Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 03:31   #1

Living on legal Mooring while holding a job?

Hi, Is anyone out here living aboard on a legal mooring near a marina and holding a job for income? I would probably do a transit in the marina once a week to do laundry, hot shower, and ..... Is it unrealistic to take this lifestyle? I have a small budget in the kitty of 400 a month, and would like to add maybe another 800 or so for a fairly comfortable living while mooring. I will be on a 28 foot vessel and it is set up for this arrangement.... small portable generator, battery bank, heat.... Planing to purchase in late May and move aboard. I lived aboard a 27' Nor'Sea for three years, but in a Marina. Any ideas or sharing of experience would be greatly appreciated. Mike
Coconut711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Living on legal Mooring while holding a job?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have lived for long stretches both on an anchor and a mooring. It's very common in lots of coastal towns. The big question is whether there's facilities ashore within easy reach, or a legal place to park a car. It certainly is a cheaper option than renting apartments ashore.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:07   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut711 View Post
............. I would probably do a transit in the marina once a week to do laundry, hot shower, and .....
Mike, does this mean that you would not be going ashore daily for employment? .....'working online?

If you are ashore each day for work, you might find that the car is not a necessity. We spent 15 years without a car and managed with folding bikes and public transportation. Much of your question depends upon where you are for shore opportunities and weather protection.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:11   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If you need to travel into work every day, It's just easier to be in a slip. Where I am it was not much more expensive than just regular slip fees. We paid an additional "liveaboard fee" of $125 per person for the season. Not much of an expense really for the access to the showers, parking and other facilities. you may find dinghying back and forth on a daily basis in all weather gets a bit tiring after a while.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:32   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I think that the biggest issue connected with this is your dress code at work/where to keep your work clothes, plus showers. Since if you work in a high dollar law office, where $1,000 suits are the norm, then living on a mooring will be more of a challenge than if you work somewhere where the dress code's pretty casual. As commuting in the dink while in suit & tie sucks, if it's even at all practical.

But if you have easy access to shower facilities ashore, & a reasonable sized clothes locker on land, then it works fine.
When I was Navy, I kept about 1/2 of my uniforms "at work", on the ship. Where of course there were showers, etc. Which made it quite easy to liveaboard, & still easily meet the dress code.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:52   #7

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
I have a small budget in the kitty of 400 a month and would like to add maybe another 800 or so for a fairly comfortable living while mooring
I'm thinking he's not working at the "$1000 suit" place

From what I've seen around NE Florida it's access to a secure place to put the dinghy on shore while you're at work that is the hardest thing to overcome. I live aboard (but at a slip) and use bus/uber vs owning a car, so that's not that difficult to overcome. There are two guys anchored out just outside of the marina I'm at. I'm not sure where they are getting shore access to get to land (if they work, they're one step above homeless so not sure employment is a regular thing).
Old 06-04-2017, 07:59   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You'll need to formulate a plan for Winter. And I don't just mean regarding keeping warm. But in that when storms roll in, things get pretty dang bouncy onboard. And at times it's all but impossible to jump in the dink to go ashore, owing to wind & waves. Even in "benign" places like SoCal.
Which, during such months it really, really helps to either live in a marina, or rent a flat or room, etc.

Also, during said season(s) filling up one's water tanks can be challenging. As can emptying holding tanks via a pump out station. Since your life's ruled by the weather.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:02   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Living on legal Mooring while holding a job?

I've done this in the UK and Med.. just need a secure place to leave your dinghy.. I came to an arrangement with the folks renting the mooring or a convenient marina near to bus routes.
That's the biggest problem.. dinghy security.. the rest is manageable.. showers I'd take at the public pool/beach after a swim.. work clothes in a locker at work etc.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:12   #10

Yes, you all have good advice. The dingy thing could cause a daily issue in inclement weather. Thanks... I ran into some financial issues and am just brainstorming trying to see how prudent & frugal I can reasonably be financially. All great advice and things to consider. Not sure yet where I will keep the little vessel, but considering Fla. ~ St. Pete, Jacksonville, or panhandle area, or possibly even San Francisco Ca area. I am still searching both mooring, marina, and job markets in different areas. It is a challange starting over especially at 56. But, I will see it through. I had my own business for over 23 years, and the divorce thing about did me in. That was 5 years ago, and I am now getting back on my feet slowly. Thanks and I am always open to ideas and advice. Mike
Old 06-04-2017, 08:14   #11

