Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 22:46   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Living Off-Grid Much Similar to Live-aboard?

Welcome to CF....As others have said, your off grid skills and attitude will transform easily to cruising.

However, compared to the mostly static world of 20 acres, your cruising world will be very dynamic and variable, as your small resource interacts with many different cultures and attitudes, to challenge you in many social ways.

This is where networking with forums like this to update changing security conditions and regulations, will help a great deal, in transiting between grids.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:49   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Westward is going with the flow.
You wouldn't drive the wrong way on a freeway...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 23:00   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Let me say a few words about going east about.

If you are young, under 60--although this is quite arbitrary--maybe. It is far more fatiguing to be hard on the wind day after day than you can imagine without ocean experience of doing it. [This comes from doing about 6500 to windward in 3-4 months, when I was under 50.] It is not that it cannot be done, because people do, but if you are approaching your later years, take a good, hard look at it before you set that goal firmly.

Additionally, I'll give a nod to DumnnMad's post, that such a choice really should affect your choice of vessel for the trip. Not all boats are created equal, and they deteriorate.

Ann
Old 02-11-2015, 23:57   #19

pirate Re: Living Off-Grid Much Similar to Live-aboard?

thanks again for all the replies.

regarding Eastward rtw... NOT set in stone, merely thinking on it, it appeals for many strange and incongruous reasons.
THat said I figured tooling around the Caribbean for a season or 3 would give me a better idea of what I'd be up for, realistically. I don't have a death-wish nor am I masochist. The Idea is for the fun of it!

that is why I was asking for your input, I'm aware of the trades of course that make westward travel so appealing, just looking for your collective wisdom on the subject in general.

so fear not, I won't go off half-cocked, shooting from the hip so to speak.

your advice is very valuable to me,

many thanks!!!!

Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 14:46   #20

Boat: Floating Home pending

I presently live off grid in a strawbale home on solar, on 4 acres, orchard and lots of maintenance in La Grange Ca. Near Yosemite. It is beautiful but tired of all the yard work.I have never lived on a boat. Thinking about selling and purchasing a Floating home. I love the delta and the warm weather. Do they have places in the delta that you can permanently dock. With, sewer, electric and water. Right now each winter I take my land yauth to Arizona for the winter. I hate the cold and all the rain. What should I be looking for in a floating home. This will be my retirement home base.
Old 21-04-2016, 15:26   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

A "floating home" might be somewhat different than living aboard a "boat'. I can't speak with authority about "floating homes" as they seem to be more of a US West Coast (more often Seattle area) phenomenon. We have some "houseboats" on the US East Coast that have some marginal mobility, but I believe that the floating homes are not expected to be able to move on their own power.

It's not my place or purpose to speak poorly of floating homes, but they are not boats and living on one would not be living aboard a boat.