Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 00:41   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Living aboard and the impact on sailing

We have been on board 9 years and sail between 2,500 and 3,500nm a year. When it is summer we are sailors or voyagers or whatever you want to call us. in the winter and spring we can get out of the slip in about 30mins if we need to. Winter is somewhat longer as we got stuff everywhere but still we can leave quickly.
But we don't sail in the winter as we are tired and want to rest and the boat needs a bit of work and it is COLD outside and we just don't like sailing in the cold - been there done that -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 01:19   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

I suspect it depends more on who you are than on your circumstances. If sailing is an activity you want to do, then living aboard probably makes it easier and quicker. Just make sure your boat is always ready to move … not that hard to do, but it does require you to make appropriate choices.

Personally, I don’t sail my home/boat just for enjoyment. I like to sail, but for simple enjoyment I’d much rather be paddling a canoe, or even a kayak. For me and my partner, a cruising sailboat is simply the best way to achieve what’s important in our lives — but it’s not the only way.
Old 16-12-2016, 02:10   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I liveaboard, but I sail much more frequently on other people's boats than on my own.

While I've probably done more miles on ours in a few outings than on all the others combined in the last 12 months, I've sailed on a least five other boats in that period including one 700NM delivery plus quite a few Saturday afternoon races.

It's great to only have to walk down to the next finger to get on the race boat and even better to only have to stagger down the finger after those post-race drinks in the club house!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 02:11   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
On the other hand, living aboard means not having to drive x minutes or hours between home and the boat before going sailing. And you get to live in a nicer neighborhood with nicer water views.

Jim
+1
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 02:25   #20

When I was a club member and would only get to the boat once a week if that often, sailing was fun and I looked forward to each sail. Once I got my own boat after the first few seasons the day sails became less and less frequent as I consider solo sails a chore and a sail with a bunch of non sailing friends with me the only one who can sail is more than a chore - it is frequently nerve wracking, while everyone onboard is having a blissful good time. I do still enjoy sails with competent crew but it's rare to get them all in synq schedules more than occasionally.

In the Summer I practically live on my mooring with occasional trips ashore to restock groceries, attend to business and to visit friends. Kind of like practicing my future full time liveaboard life. I find 24/7 360 degree million dollar view, jumping in the water first thing in the morning, the moonlit midnight au naturel swims with my g/f, fishing (mostly fruitless while neighbors are visibly more successful), etc. to be more exciting these days than just putzing around the cans trying to catch the breeze and at the same time avoid gazillions of lobster pots. Since I started sailing I never caught that racing bug but did catch the "boating life" bug for sure. Consequently my favorite nautical saying now is the one about there not being anything better in life than messing around with boats.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 03:54   #21

Boat: Bristol 27

We have 8 liveaboards on sailboats at our dock.

One of them sails from time to time. He's a total beginner. Leaves his halyard loose after sails so it slaps around for weeks between sails.

My boat is on the way to work so I stop by a lot. Basically everyday.

It's especially nice before work just to relax a bit

The point is most liveaboards that I have witnessed rarely sail. Many never unhook from shore power until the plug burns through.

Others have so much stuff on and around their boat it would take a while to be able to sail. Even then, it wouldn't sail too well due to the 1" or so of growth on the hull

This is not to say that these guys and gals aren't great folks. Each is unique in his own way.

Once early on, several liveaboards did sail downtown for an event and planned to stay over night on a Sunday. I said are you taking Monday off?

The answer was no. We'll leave the boat at anchor and take the bus just like we do everyday but from here instead of near the marina. I was thinking that's awesome

There was another liveaboard at a marina nearby that pulled his lawnmower behind his bicycle. He made a living in the grass business!

He cut it for cash and used it for health purposes. Two different types though.

This guy could sail though. I once saw him sail out of his slip. His junky motor didn't work. I've also seen him sailing in the dead of Winter when not another boat was on the water. He may have passed or moved though because I haven't seen him lately
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 04:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTemp View Post
I am curious how the decision to live aboard ultimately impacts on the amount of time spent out sailing.

Personally, I can't wait to be aboard and heading out for a sail at every opportunity, boating is more of a recreation, not a home. I can imagine that some are far less likely to cast off the lines and head out for a day sail or a short overnight when it involves your home.

Do those who have made this move find this to be true or just the opposite?
Right! We lived aboard for 44 months at Chula Vista CO Marina for 44 months and only took boat sailing once!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 04:33   #23

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Sailors are no different than other people that have interests. Gym subscriptions, golf clubs, backpacks all sit in a closet unused because life gets in the way and you don't have time for them.

I was raised in a family owned bakery so "clean as you go" was drilled into our heads from an early age. Since moving aboard I've found this really helps as there is less preparation need to leave, everything is put back in its place after use.

