption.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Yeah, but constant pain with almost cause it and what are you going to do? I blame my heart attack partially of constant pain that kept me from getting a good night sleep for years.
Sleep is a big deal and I think often overlooked health wise. When I get sick, thankfully not often, I will take medicine to help me sleep if required. I will suffer during the day but sleep is most important to not only heal but to remain healthy.

In one of the All Creatures Great and Small books, written by the veterinary surgeon Jame Herriot, there was a case about a very ill dog that always stood out to me. I can't remember the dogs problem, other than it was in pain and Herriot had gotten to a point were there was nothing he could to treat the dog. It really was time to put the dog down to end it's pain. Instead, Herriot talked with the owner, and they agreed to sedate the dog to allow it to sleep. Herriot drugged the talk so that it slept for a day or two and when he returned to check on the dog it had recovered. The simple act of allowing the dog to sleep and hide it's pain allowed the body to recover. Without sleep and a small bit of time to heal the dog was going to die. Herriot figured he would have to put the dog down when he returned to check on it but the dog had recovered by simply sleeping.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:43   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesti View Post

Alcohol is not a solution
What if you add your favorite mixer and give it a stir?
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:26   #56
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
pelagic..i have always felt best a t sea. there is something magical about our oceans that increases vitality and strength, aside from the oopsies we experience as novices in her strong arms.
So true Zee.
I spent 30 years on board, travelling the world and took my health for granted.
Then in the last 18 years, occasional voyages but mostly land based getting sucked into a world of false securities and overindulgences, that diminished both my instincts and independence.

Now rid of all the shore trappings and pushing my body back into shape, it just feels painfully right.

I agree with others that pain is a mindset and if the Sea is my placebo... I'm jumping in willingly! [emoji229]

Thanks again for your advice and encouragement, you truly are an inspiration.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 13:29   #57
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
What if you add your favorite mixer and give it a stir?
Well then it’s a drink
Old 11-01-2019, 06:33   #58

Watch out for the low carb diets, which typically means you are eating tons of protein. You can easily end up with gouty arthritis, which TOTALLY sucks.
Look in to Kratom. Its from a plant that I've only heard good things about for pain. Also Tramadol is non narcotic and gets rid of pain. You might want to try smoking pot too.
SaltyJimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:16   #59

Boat: Etincelle, Catamaran/60'

You are in the right direction realizing that food plays a huge part in your health. For me, three months on a raw food plant based diet and the majority of my pain was gone. Lower back pain took almost a year and it has been about 5 years now pain free. Research food. Learn about foods that cause inflammation in the body and foods that are anti-inflammatory and let them be your guide to what you should be eating. I ate a raw food diet for three years before I decided to give in to being a little more social and switched to more cooked foods. I don't feel near as healthy and have gained a little weight back, but not the pain. Raw food is definitely the healthiest diet, but also the most difficult to stay on.
kgarlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:26   #60

I have many friends (my wife included) who take CBD oil daily, for pain and they claim they work! They also have CBD oil for pets, my brother says his dog reacts well to them, no limping and more energy. It may be worth a try.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote