Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2010, 21:44   #31

Boat: Custom Brewer Steel 38', Volant
Live aboat situations

I would second the Blaine idea. About 35% of the boats in the marina are Canadian. The marine is pleasant, fairly economical, facilities are good and there is a respectable live aboard community.
volant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 15:21   #32

Re: Living Aboard in British Columbia

Do people liveaboard on catamarans on Vancouver island?
Is it less common because people have to pay for two slips, let alone trying to find two slips together to buy?
is it less common because they cost way more than your average monohull?
is it less common because it's tough to find a place to build/buy a cat in that region?
It just seems to me if one was to make a boat a home, the layout of a cat would let in more light and seem less confining.

-Matt-
CatAndTonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 15:59   #33

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

While my experience might (is!) a little dated, CatAndTonic, marinas in the area are designed for the monohull market with the only slips available for the multi's being end ties. Some of the slips even if they were double were too small except for only the least beamy cats. Most multi's anchor out as I recall. There were some marvelous little coves up-Island that used to be frequented by cats and tri's but not sure if they are still accessible to indefinite anchor outs anymore. As I recall, the rainfall around the Victoria area was less than half annually than Vancouver. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 15:54   #34

Boat: looking

Matt,
There are a few multihulls in Maple Bay, one fellow owned 2 and was recently trying to sell one of them(project). In the 1960s/70s there were a lot of trimarans around, several used to dock in Powell River, a few around Galiano, etc. . The problem is with the cost/space of mooring in marinas. I've noticed one tri on the island that has been recently put back on the market. It sat for sale at $15k for a couple of years, then re-appeared at $38k, now reduced to $18K.

If the boat is self-sufficient, it'd be nice to live aboard a multihull in our waters, although hauling-out choices are more limited. At a marina you'd have to expect higher rates and some liveaboard marinas don't have a suitable lay-out, but it can & has been done.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 05:22   #35

Boat: Hunter 340

I'm planning to move my boat from Lake Huron and settle in Victoria as a liveaboard. Is West Bay the best option there? Is the marina within walking distance to stores? Any info on liveaboard in the area is greatly appreciated!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 08:32   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

West Bay is a lovely spot. There's a waterside trail that leads downtown. It's a nice walk. I'm not sure what grocery stores are in the neighborhood but I doubt if it's terribly far to one. It is an official liveaboard but people do live aboard at the one right in the harbour - in front of the Empress - and at the fishermans wharf.

West Bay is a tiny bit more exposed to the weather then the other spots but I don't think it's a problem. They don't have a lot of slips though.

There are many marinas of course but most don't officially allow liveaboards although there likely are people living at many of them. The only two official ones I'm aware of in the area are West Bay and Marina Park Marina. They both have pump out facilities on dock which is a big part of what makes them official I think.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 08:35   #37

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
Is West Bay the best option there? Is the marina within walking distance to stores?
It's an option - best depends on a lot of variables. Do you need to be near the "big" city?
Shopping can be found within a couple kilometres, but the nearer shops are up a steep hill.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 12:24   #38

Thanks for the info!
Being near a large city is not a requirement but it might be an easy way to break into the area. I'm thinking work opportunties also. We have 2 vehicles and I would love to sell both so walking or cycling will be our mode of transportation.
Old 24-06-2011, 16:08   #39

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I lived there, but never aboard so can't really speak to that aspect. I did, however work at Work Point, so am reasonably familiar with West Bay. If you have a map handy (or Google map of Esquimalt) I can give you the 50 peso tour. The marina is at the bottom of Head St, where it meets Lyall. It is quite steep up Head to Esquimalt Rd, where there is a Shoppers Drug mart, that sells milk, bread etc and a small mall. A couple blocks behind the Shoppers, on Viewfield, there's a Real Canadian Wholesale Club - owned by Loblaws, kind of like a Costco, but you don't need a membership. About a kilometre west along Esquimalt Rd, there's a Country Grocer, beside the recreation centre, again with a small mall - you could go directly from the marina along Lyall - still uphill, but a lot more gentle than Head St. A little more than a Km to the east, there's a Save-on foods with another small mall, at the corner of Bay and Tyee. There is a recreation path from West Bay along the waterfront to the lift bridge at Johnson St - it is rideable but bikes aren't allowed over most of it. If you stay on the Esquimalt side, you can pick up the Galloping Goose trail which will take you close to the Mayfair Mall and right past Town and Country mall (shopping centres for everything under the sun) about 3-4 Km.

