Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2016, 06:47   #16
cruiser

Re: Living aboard in Montenegro~ Mediterranean

If i can stay legally in the Med indefinitely with a non VAT boat, it isn't very difficult to do.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 06:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomea View Post
Wow Kenomac. Thank you.. It sounds magical. Are you a US citizen? I've read that you do and you dont need a Visa, so I dont know what is true. Especially if you're buying a one-way plane ticket. Thank you for the commentary . I'm jealous of your scenery.
I don't know Montenegro specifically but most countries will not allow you in without proof you will eventually leave (assuming you don't get residency).

For someone flying in, it's usually assumed that the exit will be by plane, so the burden is on you to prove you have the means and will be leaving.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 09:02   #18

Boat: Island Packet 320
Send a message via Skype™ to Thomea

Wow Konomac. This is a stunning picture. THANK YOU for the information. Very good details to keep note of there.
Old 14-08-2016, 09:04   #19

What is 'non VAT" ?
Old 14-08-2016, 09:24   #20
cruiser

Quote:
What is 'non VAT" ?
Our's is a US boat where the VAT has not been paid and is not due unless the boat overstays the allowable time period.
Old 14-08-2016, 09:27   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I don't know Montenegro specifically but most countries will not allow you in without proof you will eventually leave (assuming you don't get residency).

For someone flying in, it's usually assumed that the exit will be by plane, so the burden is on you to prove you have the means and will be leaving.
Montenegro allows US citizens in for 90 days without a visa. It's a small country, they will notice if you overstay.
Old 14-08-2016, 14:39   #22

Boat: NAJA, 9 mtr

I concurr with Chuckr. The only country, of the 51 I visted by boat between 2009 and 2013, where I was refused entry because I did not have a Skipper's License was Montenegro. But at the last minute they had a change of heart. Read the whole story on my blog for that visit at: Friday June 15. Croatia: I’m coming | Fleetwoods Circumnavigation
But the short time I "Bar" hopped in Montenegro made a very possitive impression and I think that you'd like it a lot. It is clean, cheap and good people. The country is to the Russians what Coney Island is to the New Yorkers. The 90 day Schengen rule is now strictly enforced because of the refugee problem.
Fleetwoodjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 16:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Montenegro allows US citizens in for 90 days without a visa. It's a small country, they will notice if you overstay.
Maybe, maybe not but try to fly in with a 1 way ticket and no evidence of an onward passage, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't let you in.

I know Montenegro isn't part of the EU but last fall I was flying into Spain on one airline and out on another, and the first airline wouldn't let me on the plane until they had evidence of a flight out of Spain.
Old 14-08-2016, 16:47   #24

Quote:
I'm writting this post anchored 200 meters off Porto Montenegro, Tivat, the most beautiful marina I've ever seen. 200 meters off our port side, the Saudi Prince has his 400ft new yacht moored next to his three smaller yachts, all named the Golden something or rather, just like the way George Foreman named all his kids George.

Summer has perfect weather, the winters are another issue. This bay supposedly receives more rain that anywhere else in Europe. You might want to consider moving down to Southern Sicily or Greece to winter.

We will spend at least a month in Montenegro during each of the next ten years, it's lovely here with very friendly people, most of whom speak English. The food is excellent and unbelievably inexpensive. The country is also outside the EU.
Montenegro
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 20:30   #25

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Hello all~ I hope this is the correct place to post this.

I am considering flying to Montenegro in October to live aboard.

Has anyone here had experience living and/or working aboard in that area of the world?
(Corfu, Italy, Sardinia, Malta, Tunisia, Greece, etc)

I'd love to get my STCW & USCG-6 certifications while I am there too.

I'd love to hear from you details or stories of your experiences in the Mediterranean (ie. Visa issues, best time of the year, best places for sailing certifications, best local restaurants, must-sees, etc)

It's time to officially pull the plug & live an un-tethered life.

