Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 16:09   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Living on legal Mooring while holding a job?

Coconut711, Jaacksonville has been my homeport for 45 years despite leaving for long periods of time, we have always at least passed through for visits with family.

After retirement we did spend some time living aboard for a couple months at a time and paying a marina $50/month for access to their amenities, but that opportunity has "dried up".

You can likely find a liveaboard slip for a 27' boat for no more than about $300/month in Jacksonville, but I don't think you'll find an opportunity to anchor out with dinghy access and car parking.
Old 06-04-2017, 16:57   #32
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
You can likely find a liveaboard slip for a 27' boat for no more than about $300/month in Jacksonville, but I don't think you'll find an opportunity to anchor out with dinghy access and car parking.
Where can you get a slip for $300 in Jacksonville?
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 17:09   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

You have a tough row to hoe.
I sincerely wish you all the best.
Old 06-04-2017, 17:50   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
Where can you get a slip for $300 in Jacksonville?
I know that you realize this is related to LOA, so the question is for a 27' boat. I simply took the lower rates that I was familiar with in Jacksonville at $11/foot/month and multiplied by 27.

These rates have been found in Trout River, Fleming Island Marina and a couple of the least expensive places in the Ortega River.

It's likely these rates are up to ca $11.50/month/foot now. I can't say that I've kept track with all of them.
Old 06-04-2017, 19:02   #35

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Weather in SF Bay area not always great. I am aboard now, raining, sometimes hard, wind gusting to 30 according to the radio. Boat is rocking 7 degrees to starboard in gusts. Could be worse but the dinghy ride might be a problem. Maybe a tent and sleeping bag for the times when the dingy ride might do you in.

don't believe every thing you think
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 19:46   #36

Boat: Cornado 25

Boot Key Harbor Marathon Fl...
Mooring $324/month plus state tax
Includes Dinghy dockage, parking place, bike racks, project room, showers, wifi etc...
Flat rate up to 45' a few moorings up to 60'
Canal wall tie up or floating docks (very limited) 14.50 to 19.50 per ft per month. Upcharge for 30 or 50 amp power. Insurance required.
Both moorings and canal include free weekly pumpout. Boats come to you on the mooring.
Full time live aboards only. No wet storage.

Job market...
Lots of service industry work in the winter season. Not so much in the summer. Typical wages and tips.
Retail at Walgreen, Home Depot, Publix, Win Dixie etc.
Trades work available as long as you don't develop "Keys Disease"
Check https://keys.craigslist.org/ jobs for more perspective

Dinghy ride can be a bit sporty on a day when the winds in the harbor are running 25-30 from the NE. Just sloppy with a bit of care. Good docks. Local taxi $5.00 bridge to bridge or bike it (no hills).

60% long term live aboards are on the moorings and commute to work. Probably 20% of the snowbirds pick up side jobs while they are here.

Don't come here... it's an awful place
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boot-key.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	144860  
Old 06-04-2017, 19:59   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I'm thinking he's not working at the "$1000 suit" place

From what I've seen around NE Florida it's access to a secure place to put the dinghy on shore while you're at work that is the hardest thing to overcome. I live aboard (but at a slip) and use bus/uber vs owning a car, so that's not that difficult to overcome. There are two guys anchored out just outside of the marina I'm at. I'm not sure where they are getting shore access to get to land (if they work, they're one step above homeless so not sure employment is a regular thing).
Thank you.... Are you in the Jacksonville Fla. area? I am looking at that area as a possible berthing place.
Coconut711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 20:39   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Where and what type of employment?
Not sure yet.... I operated my own landscape biss. for 23 years. I have experience also in retail sales, research, and grocery. Open to all possible employment. Any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2017, 20:53   #39

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut711 View Post
Not sure yet.... I operated my own landscape biss. for 23 years. I have experience also in retail sales, research, and grocery. Open to all possible employment. Any suggestions?
It sounds as if you may be a great hire for Walmart or Target or similar if nothing in your background is disqualifying. Depending upon what you mean by "research" there could be more lucrative opportunities. My own guess (and it is only that) is Jacksonville would probably be a better fit for living, and unless there are negatives, employment opportunities for you should be good in either location, with a tilt toward Jacksonville because it may be more easy going than San Francisco and environs. I wish you well whatever you decide.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:08   #40

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Thank you.... Are you in the Jacksonville Fla. area? I am looking at that area as a possible berthing place.
Yes moved here about 2 years ago for a job. Feel free to pm or email me if you want my impression of Jacksonville.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:48   #41

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Yes, you all have good advice. The dingy thing could cause a daily issue in inclement weather. Thanks... I ran into some financial issues and am just brainstorming trying to see how prudent & frugal I can reasonably be financially. All great advice and things to consider. Not sure yet where I will keep the little vessel, but considering Fla. ~ St. Pete, Jacksonville, or panhandle area, or possibly even San Francisco Ca area. I am still searching both mooring, marina, and job markets in different areas. It is a challange starting over especially at 56. But, I will see it through. I had my own business for over 23 years, and the divorce thing about did me in. That was 5 years ago, and I am now getting back on my feet slowly. Thanks and I am always open to ideas and advice. Mike
Your initial question was a bit vague and it was not clear exactly what you were asking.

