Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 10:43   #46

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Re: Liveaboards and Tenants

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm not going to provide you my maritime resume. If you're not familiar with the dregs of society that occupy many moorings and anchorages throughout this country (and are the sole reason for the laws being so tough) you will find out plenty as you visit more of them.
Normally I'd rise to the bait, but I wouldn't like to appear as carrying the flag of the OP, which I wouldn't.
I hate smugness.
Old 20-10-2011, 11:10   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
Normally I'd rise to the bait, but I wouldn't like to appear as carrying the flag of the OP, which I wouldn't.
I hate smugness.
Me thinking I'm better than some low-life scumbag selling pot to finance his alcoholism in the mooring is hardly "smugness". Who thinks the laws and regulations are being passed because there aren't the type of people I'm talking about?

Like everyone in a mooring field is paying their bills, not discharging overboard, keeping their boats looking nice, not selling using meth, and not causing problems for the police and other residents. The number is probably well under 10% but 10 boats out of 100 doing nefarious deeds 24/7 and causing a headache for the management is plenty. I'm more than sure that the remaining decent population of real mariners (the 90%) is where everyone in this thread belongs.

But this is about the pressures on the management and the people who have to deal with the rotten apples. It's not fair to everyone but year after year of scuttled boats and a blight on the harbor is more than enough for the powers that be to clamp down tight and retain rights that allow them to kick scumbags out.

And honestly people on here should be thrilled by that. The waiting list for a mooring in San Diego was 5 YEARS up until just recently, because of new laws that allow them to kick out scumbag boats with scumbag "owners", many of whom are just squatting on someone else's boat and selling enough drugs to pay the $200/month mooring fee.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 02:50   #48

im sorry all, you are right this is rediculous to a point. all my daughter was doing is venting. but we will be fine and yes thats the case...we cannot afford to live anywhere else at the moment. but i took someones advice and just basically begged the Harbor master for more time to find other options. hopefully it will do some good. have a merry holiday all.
tmorrowa
nikkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 10:06   #49
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I didn't know where you were, laws, regulations, codes and other ways of controlling ones life in the "Republic of California" are like a totally different country.
Old 21-10-2011, 12:11   #50

Boat: Small and simple, under 30'

If I was the Harbor Master, I would kick you out of the marina as well as the rest of the parties involved!!!

It's best to not get involved and stay out of other peoples business.. Maybe the guy you "saved" had it coming..
Old 21-10-2011, 17:01   #51

and Im sorry..but you my friend are an As*h***. How dare you say that.. Someday you will need the help of someone and I hope they think the same way you do and not come to your rescue..see how it feels to be helpless.

p.s. you suck
tmorrowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 17:52   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

vyndance-
"9.Floating Home Residency Law Inapplicable...
10.No Residential Tenancy Created."

Keep in mind that even though Cali tends to do things differently from the rest of the US, and even the federal courts in Cali tend to differ from the federal courts in the rest of the US, when a contract tries to set aside statutory rights, or run counter to them, even in Cali the contract may be thrown out, because statutory rights generally can't be destroyed by contract.

I can sign a contract with you, selling you my vote for twenty bucks. But that won't change the fact that selling my vote is illegal, by statute. Whatever the local (city, state, county) housing and tenancy laws are, they are. A contract? Doesn't count unless the statutes allow for it to do so.

A tenant on a boat? Governed by housing laws? Well, they've bio-engineered flying pigs too, or so I've heard.<G> As the contract refers to a "floating home residency law" there might be some statute that needs looking at.

Nikkim-
In some venues, simply bringing an action in housing court will result in a temporary restraining order, barring evictions for 3-6 months until the action is heard in the court. So there's one option, bring the landlord (waterlord?) to housing court, and at least get the action delayed to buy some time. Or, ask them for a delay so you won't have to compel it. And in the meantime, research that "floating home residency law".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 18:15   #53

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

I am lucky in that I haven't seen any of that side of marina or anchorage life, although I've been in plenty of rough places on land. I do prefer smaller places with eight or ten slips. Didn't move onto my boat to live in a crowded place or stay in one place too long.
Peace.
Old 21-10-2011, 19:27   #54

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

So, it sounds like maybe one harbormaster is not using the California Coastal Commission as a scapegoat or excuse for clamping down/beating up on liveaboards? I wonder how many "regulations" have been attributed to the commission?
Old 21-10-2011, 20:17   #55

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
If I was the Harbor Master, I would kick you out of the marina as well as the rest of the parties involved!!!

It's best to not get involved and stay out of other peoples business.. Maybe the guy you "saved" had it coming..
What a sweetheart!
While I agree with much that "rebel heart" has said, I also appreciate that people are having a tough time, especially in places like California. Still, is that a valid reason to beat up on them? The marina we're keeping our boat at has several liveaboards who are obviously struggling. The marina manager recognizes that if she chases the delinquints off, she'll have empty slips. In this economy, some money is better than none. Every person I've met here seems to be decent & respectful of others, always ready to lend a hand. Based on their posts, the OP & family also seem to be decent folk. "Kick them out" for getting involved? Unconscionable.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 09:36   #56

thank you bangkaboat... you are a kind person and i'm sure the lord will reward you for it. unlike some people ?????(piney) some selfish people just dont have a clue as to what hardship is all about. thanks
tmorrowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 10:48   #57
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Though someone in a trailer park might want to rent you his travel trailer, if it runs contrary to the rules of the trailer park, then both you and the owner of the trailer could both be evicted. This would hold up in any court any where and would thus be applicable in a marina. Most marinas have a clause allowing them to evict a tenant as per their own discretion (this is usually reserved for special cases)