Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2014, 17:34   #1

Living aboard, my heating appliances so far

I have a 40 something foot power cruiser that I moved aboard about half a year ago. I have been living on boats for quite awhile now, and this one I am probably going to keep. Keeping past experience in mind, I decided to set the boat up as a live aboard primarily and a cruiser second. By this I mean I have no intention of getting a refrigerator that runs on 12v. Every thing will be 110v, no special boat stuff.

This is nice considering I'm also fairly poor. My biggest purchase and concern was heating. In this regard I purchased a portable air conditioner / heat pump. This device worked great. Not only does it heat and cool, it dehumidifies. It needs to vent two hoses to the outside and I simply used the window kit that came with the unit to mount them in my double sliding door. Easy and effective !

I didn't mount the unit firm, the intent being come winter or travelling I can move it and secure it somewhere else. The cost was about $700 and it produces about 14k btu heating and cooling while consuming 1000 watts. This is nice since I only have 15 amp service. Here's a link.

Amazon.com - Soleus Air PH3-12R-03, Portable Air Conditioner/Heater/Dehumidifier/Fan, 12, 000 BTUs - Portable Ac Heater

That one is a little less powerful than mine, but has a programmable timer, which is a nice feature.

The bad,

It peed all over the floor. The unit would fill it's internal water reservoir in a couple of days. I got smart and ran a hose from the back into the bilge. Unfortunately this hose got loose and water drained all over the floor. So now it's out of commission until I find a better solution for it. Additionally my understanding is that heat pumps such as the one I have don't work effectively below 40 degrees (f). So winter has a different heating solution.

The boat originally had an espar heater and looking into it's replacement was about a $4000 price tag. I like the espar, it's out of the way and was already plumbed in. The airtronic D5, the largest model puts out 16.4k btu on high. I wasn't sure this was quite enough for winter. I looked at oil stoves, a reliable solution on every commercial vessel here, however I had no place to install one in a pleasure boat without messing up the interior. Those are rated at 16.2k btus.

My solution ended up being a toyostove. About the same price as a diesel stove, much less than the espar, and putting out 22k btu.

https://www.toyotomiusa.com/factoryO...product_id=157

Little different than the model I got, but about the same size. Not a great heater for a boat, but mine is a Live Aboard. Living aboard comes first, cruising second. It may be a pain to disconnect or plug the vent hole when I want to go somewhere, but price, practicality, and comfort are what are important to me now. This unit is timer programmable so I can set it low for the night or while I am gone. That's real nice.

However it's not installed yet, in a large part to the leak that wants to drip right where it's going to be placed. Well that's 2 boat projects in one I guess. So for the interim with the toyostove in it's box and my heat pump just sitting doing nothing, I purchased a non vented kerosene heater for the chilly nights. It's quite the unit and at 10k btu really puts out the heat. But I don't feel so great about having a non vented heat source that works by combustion. But hey, when it gets real cold this winter I might have it and the toyostove going !

So as I sit here writing this I can hear my two little electric heaters buzzing away. One in the fo'csle on low and one next to me on low. I can't do one low one high, it'll trip the breaker 300 feet away from me ! So that's not insulation which will come later, but my heating solutions. I figured with winter approaching perhaps someone might have an interest in this or an idea I could use.

Stay warm !
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 17:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Living aboard, my heating appliances so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert644 View Post
I have a 40 something foot power cruiser that I moved aboard about half a year ago. I have been living on boats for quite awhile now, and this one I am probably going to keep. Keeping past experience in mind, I decided to set the boat up as a live aboard primarily and a cruiser second. By this I mean I have no intention of getting a refrigerator that runs on 12v. Every thing will be 110v, no special boat stuff.

This is nice considering I'm also fairly poor. My biggest purchase and concern was heating. In this regard I purchased a portable air conditioner / heat pump. This device worked great. Not only does it heat and cool, it dehumidifies. It needs to vent two hoses to the outside and I simply used the window kit that came with the unit to mount them in my double sliding door. Easy and effective !

I didn't mount the unit firm, the intent being come winter or travelling I can move it and secure it somewhere else. The cost was about $700 and it produces about 14k btu heating and cooling while consuming 1000 watts. This is nice since I only have 15 amp service. Here's a link.

Amazon.com - Soleus Air PH3-12R-03, Portable Air Conditioner/Heater/Dehumidifier/Fan, 12, 000 BTUs - Portable Ac Heater

That one is a little less powerful than mine, but has a programmable timer, which is a nice feature.

