Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 02:47   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Living Aboard in the Winter

The floor gets quite cold, so we have always found putting down some carpet makes a big difference. Gets some remnants from a carpet shop and cut them to fit wall-to-wall.
Old 28-07-2011, 05:57   #32
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Quote:
NOte to self, don't do this o a day that is gonna get over 80 degrees....
note to 'self' - buy bilge pump, float and install for days over 80

Strato - I used a Mr. Buddy briefly and I concur. However, there are portable 'ice hut' units with an oxygen depletion sensor, about $120, at Northern Freight, including catalytic types.
I cannot tell you what a blessing this was coming south this season when it got cold. I highly recommend them.
I turn it on for a few hours in the evening when I come inside the boat, and turn it off just before bed, when it's nice and toasty. Mornings are a bit chill but it's ok - helps me wake up while I make coffee!
I installed a fan above the unit to move the air around. That made all the difference, warmed the entire boat AND kept the humidity down as well.
Still, if the op has electric and can afford the bill for it, cuz it'll get high in the winter, electric would be the way to go at a dock. Or a combination of electric and propane to keep costs down. Low electric heat in the day while he's away, propane to kick things up when he returns.
My .02 worth...
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 08:34   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when i lived in lost angeles during the el nino storms in winter i only used electic heat--no dehumidifier--wasnt necessary--even with a pos boat like i had for a while-- and keep ports open and hatches--it wont get that cold with heater on. the dehumidifier will heat up and make things hotter in summer--i threw the damnable thing out as it didnt do any good anyway. just hurt my ankles when contacting it. in a small boat, one contacts the unepected frequently. in this nice roomy one i sail now, isnt a big deal-- but then i am in pair-a-dice and is hot here. and humid.
my only problem now is flies and skeeters.....but without those, pair a dice would be utopia.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 08:52   #34

We lived aboard and overwintered 7 years in Annapolis area. Assuming you're at a dock with electric. Look for one of those oil-filled electric heaters that look like old-fashioned radiator. These operate at a lower temp than the smaller ceramic type, minimizing the fire risk, and they're silent. Also cheaper.

Wrapping the boat in plastic for solar greenhouse effect is nice if you can; make sure you have a way to get the snow load off of it. Line lockers, etc with reflectix (the silver bubble-wrap type of insulation), easy to cut and fit with scissors and does a wonderful job. Depending on boat's construction, you might also line the hull sides and cabin top as well. Ventilate lockers as has been suggested previously. Go to an outdoor store and buy a set of Yak-trax (<$20) or other slip-on cleats for walking the icy docks. Make sure there's an escape ladder to get back to the dock near your slip. A hardware-store dehumidifier (~$50) is a good investment. Get some kind of ventilating material under your cushions (we used Defender's "Hyper-Vent" but there may be other options out there, this was several years ago).

There's a wonderful cameraderie (sp?) among the hardy souls who remain aboard when the summer people and weekenders are gone.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 10:04   #35

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

[QUOTE=canucksailor;739537]note to 'self' - buy bilge pump, float and install for days over 80

The over 80 is cause it gets the inside of the boat so hot without any fresh air going into it. But down south I guess you can modify the temp ranges...
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 14:11   #36

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, 25.5'

canucksailor, sounds like you used all the proper precautions. As long as you were awake while operating the unit, I see no problems. I like the idea of a oxygen depletion sensor also. The point I was trying to make is that these types of heaters are not really a good idea for your primary heat source. In other words, if you would be using it while you are sleeping as well as when awake. Even with the oxygen sensor I think that's too dangerous because of the potential for co poisoning. Yes their are co alarms, but personally, I still wouldn't sleep easy.

The way you were using it sounds safe enough though. I'm just surprised to hear that you didn't experience any moisture problems. Is your boat insulated?

stratosailor
stratosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 14:26   #37

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

A good cockpit awning is a must if you don't have a full cover and most of us don't.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	30010
Old 28-07-2011, 15:15   #38

Boat: C&C Newport 41

if you expect to stay in the area long term and are open minded to making a slightly larger investment, you can convert to a diesel store. i have a dickinson which is great when it is cold and tolerable when it it really hot.

things i like about it include reduced risk of blowing up (no propane tanks), good size (and easy to clean) cook top and heating the cook top means the stove is ready too (corn bread or bread or brownies with every meal) and it is really efficient.

things i dont like is it requires an external vent with i find a bit restrictive, it can be a pain to fire up and once it is hot... it is hot (similar to an electric stove top).

would it be too snarky to simply say 'duh! learn to knit (wool socks and mittens)'?
clearly the best advice to surviving the summer is to quit your job and sail to a more conducive climate for a few months. work is, after all, for suckers!

i supplement it with a a propane camper dual burner 2 burner for the times when i dont want to fire up the dickinson (boil water for tea etc).
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 15:55   #39

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

Mine had athe Pacific Diesel from Diskerson when I ought it. I only changed to propane a couple of years ago sinceI was readying for trip south. With 3 1/2 cabins I had a couple of small computer type fans moving air. The whole boat stayed very dry and warm after about 2 hours of teh stove running. I used to prepo the stove using alchohol to get the heat going to help teh diesel burn cleaner at startup. Worked great for me. But then again, I may be a bit of a daredevil at heart... Didn't see any safety issues.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 15:58   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
clearly the best advice to surviving the summer is to quit your job and sail to a more conducive climate for a few months
Like where, Nunavut?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 16:31   #41

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, 25.5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post

...."clearly the best advice to surviving the summer is to quit your job and sail to a more conducive climate for a few months. work is, after all, for suckers!"...
ssanzone, I think you meant "...the best advice to surviving the winter...". I wish it were that simple. Some of us have to work to support our sailing/boating habit. Maybe someday....

stratosailor
stratosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 17:33   #42

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosailor View Post
ssanzone, I think you meant "...the best advice to surviving the winter...". I wish it were that simple. Some of us have to work to support our sailing/boating habit. Maybe someday....
one would think with 3 cups of coffee one would be able to clearly communicate one's thoughts.

the only argument i have is my damn job is distracting me from properly focusing on CF (more justification to act upon my aforementioned plan).
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 17:44   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

absolutely best way to survive winter is what i did--LEAVE FOR SOUTHERN WATERS....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 17:54   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
absolutely best way to survive winter is what i did--LEAVE FOR SOUTHERN WATERS....
My current career seems to desire a commitment that doesn't allow going where I want when I want.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 18:03   #45
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz
Oh, now that I think of it, would it be a good idea to instead of using a fridge inside where it's hot, put your food in some sort of container outside in the winter?
Raccoons love this idea.

Tags
living aboard