I'm currently in a serious rebuild phase so the clutter is out of control (tools out, projects half done as I have a day job). In the spring when I will have more of a handle on the projects I've placed the rule that I have to sail twice a month, just so systems get used and I keep up the learning/gaining sea time. When I retire I think I'll have more motivation to sail more as it will also be driven by wanting to see new places (trips won't be an out and back). I enjoyed day sailing in San Diego vs Jacksonville because of the scenery (and therefore more motivated to day sail).
Old 16-12-2016, 05:13   #24
cruiser

We sail to move the mothership from point A to point B, then most movement takes place aboard our Highfield dinghy. Since we're generally on the move every 3-4 days, we take in plenty of sailing.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 06:21   #25

We have 2 modes depending on what time of the year it is. If it's hurricane season we might be in a marina and if we are we have full boat covers up and often tools out doing boat jobs so we don't really want to go sailing however when we are in the sailing season we are ready to go with 10 minutes notice. If we are anchored out during huricane season we are somewhere in between but ready to sail in 30 minutes or less. We tend to travel to new places, countries when we are sailing so we put on lots of miles during the sailing season.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 06:24   #26

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

We have lived aboard for the past 12 years. We do not however tie up to a dock and live on the hook. Much better for those who like their privacy. So the boat is always ready to leave whether it's to sail over to SXM, VG, Saba, or just to go outside and drag a couple of lines around the fishing grounds. It's as simple as dropping the mooring lines and leaving.

In reading on this forum as well as others, I guess that we don't fit into the mold that has been cast to describe "Live aboards" because we actually use our boat frequently and are totally self sufficient without the need of a dock. When people ask, I refer to my wife and I as cruisers that prefer living on our boat rather than an apartment or house on land. Yeah yeah,, Live aboards..
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 06:39   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

One data point from my personal experience. YMMV.

In the summer, I sail for a month, sailing most days, getting 1500 miles from UK to Finland. Then two months staying fairly close to base, working during the week, but sailing every single weekend, sometimes taking an extra day.

Then a month getting back (upwind), sailing most days and some 2 - 3 day passages.

The rest of the year, I live on board sporadically. Sometimes working on the boat. But almost always going out on weekends and occasional long weekends or week long cruises.

My home base used to be a mid-river mooring on the Hamble with no water or power, so living aboard there meant you had no choice but to make way at least every week or so -- to get water, at least. That turned into a pleasant habit, so I virtually never live aboard without going out at least once a week.

Unless I have something vital taken apart because I'm working on it, the boat can always be made ready for sea within 10 to 30 minutes. 10 if it's calm enough to do the housekeeping stuff while motoring out. Approximately 20 to 30 minutes if it's necessary to do everything before casting off.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 06:48   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Living aboard and the impact on sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
When I live aboard I like to be in what I call cruise mode.. ready to go at half hours notice.. basically this just involes good house keeping.. when you've finished with something.. put it away.
Its a relatively small area so clutter is a pain..
Right now I live ashore coz the fore cabin is an empty hole.. the salons littered with tools and the aft cabins full of allsorts..
Notice many are including OP's boats in their 'sailing'...
This year I've sailed in the Caribe, Azores, Spain, France and Italy doing around 6,000nm over 4 summer months..
So living aboard or ashore has zero effect on my sailing mileage and I can go in as quick as it takes to book a flight...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 07:46   #29
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
We have lived aboard for the past 12 years. We do not however tie up to a dock and live on the hook. Much better for those who like their privacy. So the boat is always ready to leave whether it's to sail over to SXM, VG, Saba, or just to go outside and drag a couple of lines around the fishing grounds. It's as simple as dropping the mooring lines and leaving.

In reading on this forum as well as others, I guess that we don't fit into the mold that has been cast to describe "Live aboards" because we actually use our boat frequently and are totally self sufficient without the need of a dock. When people ask, I refer to my wife and I as cruisers that prefer living on our boat rather than an apartment or house on land. Yeah yeah,, Live aboards..

Similar here, rarely venturing near a marina. Anchored up the Guadiana in Portugal/Spain. Everything happens via the dinghy. Here;s great, fancy new scenery sail/motor up or down the river. And as others have said, anchored the boat is never more the a short while to get going, even if there are a few bangs first time it heels. If it is in a marina the usually jobs on the go and stuff everywhere. Don't think I know many long term cruisers who just sail for the joy on its own, plenty will enjoy getting the most out of the rig on a passage but just popping out for a day round the bay doesn't really happen much. And the sails save money on diesel
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 08:06   #30

Boat: lancer 36

i live aboard my sailboat and living aboard means keeping her ready to cast off on my whim.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard, sail, sailing