Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 18:03   #16

Boat: Island Trader 37 Ketch
Re: Living aboard in the Baltimore Area

I don't know a thing about watermakers -- we don't have one. But I'm glad you'll have a water heater!
Old 01-11-2017, 18:38   #17

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabbie_ View Post
Hi Terrapin,

The boat I am in the works of acquiring (actually boat-less at the moment) will have a water heater, and I am planning on installing a watermaker if/when I get this boat. Would that setup preclude me from having to use the hose setup you are talking about, or do watermakers not fair too well in freezing temps?

Thanks!
I would never turn on the water maker in Chesapeake Bay, let alone in Baltimore. Unless you are dead set on living on board, I would rather get a house or apartment, and sailing other people's boat. There are too many boats need crews.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 19:55   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We've lived aboard in Baltimore, Annapolis, and Washington, DC... a few things:
yes, you can, we do, and it's fine
--water isn't a problem; every marina has a way to fill tanks in the winter, often by running a 400' hose from the dock office once a week (folks pitch in, share hoses, etc)... another way to meet the neighbors
--Diesel heat is your friend; Webasto or Espar (both great)
--Anchorage in Baltimore is great, as are the Inner Harbour marinas... and there is a great live aboard community all winter....
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 17:11   #19

Boat: Lots of boats.

Its cold in the winter and unless your boat is well insulated, you will generate condensation like crazy. Why not find a cheap place to stay and keep your boat at a cheap marina. I keep my boat at White Rocks. No live aboards, but for just over $100 a month I have a slip with electric and for about 6 months a year, a discount at Mike's Crabhouse while they are open. There are lots of apartments in the area for just over a grand. Or do what I do and live about an hour (or more) away and rent a house for about $800 a month (or buy a cheap house for $80K).
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 18:45   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

I lived aboard in Annapolis for a few years. For heat, since I was paying a flat live-aboard fee that included electric, I primarily used two oil-filled radiators, plugged directly into the dock pylons with heavy duty cords. That kept the boat warm down to about 25-30 degrees. When it got colder the diesel heat would kick in. I'm a huge fan of diesel heat; sips fuel, heats quickly, the heater takes up almost no space. And it works great away from the dock. Has kept my boat warm while traveling in temps down to near zero. My boat is insulated with ensolite below the waterline. Since I was living aboard there I have also insulated the deck and coachroof but that's primarily to keep the boat cooler in the tropics.

As mentioned, marinas that cater to liveaboards have ways of providing water. Where I was there was a submerged, capped hose on each dock. You'd pull it up with a line, attach your own hose, and you were good to go.

One word of caution. Living aboard in winter has it's dangers, primarily icy docks. If you're at a marina with fixed docks and the water blows out of the Bay and it's icy, you're not getting off the boat if you're smart. It's a work from home day lol. Definitely buy a pair of studded crampons for your boots. If you fall in, there is no one around to hear you call for help or offer assistance. Seems a few folks on the Bay die each year from these accidents.

Condensation can be an issue, but not always. If you don't boil pasta or the like or shower on the boat you should be fine, other than condensation around hatches and port lights.

Don't buy a water maker unless you're headed to remote areas where you can't reliably get water. They are expensive and as mentioned you can't use them where the water is not clear and clean.

I would look into Anchorage Marina if for no other reason than the fact it's within walking distance of Bertha's.

Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 01:21   #21

I have a condo 40' slip in Annapolis on Spa Creek. Its zoned for living aboard and can be used as a sole residence with your own private street address and mail box. You can not own waterfront in this town any cheaper. There is a club-house with a couple of large flat screens, a fireplace, bath rooms with showers **and an endless supply of hot water! Fitness room..pool table. All for your use. Also has laundry and two off street parking spots in a private lot...My wife and I lived there on a 50ft motorsailer for years. Send me a PM if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spa Creek Marina.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	159134  
ncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 06:10   #22

I do not understand the responses from some people, in a Liveaboard forum, that say don't live aboard get an apartment.

Come on people this forum is for exchanging information about living aboard! I understand that in some areas it is harder then other areas, but that is why we ask questions!

That being said, I live aboard, in Philadelphia. It is very doable if you work at it. You have three areas you have to address, and they depend on the marina that you stay in.
Heat
Water
Black Water Disposal

Once you master those living aboard in the winter is not much different then the summer.

For heat I like electric heat. On my boat the forward cabin and the aft cabin, AC units, have electric heat built into them. I add two oil filled radiators for the galley and the salon. I also keep a small ceramic heater in the engine room and the boat is good. Make sure your shore power is in good condition. (I also like the Smart Plug, much better than the standard plugs).

I use the 3M shrink film on all of my windows and hatches, and it makes a big difference. No draft, and a poor mans version of a double pane window.

My marina shuts the water off in November. It is to far to try and run hoses from the office. I haul water in a 65 gallon tank, and use a 12V pump to fill the boat. I have learned to live on 65 gallons a week, including showers, if needed I could fill up more often, and my boat hold 140 gallons of water, just in case we have bad weather one week.

For black water, I have installed a Purasan system, no more pump outs. But that may or may not be an option depending on where you are.
spj8864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 09:39   #23

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I found a dodger and a Bimini to be a big help in the winter. It allowed me to get in and out of the salon without letting in too much snow or rain and most often without letting in any.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 15:19   #24

Another vote for Anchorage Marina in Baltimore. Inexpensive and location, location, location!!! Both for your work and social life. Big year round liveaboard population and a friendly crowd. Just motor to the tap once a week to fill your tank.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 04:11   #25

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spj8864 View Post
I do not understand the responses from some people, in a Liveaboard forum, that say don't live aboard get an apartment.

Come on people this forum is for exchanging information about living aboard! I understand that in some areas it is harder then other areas, but that is why we ask questions!

Fair point... but some of the questions often come from folks who just don't have the background to realize there's some work involved. I suspect better to help folks decide their course of action with eyes wide open.

-Chris
Old 11-07-2019, 03:32   #26

I am pursuing this venture. Thank you for the post.
Dorymeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:33   #27

I am interested in more info.
Dorymeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:37   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dorymeli.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, living aboard