Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 16:19   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Living aboard in the keys

It has come to my attention that living aboard in the the Florida keys has become an idea with a some merit. We cur currently own a 32 foot westsail in the NY area and are considering a different livaboard lifeystyle for ourselves and beloved boat Any input as to where to go to store the boat reasonsably priced that has appropriate ameneities and some lifenight would be appreciated. Our boat requieres 5.5 feet of Water
Old 14-04-2014, 17:18   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Living aboard in the keys

If you want some "lifenight", Key West is the place. "Storing" your boat will depend on what you mean by "storing". If on anchor there will be the dinghy dock fee and shower costs. There is also a mooring field run by the city that is pretty nice.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 04:41   #3

Would like to live on the boat in a slip, more interested in natural beauty, solitude and reasonable living expense that key west night life, can always drive if and when I wan to go out .
Old 21-04-2014, 08:12   #4

Boat: Tartan 37c

Good morning... I may have a bit of here. I have lived aboard in various spots throughout Miami and the keys for the last 7 years. The issue you will have id that some of the marina's that are suitable for live aboard are the ones with restricted draft.. Manatee Bay Club comes to mind. Draft restrictions are about 4'6 on average. In Key Largo there a few spots that are good, but you have to drive down to really see them to get a feel of the community... some are very transient, some are very Cuban, some are just neglected and derelict. The one that comes to mind as a possible is Blue Waters. Pilot house is very commercial, Gilberts is too rough. Well, you get the idea. take a few days to come see them in person. Also, Mooring field in Marathon is a good starting point while you get your bearings. Eric Stone's Dockside is now open and great. In Key West, at the top end you might be able to get a good deal on Key Largo Harbor for the off season to try out the lunacy of Key West!... it is a great marina with full amenities but a bit put of town. Good luck! I am leaving to go down on Wednesday to the Keys myself from Norfolk.
etbdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 08:20   #5

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Living aboard in the keys

Nice post. Thanks. Do you go into the mangroves for hurricanes?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 08:35   #6

Boat: Tartan 37c

Thanks Blue Crab.. I actually own two docks at Manatee Bay Club.. great hurricane hole. Draft restricted though.. I have a Tartan 37 cb which is why I can get in.
etbdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 09:11   #7

Thank you for your informative post.

Tags
living aboard