The bad,

It peed all over the floor. The unit would fill it's internal water reservoir in a couple of days. I got smart and ran a hose from the back into the bilge. Unfortunately this hose got loose and water drained all over the floor. So now it's out of commission until I find a better solution for it. Additionally my understanding is that heat pumps such as the one I have don't work effectively below 40 degrees (f). So winter has a different heating solution.

The boat originally had an espar heater and looking into it's replacement was about a $4000 price tag. I like the espar, it's out of the way and was already plumbed in. The airtronic D5, the largest model puts out 16.4k btu on high. I wasn't sure this was quite enough for winter. I looked at oil stoves, a reliable solution on every commercial vessel here, however I had no place to install one in a pleasure boat without messing up the interior. Those are rated at 16.2k btus.

My solution ended up being a toyostove. About the same price as a diesel stove, much less than the espar, and putting out 22k btu.

Little different than the model I got, but about the same size. Not a great heater for a boat, but mine is a Live Aboard. Living aboard comes first, cruising second. It may be a pain to disconnect or plug the vent hole when I want to go somewhere, but price, practicality, and comfort are what are important to me now. This unit is timer programmable so I can set it low for the night or while I am gone. That's real nice.

However it's not installed yet, in a large part to the leak that wants to drip right where it's going to be placed. Well that's 2 boat projects in one I guess. So for the interim with the toyostove in it's box and my heat pump just sitting doing nothing, I purchased a non vented kerosene heater for the chilly nights. It's quite the unit and at 10k btu really puts out the heat. But I don't feel so great about having a non vented heat source that works by combustion. But hey, when it gets real cold this winter I might have it and the toyostove going !

So as I sit here writing this I can hear my two little electric heaters buzzing away. One in the fo'csle on low and one next to me on low. I can't do one low one high, it'll trip the breaker 300 feet away from me ! So that's not insulation which will come later, but my heating solutions. I figured with winter approaching perhaps someone might have an interest in this or an idea I could use.

Stay warm !
soundslike a plan but you really don't want to run an unvented kero stove inside the fumes can seriously ruin your day..........like waking up dead
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 18:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

When you priced the Espar replacement did you check at a marine outlet or a trucking outlet. I understand there is a big difference in price.

I just checked a D5 heater installed in a truck here in Winnipeg is $1,575.00 Can. dollars.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 19:10   #4

I understand about the price difference, however part of the reason I went with the toyo was the increase in btu output. The D5 actually is rated 18.8 k btu on boost, but I don't know if it is supposed to hold up under that load. I also felt the toyo was a much more robust unit for living purposes. The espar is this tiny little thing, whereas the toyo is much larger and I felt that it is probably more durable.

I looked at a couple other espars as well. There is a D8 model which produces even more heat, but I don't see it offered for sale at many places. I also looked at hydronic heating through espar. When I priced out the smallest hydronic model the cost was over $10,000.

You know as I do that installing these things is more than the price of just the unit itself. I feel that the toyo is the best choice for my situation. That said my situation is a powerboat with a large salon. I pretty certain that putting something the size of a toyostove or even a portable heat pump unit in a sailboat won't work.

Originally I was going to buy a sailboat, but when my current boat showed up at market and the right price I had to think about it and realize that I needed to put livability first. Or I should say that's what I wanted to put first.

I considered installing two espars, perhaps D4 models, but I really just tried to stick with the path of least resistance and the toyo fit that bill I felt.
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 17:53   #5

I'm working through the same problems as you, had a cold winter last year. I had 30 amps in my sailboat, but with a bubbler going, I just couldn't get the heat I needed. I am putting in a solid fuel stove. Seems like the cheapest option to me by far. Propane- I wasn't interested in because propane is a pain and it likes to blow up. I've seen a couple of diesel units that appeal to me, but the price is ridiculous. We'll see how this little coal unit stacks up.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 18:56   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Robert, how is the heater working out for you? Its a nice looking unit.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 15:47   #7

Boat: Cooper 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert644 View Post

The bad,

Stay warm !
Robert,
I have a DeLonghi AC/Heater/dehum. I just took it off the boat today.. The heater ran for about two hours and didn't really give any heat. I vented throw the cowl vent. Problem was that the water tray filled up to quick then shut the unit off..
Have you had this problem? If you have what have you done to fix it?

Sorry, I jumped to conclusions and just read the section on the water tray.. Sorry!!! my bad..

Tags
appliances, heating, living aboard