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut711 View Post
Hi, Is anyone out here living aboard on a legal mooring near a marina and holding a job for income? I would probably do a transit in the marina once a week to do laundry, hot shower, and ..... Is it unrealistic to take this lifestyle? I have a small budget in the kitty of 400 a month, and would like to add maybe another 800 or so for a fairly comfortable living while mooring. I will be on a 28 foot vessel and it is set up for this arrangement.... small portable generator, battery bank, heat.... Planing to purchase in late May and move aboard. I lived aboard a 27' Nor'Sea for three years, but in a Marina. Any ideas or sharing of experience would be greatly appreciated. Mike
Without knowing where you are working and where you plan to keep the boat any answer to your question is meaningless. There are places where it is quite common for folks to live on a boat at a mooring and work on land; and there are places where it would be difficult if not impossible to do so.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:41   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

from 1990 to 2005 i worked as intensive care nurse and emergency nurse whil eliving on a moooring. aintno big deal. i even was part of calis ems first responder team. go figger---- i was given 1/4 of lost angeles to triage in case iof disaster-- rodney kings party meant i stayed in hospital for 5 days and nights on the clock.. wooohooo... life is awesome, and you are in control of your own being.
donot make it more intense than it already is...is an easy living lifestyle. all is done by YOU and your own self.
work, play, shop, LIVE all possible from mooring, anchor, whatever.
row, paddle, zoom to shore to do the tasks required for living--work--hellyeah. if i could be presentable from mooring into work, then anyone can. aint a big deal.
figure out where to lock your dinghy for safty an go fir it., is all on your own self whether you make money or laze off. is your life--live it.
nothing holding you back from anything.
i found moorings and anchorages much more wholesome than marina life. not as many folks on top of each other. so ye gotta row to get water--is not a big deal.
i worked with a nursing supervisor who also did what i did--is interesting who tou encounter when you open eyes and look..is also good for your soul to do all for and by yourself.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:45   #13

Opinions wanted ! I have the option of putting the boat where I want right now due to my circumstances. If you could choose mooring or marina in the states.... what/where would you put your vessel and why? I am leaning towards St. Pete Fla., Jacksonville Fla., and San Francisco. The job market seems to be better in San Francisco not to mention the weather from what I have seen in research. Any comments? Thanks again....
Old 06-04-2017, 08:55   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Since you're trying to save money due to financial difficulties, location should be the #1 factor. You're comparing San Francisco and Florida - those are very different places, and I would rule out SF due to cost of living. Pull up a cost of living (COL) calculator and compare the cities you're thinking of: Cost of Living Calculator - Cost of Living Comparison Index Tool

SF is about 78% more expensive than Jacksonville according to that calculator. That's in large part due to housing cost, which you wouldn't have, but mooring balls probably cost more there (if you can even get one). The COL is still higher even disregarding housing, due to higher food costs, etc. Jobs may be better but do you think you can make 50-80% more, after factoring in your commute costs (if any)?

There are a lot of California cities with lower COL than SF that still have jobs, and mooring balls. Can you consider other countries? If you can, that quite possibly could easily solve the budget question (much lower COL in Mexico, Thailand, etc) and weather dilemma (pick somewhere where it doesn't rain too much).
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:00   #15

Boat: CAL 34-1, 1970

My wife and I lived aboard for a few years in Canada. When we filled out census information we were told that live-aboards are considered 'homeles' LOL.

We live-aboard only in wintertime now. there are a large number of working live-aboards in South Florida. Those on a City of Marathon mooring at Boot Cay Harbour use the showers and "I think" some of them rent lockers in the Marina HQ. They get a pump out every week, just like us transient cruisers.
They are usually oversubscribed, with long waits to have S mooring assigned.
There are many, many canal homes in FL that rent their docks out, and while won't allow 'live-aboards', many others DO, even lroviding shore power and a parking place.
Your first stop should be Craig's List.
You may be surprised. Example : up to 45 footer, parking, laundry, water included, power extra..... And a pool!
The price then (last year) was 800 per month. Not bad for Key Largo.

Many Florida communities seem to despise live-aboards' - probably because we pay no property taxes to them. If you just anchor out, you should expect a certain amount of hassling.

I recently read that Riviera Beach was found 'in the wrong' in the Supreme Court, for violation of a live-a boards property rights. The show goes on.

You need to do some extensive research before picking the community OR be prepared to take your floating home to friendlier places if they harass you too much.

This answer is way too long, already, so - good luck with this. It's a good idea.
etterridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal, mooring