Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 18:23   #31

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Why is everything I enjoy is illegal,immoral or fating?
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 22:14   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I should point out the relevant article is on page 10
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 00:44   #33

A very good article you have written Andrew.

I also also noted Bob Norson comment (Coastal Passage)on being aware that "they" may use trick questions to get you to admit to something you may not have done.
A very valid point and one to be noted for all Australians and Visitors. These "goverment people" are NOT our friends anymore, it is all about revenue raising.
A guy I met recently was fined $500.00 because when he swung around at anchor into a restricted zone. No warning no leniency just $500.00 NOW

Don't give away any information you do not have to.

I have found similiar examples in other Gov. departments recently. "They" pretend they are your friend and are there to help you, and then they twist the comments you have made and turn it against you, later.
A very sorry tale of events for our new generation "public servants"
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:09   #34

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by positron View Post
Australia is such a draconian place to live. Under Income Tax Asscement Act of 1997, a vessle/houseboat can be classed as a dwelling, due to CG (capital gains) being able to be collected.

TD 92/158 - Income tax: capital gains: can the following comprise a 'dwelling' and therefore be eligible for exemption as a sole or principal residence (i) a structure built underground? (ii) a yacht? (iii) a tent? (Current for 17 September 1992 to 2

"A yacht may, under certain circumstances, constitute a mobile home or houseboat and therefore, a 'dwelling' for exemption purposes. Provided that the level of facilities is such as to make the yacht habitable, the yacht will be accepted as a 'dwelling'."

As it is legally a 'dwelling', a warrant is required to gain entrance.

MSB enforce acts of parliament, which has the force of law, it is not the law. Common and natural law is the law. Simple word trickery to keep the serfs in order.
This opens up some interesting points I'd like opinions on.

1) I was under the impression any assets you sell that have appreciated in value can be subject to capital gains tax. It's just that real estate is about the only one that goes up, so nothing else gets counted in practice.
2) Your home is exempt, so if you're a permanent livaboard and don't own a home on shore, you should be CGT exempt. Particularly relevant now if you manage to buy a bargain, distressed sale boat, here or overseas, and sell it for much more in a recovered market down the track.
3) Purchase of your home is also GST free. I don't know about new, but it certainly applies to existing homes. So, buying your boat o/s and sailing it here, again with it as your only home... does that make a case for GST exemption when you get here?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 21:13   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
In any event - all of this is moot - MSQ is apparently intent on banning liveaboards at all marinas.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 23:50   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
You are getting confused here positron.
And in the case of marine law in Qld, the criminal statute law is it - there is no common law in the criminal jurisdiction in Queensland, hasn't been since Sir Samuel Griffith wrote the first Criminal Code the century before last. Fully codified criminal law.

But I am not getting your point I suspect.
You are quite right. Queensland is a very different entity compared to other states of Australia. 'STATE OF QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA'*1 is the only Australian state registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission is the USA. Interesting enough, the 'STATE OF QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA' is a guarantor for the 'COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA'*2.

*1 Search Results

*2 Search Results
positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:27   #37

Re: Living Aboard in QLD, Australia

Hi am hoping to become a boatie family and have no idea of any of the rules and regulations and wondered if someone could point me to a site that details the regulations for living aboard.
thanks for your help
scottpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 14:45   #38

it would help to know what part of Australia you hope to live aboard.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 16:54   #39

I am really surprised that Australia is adopting such policies.
Seems the upper class is becoming more wealthy and does not want the "live-aboard" at their marina.
Interesting for cruisers that live-aboards and "do-it-your-selfers" are so maligned.
People have mentioned New Zealand:
I responded to the advertising for New Zealand's marinas and services, and committed to spend time there in 1999. Sailed down from Fiji to Auckland. but, there was zero possibility of living aboard in the downtown marinas. There was space for my vessel, but could not liveaboard
What's with the advertising? I ask. We do want you to dock your vessel here, but you must stay in a hotel. However, Westpark marina - was amenable to live-aboards - bit outside the city. Maybe different now.
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:25   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
it would help to know what part of Australia you hope to live aboard.
Sorry didn't know are there different rules for everywhere? We would primarily be looking at living in Queensland, around Brisbane.

But I did wonder can you just live on board and float free? Do you have to tie up at a marina or such?

thanks
scottpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:31   #41

AFAIK (and I currently liveaboard in queensland and have done so in brisbane and probably heading back there later on in the year) you can pretty much just float free. There are some regulations specifically regarding marine sanitation/toilet systems but not much else AFAIK.

You do not have to tie up to a marina, there are moorings in the brisbane river and people also just anchor there. If you plan on being out in the bay there are some regulations. You can't stay in one sport for more then 2 weeks IIRC and you can't stay in the bay for more then 3 or 6 months out of each year without a permit.

Thats all the ones i know of.
troymclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:22   #42

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 39

Went up the East coast of Australia last year from Melbourne to Cairns and in the small towns in both NSW and QLD it seemed that there were many people living aboard. One lovely spot is Iluka on the Clarence River where there is and anchorage in the bay created for the trawlers. Plus a great little pub. Friends are living aboard at The Yamba Marina across the river. All was good during the floods and I dont think its costing an arm and a leg. Plus its a truly delightful spot. Some rivers are not places I'd leave the boat untended due to the tidal change eg The Crookhaven River. The closer you are to the capital cities and the tourist spots the more restrictive are the anchoring regulations and liveaboard police. Magnetic Island, the northern bay, people plonk there all the cruising season. Dunk and Fitzroy Islands have sheltered anchorages. Hope this is helpful.
Cruzy Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 15:29   #43

Boat: Boro Temptress 10.4 metres .

Hi Cruzy Suzy, would love to hear/read more about your travel up the coast. I am hoping to do the same soon and I'd like to get advice about the best places to stay or avoid from someone who has done it relatively recently. Have you a public blog?
WG :-)
watergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 15:49   #44

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel

[Govt speaking] Why is it so hard to understand, if you live onboard your boat/caravan/rv etc you are an evil person who is trying to get off without paying your fair share of tax and debt. This goes completely against the many thousands of years of work; with regard to religion and many hundreds of years of work; with regard to 'democracy'.

If people were able to choose for themselves how they want to live then this would be a terrible thing as most aspects of centralised government would not be needed.

Yes we had some bad PR a few years back when we steamed in and wiped out the local folk in most 1st world countries, but look at what we've done with the place, its clean(ish), everyone is happy and smiles(except for those who are trapped by debt, systemic abuse and other fun things).

[The silent majority] Don't be naive about any of these rules. They are not there for your benefit.
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 16:10   #45

You should be able to liveaboard right in the downtown area of Brisbane as we lived there (on land) for several years and knew several people who lived on their boat for the summer right on the Brisbane river in the CBD. Great location and access to everything.. Though you will get waves from the constant ferries and every Friday and Saturday night, there are these 2 giant tankers turned into booze cruisers and they are loud and obnoxious.. Other than that, you would love it.. I think they were on a mooring ball and paid very little from memory..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, living aboard