Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 16:36   #31

Re: Living Aboard a Tiny Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
As far as I know, living aboard isn't allowed but there are those do it by keeping a low profile so no hanging the washing out. Some have had success by asking in person as the official line is it is not allowed. Whereabouts are you thinking and what's your budget for the boat and for the marina fees?
I would like to find something around the Melbourne area for under $200 AUD a week but to be honest, I don't have a clue what the average price is here in the area. The Melbourne city marina quotes 35/ night to 50/night but that is only for short term stay and that's in the heart of the city.

I would like to find a boat for under $5,000 which seems doable for a sailboat between 20-25 feet but I do realize that I would most likely need to do some repairs to it. I've done some wood work, fiberglassing, and some electrical stuff before so that wouldn't be new to for me. Over time, I would like to upgrade it to make it safe for simple coastal sailing too (chartplotter, autopilot, solar panel, new sails, and so on).
Andromeda1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 16:58   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaymc View Post
Maybe you could come here to the USA and sail back to Australia on your affordable boat. Just a thought.
That is a possibility but the cost of flying back to the states, finding a boat (most likely in CA if I want to bring it over to Australia), outfitting it for water sailing">blue water sailing (off shore life raft, solar panels, water maker, and so on), and then the sail across the Pacific, that would cost a lot more than what I could find here in Australia. But that is a possibility... what would most likely be the better option is to just do share accommodation here for a couple of years and work hard enough to afford a better boat, fly over to FL and find something there, refit it for blue water sailing, and test everything out in the Bahamas before doing any major blue water sailing and then go from there...
Old 05-05-2019, 17:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
If you are willing to sail it back and get your own outboard I will give you my old islander .
It has sailed to Hawaii and back stateside .
The gladiator that Robin Graham Sailed around the world is a copy of my boat.
That's also could work... I'm going to send you a PM for more info.
Old 05-05-2019, 17:09   #34

The Anchorage at Williamstown might be a possibility but talk to them in person. There are also a few liveaboards at Docklands but as I said, you need to keep a low profile.

Think about waste disposal and as mentioned previously, having the headroom to stand up makes a real difference. Also, consider how you are going to stay warm in winter and deal with condensation.

An out of the box idea might be a trailer sailer and use it like a caravan. You might be able to find some space to rent in a driveway/backyard with access to facilities and just launch it when you want to go for a sail.

Keep an eye on ebay, gumtree, trading post as well as boatsonline.com.au, boatsales.com.au and tradeboats.com.au. Also, might pay to ask around on seabreeze.com.au or even post a wanted ad there.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 17:41   #35

Boat: Volkscruiser

That Cole is still advertised on Gumtree for $5000 and looks a good buy........
I think you would be better at looking for an old H28 or Duncanson 29 or similar if you want to go cruising. Any money you put into a smaller boat you will never get back when you come to sell her and buy a bigger cruising yacht.
The wife and I spent years living on a Roberts 25, I think it is all about getting used to what you have.
Don’t forget you are going to need insurance to go into a marina.
Have you seen the Scandia 32 on Gumtree for $12,000? That looks like a bloody good buy and nice to live on. I know it’s out of your budget but maybe you can stretch it?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 18:14   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
That Cole is still advertised on Gumtree for $5000 and looks a good buy........
I think you would be better at looking for an old H28 or Duncanson 29 or similar if you want to go cruising. Any money you put into a smaller boat you will never get back when you come to sell her and buy a bigger cruising yacht.
The wife and I spent years living on a Roberts 25, I think it is all about getting used to what you have.
Donít forget you are going to need insurance to go into a marina.
Have you seen the Scandia 32 on Gumtree for $12,000? That looks like a bloody good buy and nice to live on. I know itís out of your budget but maybe you can stretch it?
Cheers
To be honest, I'm not going to be buying something for the next 6-12 months. I want to first see what's available and what to expect and then once I'm ready to buy, I have an idea with what I'm looking for.
Old 05-05-2019, 19:22   #37

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I dunno, if it were me with 6-12 months, I'd just keep my search between Adelaide and Sydney California is a couple weeks away Seriously though, there may be the perfect boat already in the harbor or marina where you'll be working! When I was looking up and down the coast here, it turned out the boat I really wanted was already here! AND you may see a boat you really like that has no for sale sign on it but looks like it has had no visitors for a while. Don't be shy about finding who the owner is and giving him or her a call. Many folks are on the fence about selling and can't quite bring themselves to put the sign up, but if they know it will go to a good home, they can be persuaded.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 19:53   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I dunno, if it were me with 6-12 months, I'd just keep my search between Adelaide and Sydney California is a couple weeks away Seriously though, there may be the perfect boat already in the harbor or marina where you'll be working! When I was looking up and down the coast here, it turned out the boat I really wanted was already here! AND you may see a boat you really like that has no for sale sign on it but looks like it has had no visitors for a while. Don't be shy about finding who the owner is and giving him or her a call. Many folks are on the fence about selling and can't quite bring themselves to put the sign up, but if they know it will go to a good home, they can be persuaded.
that's how I got my current boat restoration project.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:42   #39

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Living Aboard a Tiny Sailboat

Built a 26í sloop which we cruised on around Port Phillip, Westernport and the Strait for several months on and off. Met some nice people, learned heaps and developed some courage to set my own directions.