As far as the physical logistics are concerned, that's going to be a function of where you are, the features of your boat, the kind of work you do, etc. Hard to offer sound advice without more particulars.

It goes without saying that being in a slip simplifies matters considerably. You don't have to worry about power, you can shower easily every day, laundry, groceries, food, etc are much easier to manage. Weather is much less of an issue.

Living on a mooring requires you to deal with a two basic challenges; power generation, and getting stuff (including yourself) back and forth to the boat in sometimes inclement weather. Your job schedule and requirements may or may not complicate those challenges.

Another thing to consider is residency and having a "permanent" address. You can get a P.O. box, but that won't serve as "permanent" address. Some marinas have mailboxes and addresses that qualify, some don't. If you're a FL resident, you can use a mail forwarding service and they are pretty reasonable but at your budget it's going to be money going out that you'd probably prefer spending elsewhere. If you have a friend who's willing to serve as your "permanent" address that is often the best course. Just be sure to take some time to figure that out in advance as it can foul up stuff like employment applications, banking, etc.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:08   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Your initial question was a bit vague and it was not clear exactly what you were asking.

As far as the physical logistics are concerned, that's going to be a function of where you are, the features of your boat, the kind of work you do, etc. Hard to offer sound advice without more particulars.

It goes without saying that being in a slip simplifies matters considerably. You don't have to worry about power, you can shower easily every day, laundry, groceries, food, etc are much easier to manage. Weather is much less of an issue.

Living on a mooring requires you to deal with a two basic challenges; power generation, and getting stuff (including yourself) back and forth to the boat in sometimes inclement weather. Your job schedule and requirements may or may not complicate those challenges.

Another thing to consider is residency and having a "permanent" address. You can get a P.O. box, but that won't serve as "permanent" address. Some marinas have mailboxes and addresses that qualify, some don't. If you're a FL resident, you can use a mail forwarding service and they are pretty reasonable but at your budget it's going to be money going out that you'd probably prefer spending elsewhere. If you have a friend who's willing to serve as your "permanent" address that is often the best course. Just be sure to take some time to figure that out in advance as it can foul up stuff like employment applications, banking, etc.
Thank you for the good info and reply.... I appreciate your help.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:03   #43

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30

I've been living aboard various vessels, from a C-22 Chrysler,to a 40ft Pearson, all on the hook. At present, I have a 1972 Allied Chance 30-30, 30'-9",which I'm gradually refitting. I started in Key West, which was fantastic, till my work dryed up. The biggest challenge was where to leave the dinghy. In the harbor, it was $12 A day to tie up. That's on the East side,which was a bit like the wild west. Every man for himself, and your quite aways from the dock,with no amenities. The other option was the city mooring field in Garrison bight. I believe they charged $300 A month,maybe $350,but there was a gated dock,and full amenities. Of course the gated dock was minimum security. After leaving Key West, I went to Davis Island, Tampa. The only thing I can say positive about that is,there was a dock,and everyone there sort of watched out for everyone else. It's kinda like a floating trailer park with vessels in every state of repair. Some nice boats, some derelicts,rather more of the latter. I eventually left there because the city,with the prompting of the Davis Island yacht club (don't get me started),has started harassing the people on the hook there. Only draw back,other than the previously stated is a vehicle,is an absolute necessity. Since I'm not appreciative of constantly finding stickers on my boat, threatening to tow her away,I've moved to a secluded harbor with access to the beach near a major highway, where I park on the beach,which is regularly patrolled by the police. First night I was there,some kids painted my windows (figure that's karma,for a misspent youth),and had one dinghy stolen. It was just tied to the mangroves,and not a difficult caper. I've since taken steps to prevent the theft of my new dink,but any enterprising thief, with a pair of bolt cutters,could subvert my efforts. There is no dock,so you have to figure away to secure your dink,after wading to shore. No big deal in summer, but a bit chilly on the toes in winter. A good pair of rubber boots helps, and the mild winters,here in Central Florida, I think I wore them 8/10 times. If I had to point to the biggest challenge, it's getting back and forth to my vessel during severe weather. I row. Can't stand outboards. It's quite the experience rowing a 7.5 ft fiberglass dinghy,in a 30 mph wind. That can be avoided by stocking plenty of provisions, and a carton of smokes. I suppose my point is,it's doable, depending on your comfort level,physical ability and sense of adventure. Personally, I grew up a cowboy, and the word crazy, has come up more than once,in conversations pertaining to me. Good luck.
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:55   #44

Hello everyone ~ I would like to thank everyone here who took the time to help me with your responses. I appreciate all the good information. I have decided that I will not go out on a mooring and will take the conveniences of a Marina. I am 56 years of age and had some pretty serious injuries in my life. So, after reviewing all the replies and allowing it all to soak in I know this will be the best choice for me. You all are great. Thank you and enjoy your life on the water! Regards Mike
Old 08-04-2017, 07:44   #45

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30

Probably a good choice. I was blessed with a 4 wheel drive body. I'll keep doing it my way,because I can. Thanks Pop!
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal, mooring