Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 07:16   #46

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
How a couple in Toronto made it onto a 43 ft boat ?

I fell over following video... which shortly describes a 43 ft sailing yacht (a Goshawk Ketch originally coming from Nova Scotia) and its owners... a couple which lived in Toronto a "normal life" on land.

Loosing the job, seeing the need to sell the house... Rob and Jay decided to tourn their life 180 degrees into a living on the boat even in cold Canadian winter.

As following short interview shows, it had been tough times over many years till the boat became a cosy home (together with their cat). Inspiring...

Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:56   #47

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Liveaboards In Nova Scotia

All this talk of living aboard in Halifax, TO and Montreal year round with the concerns of heating in the winter makes me recall my years working commercially in January, February and March on the west coast. Every vessel I worked/lived on had a diesel stove in the galley area that ran 24/7 and kept the living area toasty warm at very little expense. Is this a feature that east coast vessels routinely have? If not, why not? Just curious... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 13:41   #48

heating system for iiveaboards In Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
All this talk of living aboard in Halifax, TO and Montreal year round with the concerns of heating in the winter makes me recall my years working commercially in January, February and March on the west coast. Every vessel I worked/lived on had a diesel stove in the galley area that ran 24/7 and kept the living area toasty warm at very little expense. Is this a feature that east coast vessels routinely have? If not, why not? Just curious... Phil
I know from Arctic adventure sailors that they install diesel stoves which regularly are used on board of commercially fishing boats, e.g. well known the Danish stove models REFLEKS...
REFLEKS heaters at Toplicht

The benefit of these stoves that they use "gravity" instead of an electric pump. A nice video series here of a guy who started living on a small boat in the Baltic sea which mostly has ice during Jan/Febr.

These Refleks are very small by dimensions. Do not need lots of space. - The bigger ones even have a plate on top for heating coffee/tea water.

Shortly I have seen on a small Kraken 33 ft. Trimaran on the West coast of Canada... a Dickinson heater. More pictures of this beauitfully boat here. It just was sold.

I think it needs an electric pump to run it as I have understood.

The sales prizes are OK of both brands I would say. But the diesel costs aren't small. The average consumption for one stove is 5-6 liters per day. Thats up to one liter each four hours. Running 24hx7d its up to 155-186 litres per month.

So storing diesel for 5 months a boat would need a tank size of 800-900 litres. On Trimarans we have maximum 2-300 literes (regularly less under 100 litres). So its a question for smaller boats how to store all diesel for the winter. During ice period its not possible to haul over to the water petrol station. So it needs lots of canisters to tranport the diesel to the boat. E.g. for 180 litres it would need 9-10 canisters each a volume of 20 litres a boat owner would need to organize monthly. Thats time consuming.

If I look at the real time prizes for diesel on the coast of Nova Soctia its up to 97.5 cents/l = 152-182 Can Dollars = max. 130 Euros.

Lets say one has to heat 5 months per year that's 650 Euros (918 CAN$) in maximum per year = 54.17 Euros (76.45 CAN$) monthly average during whole year. Thats acceptable. (Rec.: In Germany we pay for a 50-60 m2 appartement 80 Euros / months in average.)

I wondered little bit watching the video about Rob and Jay's winter living on their 43 footer they talked about using three heaters parallel. They must have huge heating expenses.
Old 25-11-2015, 14:34   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Is this a feature that east coast vessels routinely have? If not, why not? Just curious... Phil
Yet I have not found a "living on board" community on coast of NS...
Old 22-02-2016, 17:54   #50

resurrecting the forum,

how did this all work out for you Jude? I am thinking about doing this myself this year.
i've been doing a bit of research but any words of wisdom would be helpful!
lemon_eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 17:17   #51

Hey yall, old thread I know but I'm from NS, lived here my entire life just felt the need to chime in.

Don't know much about living aboard here but I know Nova Scotians are a hardy and yes gritty bunch. It wouldn't surprise me if some do live aboard in the winters here.

With that said, I've met people who come here from the west coast and complain of the dampness, it may not get as cold but the dampness can cut through you in the winters, especially if you're not used to it.