Melbourne was difficult then (1970s) and is possibly worse now. Cold and wet regularly, difficult to find permanent base and crappy access to transport and facilities. Would not want to do it again. If you can get out of the city you may do better - Westernport, Geelong, the lower Bay or more rural and you would find it heaps more convivial. Try to change your life.

Forgot to mention that we built her in a Parkville back yard about 100 m from the Childrens Hospital. Anything is possible.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 15:51   #40

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I lived on my boat for over five years, but my friends who lived on smaller boats than mine did it a lot tougher than did I. I would not be living on any boat smaller that 26 feet, even for a short spell. That would be just a place to sit around in, cook small meals, watch tele and sleep--one could hardly call that living. Passage making is different to commuting to work. A commuter needs more stuff, and stuff takes up space.

A Compass 28 or 29 would be my MINIMUM.

Ideally thirty five feet up to forty feet--room to iron shirts and live with creature comforts like hot showers, fridges and freezers, storage for clothes, ability to wash things aboard should one need to do so, proper hot showers, plenty of storage for food and boatswain's stores, and space to produce proper meals, and when one does take a weekend sail, less propensity for mal-de-mer.

Ideally a catamaran--but they are expensive.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:27   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
I lived on my boat for over five years, but my friends who lived on smaller boats than mine did it a lot tougher than did I. I would not be living on any boat smaller that 26 feet, even for a short spell. That would be just a place to sit around in, cook small meals, watch tele and sleep--one could hardly call that living. Passage making is different to commuting to work. A commuter needs more stuff, and stuff takes up space.

A Compass 28 or 29 would be my MINIMUM.

Ideally thirty five feet up to forty feet--room to iron shirts and live with creature comforts like hot showers, fridges and freezers, storage for clothes, ability to wash things aboard should one need to do so, proper hot showers, plenty of storage for food and boatswain's stores, and space to produce proper meals, and when one does take a weekend sail, less propensity for mal-de-mer.

Ideally a catamaran--but they are expensive.
To be honest, I would love to have an Amel right now but as you guys know, those boats aren't cheap!

But everything also depends on what you work as. For example, if work in construction, you don't have to worry about keeping a nice suit and tie like if you are working in the office.
For me, I know I would be able to get buy living in a 22 or 24 foot sailboat for a couple of months or maybe a couple of years but I would have to get a larger one eventually since I want to do long term blue water sailing and I want to be able to be away from the docks for a couple of months and also have my own scuba compressor and tanks.

For now, I just need a place to sleep and a small stove. I can use the toilet and take showers on shore. I don't watch tele so that's not an issue, and in my free time, I could be in the public library using their WiFi. But like I said, I couldn't live like this forever.

I just want something right now to be able to take out sailing for a couple of days to build up experience with sailing keel boats, learn about all the systems on the boat and what it takes to maintain them, and once I have the money, I'll upgrade to a larger boat.
Like I said, I would love to have an Amel but realistically speaking, I would probably end up getting something between 35-40 feet and do quite a few repairs and upgrades on it before I head out for the blue ocean. Since it might be difficult to fine a larger boat reasonable priced here in Australia, I might end up buying the larger boat in Florida and just fix it up there while I'm working part time and once it's ready, take it into the Bahamas before I end up doing any major ocean crossings.
Old 07-05-2019, 19:35   #42

If anybody is interested regarding the dock fees by Melbourne, I just found out the fees for Wyndham Harbour (it's southwest of Melbourne). On their website, they do mentioned that they allow liveaboards.

For a short term rental (12 months) it cost $4,395 AUD
For a long term (5 years for under 10m) it cost $16,360 AUD

That is just the berth rental. I don't know if they have any extra fees if you want to liveaboard. The website does say that they have bathrooms, showers, free WiFi, and so on.
Here's the link to the Marinas website if anybody is interested in looking.
https://www.wyndhamharbour.com.au/marina/
Old 08-05-2019, 06:25   #43

Boat: Scout 30

$273 a month for long term sounds quite reasonable. Actually $366 a month for short term sounds pretty good too.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:43   #44

Agree with everybody so far. Lived on a Catalina 25, the poptop with a snap on "tent" was a luxury. Look for standing head room, the rest will come together. Don't know about Australia, but every close shore anchorage I've lived in , has a gym within bike or bus. Hot shower anytime. Go for it.
captivacapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:51   #45

A simple boom tent over the cockpit increases living space by 100% - well a lot.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, living aboard, sail, sailboat