Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 10:30   #1

Living Aboard a Morgan Ketch

Hello everyone,

my wife and I have been looking at a new boat ton start our live aboard life style and we have been looking at something like this.

1978 Morgan 452 Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

we are wondering what others thought about this size boat as a liveaboard.
Smith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:37   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: living aboard on a morgam ketch

30.000 pounds!!! thats heavy!!
David Pascoe write few lines about the morgan..
Boat Review by David Pascoe - Morgan 462 Ketch
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 13:14   #3

Boat: Slocum 43

Go for it and enjoy. That's not heavy. Mine is 28k lbs I sailed on one once and she did well. Comfortable. Layout was ok.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 04:28   #4

HOW WAS THE HANDLING ON THE MORGAN YOU SAILED ON I HEARD THAT IT IS MUCH DIFFERENT THEN A FIN KEEL.
Old 13-01-2014, 06:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith21 View Post
HOW WAS THE HANDLING ON THE MORGAN YOU SAILED ON I HEARD THAT IT IS MUCH DIFFERENT THEN A FIN KEEL.
There's nothing inherently wrong with the Morgan 452, couple of CF members here love theirs... These are big heavy boats that are not "agile" i.e. tacking up a narrow fairway would be a lot of work... BUT... They are very sea kindly with a ton less motion than the lighter fin keelers.... BTW... this is not a "full keel" boat, it is a fin keel variety... They like to point in one direction, and are easily balanced....

59k is way overpriced for the market... same boat offered on craigslist for 49k... still a bit much....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 07:46   #6

Boat: Slocum 43

You can't compare these to a fin keel. Apples and oranges. They are a modified full keel with a cut away fore foot and skeg hung rudder. The theory is that that will tack easier and be more nimble than a full keel but retain directional stability with the skeg hung rudder.

True fin keel will be very nimble in comparison. But will have trade offs.

Btw the one I sailed on did very nicely in light winds once we gotmatarted
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 08:16   #7

Wonderful boat for living and the cruising that 99 percent of cruisers will do . Those boats have cruised for millions of miles all over the world .
Most fin keels will need constant attention to the helm , this Morgan you will aim and trim and then go fix your lunch . Hell of a boat , priced to cheap ???
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 12:52   #8

ive been hearing good things about this type of morgan boat. my wife and i are planning on living on the boat we buy. currently we are in the process of selling our house to go full time on the water. but the boat i posted here in an earlyier post said to high for the market and i agree i wouldnt pay that price any way.
Old 13-01-2014, 12:55   #9

Boat: Gulfstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith21 View Post
ive been hearing good things about this type of morgan boat. my wife and i are planning on living on the boat we buy. currently we are in the process of selling our house to go full time on the water. but the boat i posted here in an earlyier post said to high for the market and i agree i wouldnt pay that price any way.
What did you find...and how do you like it?
Salty Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 15:52   #10

Boat: Liberty 458

We looked at several Morgan 452 / 46 during our 80 day roadtrip. Most were tired and in poor condition but most had a decent layout for living aboard. The link to the Morgan on yachtworld looks like it's in quite good condition.

We ended up buying a Liberty 458 in excellent condition and fully equipped from a fastidious long term owner. You're on the right track looking at vessels in good condition? Good luck with your search.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 17:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
We looked at several Morgan 452 / 46 during our 80 day roadtrip. Most were tired and in poor condition but most had a decent layout for living aboard. The link to the Morgan on yachtworld looks like it's in quite good condition.

We ended up buying a Liberty 458 in excellent condition and fully equipped from a fastidious long term owner. You're on the right track looking at vessels in good condition? Good luck with your search.
there are a lot that i have seen in poor condition or the current owner tries to do a refit and either A doesn't have all the time he/she thought they had to do it or B gets over whelmed or runs out of money for it. My first sailboat was party finished and then i finished the refit to enjoy some time on it and now its time to get one that my wife and i can live on full time. how do you like how the liberty 458 handles in rough weather?
Old 13-01-2014, 17:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Skipper View Post
What did you find...and how do you like it?
i found a Morgan 452 that looks to be in pretty good condition. the only thing is that the price is too high and i need to get a survey done on it when i get back to the states if that one is still for sale.
Old 14-01-2014, 17:01   #13

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54

ive been on my 1980 462 ketchfor 1 1/2 years now. after upgrading the batteries and charger, hyd steering lines, from copper tubing to braided hose, standing rigging, trans, shaft, prop, injectors and pump,head gasket and air conditioner shes a fine, comfortable and reliable ship. they were asking 55k settled on 37k . then i spent 35k restoring all that was needed. the surveyor was impressed with the hull and the way she moved along in light winds on our sea trial.
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 10:28   #14

Re: Living Aboard a Morgam Ketch

spent a lot of time on someone else,s O/I 40.It was a surprisingly good light air boat and a good bad weather boat.good on autopilot,too.It wasn't the prettiest boat I've ever seen,but it's not a beauty contest.I'd buy one for a liveabord.
Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 17:23   #15

Boat: Morgan OutIsland 41, Ketch
Re: Living Aboard a Morgan Ketch

We have a Morgan OI 41 Ketch and just love her. Loads of room below, loads of storage. And Pegleg is right - she sails so well in bad weather. Nice and stable. That is because she is solid and heavy. Doesn't turn on a dime because she is not a fin keel. But really nice to sail. If you are cruising and want comfort, space, large salon, large heads, and a nice safe centre cockpit, then that is a great boat. Plus her draft is only 5' 5". You could do the Caribbean / Bahamas not problem at all!

I see Yachtworld shows that boat as "sale pending". Hope you are the buyer!

All the best

Pat & Mike
Matilda Morgan OI 41
mcfirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch, living aboard, morgan