~ Much Love
Tunisia is one option. We spent time in 2013, 2014, and 2015 there, leaving our boat there for two years. Normal limit is 6 months for your boat, but with immobilisation, that extends to two years.

As to people, that depends on your country of citizenship, but from what I understand, longer periods are able to be arranged. Port Yasmine rates are around EUR2800 for a 15 metre berth, plus power and water. Good security behind prox-card gates, and security guards patrol during the night.

People are very friendly and welcoming - we made many friends there with the local Muslims, and also a number of ex-pat UK and Europeans. The locals are also generally very tolerant of other religions - they even have Christmas decorations in the shops.

A very significant number of boats go there to re-set their 18mth VAT clock, and a significant number of Europeans leave their boats there (although not as many now as before IS (that's 'Islamic Scum') started to cause issues there). Recommendation from ex-pat locals is to just avoid the tourist areas, and go where the locals go (which we generally did from preference anyway).

Have heard very good things about Montenegro, and also Albania. Turkey is also rating well still, with some feeling the coast further south to be their best Med cruising.

We love Corsica, and also enjoyed Sardinia. Malta is a different thing altogether - wonderful place and very safe - seems to be the yachting centre for that part of the Med at least, with every brand known to man seemingly accessible within a 10 minute walk. The Royal Malta Yacht Club are a very friendly bunch, and the place became our second home while we were there in 2015 and 2016.

Hope that helps.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 21:52   #26

Quote:
Eddi,

Are you close by? We are anchored just off Tivat near the mega yachts.

Ken
I am in Tivat almost every day as I do the jobs in Porto Montenegro.
We live in another bay, the village called Bigova, as mooring is free and it is just 15km from Tivat. My tel. is +38269503154, you may call me and we meet for a drink or two, so I could share all my knowledge of the stay options here.
eddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 23:25   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Maybe, maybe not but try to fly in with a 1 way ticket and no evidence of an onward passage, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't let you in.

I know Montenegro isn't part of the EU but last fall I was flying into Spain on one airline and out on another, and the first airline wouldn't let me on the plane until they had evidence of a flight out of Spain.
My wife flew in just last week on a one way ticket to Montenegro. I picked her up in the capital city Podgorica and we then spent a lovely two days river rafting on the Bosnian border.

Great food, nice people.

Have you ever been here? If not, how would you know their policy?
Old 15-08-2016, 00:26   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Agree with David B on Tunisia as we wintered over there on board for 2 winters in Port Yasmine. Tunisia is a great country with great people and reasonably inexpensive.

However, we sailed Albania twice and while it would be a great place to winter over and we would but they do not have the infrastructure for wintering over and they know it. We participated in a survey the government was conduction on sailing Albania and wintering over there. So they are aware of it and hopefully will create something in Saranda.

We wintered over last year in Kusadasi Turkey and will again this winter. We find it the ultimate city to winter over in. Marina is right downtown and very secure. Great boat yard for repairs. We walk off the boat and in 2 blocks or so we are downtown. It small enough but also large enough and central if you want to travel inland.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 06:12   #29

Quote:
My wife flew in just last week on a one way ticket to Montenegro. I picked her up in the capital city Podgorica and we then spent a lovely two days river rafting on the Bosnian border.

Great food, nice people.

Have you ever been here? If not, how would you know their policy?
My parents owned a travel agency and my wife is a travel agent. The majority of countries won't let you fly in without evidence of onward passage. Sell a one way ticket to someone and they get denied at the airport and you get a nasty response from the client. After that you warn people to check with the officials if they want a one-way ticket.

Maybe Montenegro is different but I would check with the officials before showing up at the airport and not "hope" you get lucky because someone else got in possibly for reasons that don't apply to you.
Old 15-08-2016, 09:34   #30

Wow Fleetwoodjack. Sounds like the harbor folks are paid to give people a hard time. Does anyone on here recommend a good school to get the STCW? Maybe I should work on that before I go abroad

Tags
living aboard, mediterranean