I don't want to that stop anyone though, with proper clothing and heating I'm sure it would be fine.

Our Harbour is one of the biggest in the world and is always moving so not much freezes over. I do see lots of boats in the water still in some marinas, we have some amazing coast lines as well and very multicultural. The Lunenburg/Chester/Mahone Bay area are known for their boating lifestyle and are a good mix of people, a lot of Germans especially. Some of the best seafood and local restaurants you'll ever eat at as well.

That's about all I have to share other then the people here are friendly, laid back and will help out a stranger any day of the week and probably invite you to have a beer!
Saltynips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 18:19   #52

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltynips View Post
Hey yall, old thread I know but I'm from NS, lived here my entire life just felt the need to chime in.

Don't know much about living aboard here but I know Nova Scotians are a hardy and yes gritty bunch. It wouldn't surprise me if some do live aboard in the winters here.

With that said, I've met people who come here from the west coast and complain of the dampness, it may not get as cold but the dampness can cut through you in the winters, especially if you're not used to it.

I don't want to that stop anyone though, with proper clothing and heating I'm sure it would be fine.

Our Harbour is one of the biggest in the world and is always moving so not much freezes over. I do see lots of boats in the water still in some marinas, we have some amazing coast lines as well and very multicultural. The Lunenburg/Chester/Mahone Bay area are known for their boating lifestyle and are a good mix of people, a lot of Germans especially. Some of the best seafood and local restaurants you'll ever eat at as well.

That's about all I have to share other then the people here are friendly, laid back and will help out a stranger any day of the week and probably invite you to have a beer!
Sounds like a true 'mackerel snapper'! Great to hear from you, Salty nips... my oldest and a couple of grandkids just spent a month in NS, NB, PEI and NF and said that NS was their favorite. Friendly folks who went out of their way to make them feel welcome, great seafood and B&B accommodation. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:12   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, lemon eyes.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 16:47   #54

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'

I've watched a couple of videos on the houseboats in Mahone Bay, and was curious if those are pulled each winter. Anybody know?

As a sop to some of the previous, long ages old posts, we've now lived aboard our shantyboat for the last three years, going into our fourth winter, and a small woodstove keeps us toasty all winter. We're on the Chesapeake, so about every other year, things freeze, but we've ne'er had any problems.
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 20:16   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildshore View Post
I've watched a couple of videos on the houseboats in Mahone Bay, and was curious if those are pulled each winter. Anybody know?

As a sop to some of the previous, long ages old posts, we've now lived aboard our shantyboat for the last three years, going into our fourth winter, and a small woodstove keeps us toasty all winter. We're on the Chesapeake, so about every other year, things freeze, but we've ne'er had any problems.
I suspect they are pulled as that part of Mahone Bay often freezes over. I skated on the bay when I lived there many moons ago, though recently we've had warmer winters. Maybe I should post that on the global warming thread that never dies.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 14:07   #56

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'

Anyone know of or heard tell of livaboards (year round) on Bras D'Ore? Baddeck comes to mind, but there's lots of water there. Anyone?
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 05:04   #57

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

There are two guys living aboard their boats in Repentigny, Quebec this winter, at the Marina de la Rive Nord. One is a small fibreglass sloop - maybe 28' and the other is a 45' ferrocement schooner. i'll try to post some pictures later.

It seems to me that the Wallas stove Wallas.ca Home is about the best stove you can get as it allows cooking as well as heating the cabin, all on the same fuel that you use for your diesel engine.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 05:10   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildshore View Post
here is a video:

Anybody know where in Mahone Bay this is?

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 08-03-2017, 14:32   #59

These are the two boats that i promised to show you (actually there are three) at the Marina de la Rive Nord in Repentigny Quebec - just downriver from Montreal. Photos taken on Feb 14.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marina Rive Nord Winter .jpg
Views:	673
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	142714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marina Rive Nord Winter 2.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	142715  

Old 08-03-2017, 16:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Anybody know where in Mahone Bay this is?

jon
Sorry for the late reply- this is the centre of the town of Mahone Bay. I lived for a couple of years at the top of the hill behind the house boats. Best 2 years of my life! An absolutely wonderful place.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nova scotia