The totally hill-less option might be to take the harbour ferry downtown to James Bay for groceries (Thrifties at Menzies/Simcoe iirc). I don't know if you can take bikes on the little ferries. You can also go downtown that way for general shopping/restaurants.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 00:52   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Living aboard in an unofficial status can be cheaper. You pay for the extras that come with an official liveaboard marina. I lived aboard in Saanich which ws lovely but it was under the radar. The official liveaboard there was the afore-mentioned Marina Park Marina and it would have cost a couple of hundred more but there would have been some bonuses - not the least of which is community.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 22:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChow
Hello, I'm very interested in living aboard, have been for most of my life. I'm still a about a year away from it but I can't stop thinking ahead. :-) I have around 100K dedicated for this so far.

It's my understanding the marina situation in Greater Vancouver for liveaboards is pretty bleak. Unless you feel like waiting anywhere from now -> eternity.

I'm wondering what the situation is like in other areas. Relocating is an option for me, my only real requirement is it has to be within commuting distance of civilization so I can pursue employment. I'm plumbing apprentice and once finished I should be able to find work just about anywhere near it.

I'm guessing somewhere on the Island is the only real option. But I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the Sunshine Coast, or Bowen Island, or any place really.
On the Fraser river 15 mins from Vancouver is Shelter island marina, Richmond. Legal livaboard good facilities often have space available. Cheaper than False creek marinas. Livaboard is great but not for everyone. If you havnt lived aboard you should visit someone maybe even spend a few days and nights to try it out. Let me know if u want a peek. Good luck
gunboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:35   #42

I have looked at many web sites for marinas on Vancouver Is. and Gulf Is. with the intention of liveaboard. So far, there are not enough photos or information on most. Looks like I may have to fly out and look around!
Old 15-09-2011, 14:12   #43

The rules are getting worse, and the customer service and dock maintenance are poor at Shelter Island when you compare other marinas. And they squeeze boats in so tight that you have to wait for calm conditions (wind and current) to get in or out. Also, Lafarge spews out cement which eats away at varnish and aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Much depends on how reliant you'd be on terra firma & it's amenities. You could go as rural as living on the hook in somewhere like Montague harbour for the off-season, or plug in at Shelter Island Marina(East Richmond) with hot showers, laundry facilities, high-speed internet, telephone & t.v. cable, etc. . Of course, if Shelter Island, you've got a couple of hours+ travel from Sandheads, an initial $200 for utilities connection, + liveaboard "license" fee, + a few more fees. You also must have a holding tank, $1,000,000 in liability insurance, a six month or 12 month advance moorage payment...and the rules carry on. There are other smaller liveaboard marinas along the Fraser River; a couple of good ones & a few dives. We quietly, "unofficially", lived at Sewell's in Horseshoe Bay for a few years, but the winds from Squamish become brutal come November & snow comes earlier & stays longer than in Vancouver and the parking sucks.

After our first winter, I insulated our boat and tossed our electric heaters - useless - replacing them with a huge kerosene heater I bought at Popeye's, in North Vancouver. Perfect!

Was it fun? Yeah! Would I do it again? Not a chance! Things that were a challenge when younger, become a pita when older. I do miss it though, but the odd overnight cures me of that affliction.
RainbowSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 14:29   #44

A friend got frustrated with the significant moorage increase at Shelter Island and got a company (from Comox I believe) to drop a mooring buoy in Ladysmith Harbour. He doesn't live aboard. With a mooring buoy, you wouldn't have to worry about an anchor dragging, and it would reserve a spot for you in the bay. I'd like to hear from people who have done this as a liveaboard.
RainbowSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 21:08   #45

Boat: Havent Bought It Yet

As for the dinghy, cant you buy one that inflates and deflates and you dont have to leave it at the dock or hidden in the trees.

This has been on my mind for quite some time trying to plan my escape from landlocked society - mooring/anchoring and not paying for slips but still being somewhat close to the city.

I dont mind roughing it, as I have done the same thing on the road with a van. And I still got the eyeballs from society (mind you I was trying to blend into residential areas, I cant count how many times I got the 9am knock on the window and name ran or the Hawcs Helicopter lighting me up at 2am) . Should have just got a commercial cube van and stayed in industrial areas. Live & Learn !!!!!!

Anyway, ya so my idea was just anchor offshore in a proper place, and have one of those decent rowing dinghy's and or ideally some sort of converted electric bike setup to swap back and forth from dinghy to bicycle as I am ashore with electric bike in hand.
markmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british columbia, columbia, living aboard