Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 09:17   #31

Re: Liveaboards and Tenants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkim View Post
The only right i'm hoping i'm entitled to is not being homeless. I'm mean all I did was save someone's life and this is what I get in return.
HUH!?! No offense, but seriously, you think you have a "right" to not be homeless? Or are you trying to tell us that someone owes you something, because of what you did?

Obviously this has nothing at all to do with tenants rights. You do not have a right to not be homeless. You do not have a right to be compensated when you voluntarily stick your neck out for someone else. And my personal opinion is that no one owes you anything at all for what you did. A "thank you" might be nice, but that's not something that is OWED to you in any sense.

Now that the whole story is finally out, this entire thread seems pretty ridiculous.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 09:46   #32
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Our marina will not let someone live aboard a boat that is not the owner (they had some trouble with people getting cheap rent in exchange for paying mooring fees. That said If you live on your boat and have room for someone else to live on your boat and pitch in on moorage and food costs, that's allowed. If you want "legal rights" it would be the same as those for someone renting a room. If you feel you need to have a legal document drawn up, then that is probably someone that shouldn't be living on your boat anyway.
Old 19-10-2011, 12:26   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkim View Post
well for starter's this whole thing about right after i saved another tenants life after he was rob and litteraly had his head kicked in repeatedly. And come to find out it was another tenant that set it all up to happen. The police had to go to the marina next door to get there video tapes because the cameras here were down that week. I had a gun pulled on me when i noticed something wasn't right and ran to go try and stop these people. Since then the security gate has been left open all day and night for no reason for day's at a time. And I think the harbor master is afraid that the victim might sue. But if that's the case the last thing you should do is buddy up with the person who organized the whole incident. Right? As is it didn't make the paper even though it was defined as a hate crime because of the evidence and the victims sexuality. Now on the other hand the owner has no knowledge of that incident a curing nor of the notice's being handed out. The more i think about it i think the harbor master might think his job is on the line if the owner did find out, witch means no more sending money from the harbor on his own pleasures like four new boats and flying lessons instead of putting the money back into the harbor to improve the structure and dredge the place so that people would want to dock their boats here. But who knows? The only right i'm hoping i'm entitled to is not being homeless. I'm mean all I did was save someone's life and this is what I get in return.
If the Police are involved then I would be surprised if the owner does not know. and if not no reason why he could not be informed by anyone. Doesn't mean he would give a sh#t though

FWIW doesn't sound entirely random.........and just because he be of a different sexuality to his attackers does not automatically mean he wasn't involved in "stuff".

Anyway, I don't see how your "rights" have been affected. Seems to me that you feel owed something - like dredging?

If you don't like the neighbours / security / how the Marina is run.......then f#ck off somewhere else (the advantage of a boat is being mobile )......same as being in a sh#ty shore based neighbourhood.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 13:52   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

I just can not really figure out what we are talking about. Guess I'll have to use my right to just stop...
Old 19-10-2011, 14:05   #35

Heh, heh, heh...Aye..what Don says.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:17   #36

well thanks every one for your opinion and information I appreciate it all.
nikkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:22   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
"Losers with big dogs",? Where did that come from and who are you to say such a thing? I live on my boat with a chocolate Lab and I assure you, I'm not a loser in any respect.
I'm not going to provide you my maritime resume. If you're not familiar with the dregs of society that occupy many moorings and anchorages throughout this country (and are the sole reason for the laws being so tough) you will find out plenty as you visit more of them.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:35   #38

and for the record no I don't feel anyone owe's me for putting my neck on the line that was my own choice because unlike other's I realize life is short and NO ONE should have it shortened by someone else just because they have things other's might want but don't want to work to get them, nor because of what their sexuality is. That's just wrong. Nor do I think I'm owed for the things i've voluntarily done. Money isn't everything to me nor is receiving credit for thing's. I got be completely broke and still can say honestly that I'm living a very happy life even during the ruff times. How many people can say that and mean it? If every body gave two sh*ts about others instead of themselves all the time the world would probably be a better place.
nikkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:51   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboards and Tenants

Hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
I know that tune....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 19:12   #40

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Unless I missed something (which is highly possible) I would assume that Nikkim does not own the boat he is living on even though he may be paying rent "under the table."

- - As to all the other stuff about rights and hate crimes, etc., I would have to agree that such things are seemingly becoming very common these days. Be it that you live in California or some little port anyplace else in the world, these things are happening too often or maybe just being publicized so they seem to be happening too often.

- - In any case the plight of "static live-aboards" - those folks who cannot or are not willing to move their boat (and themselves) to a new location - is becoming to look more and more like the plight of the "homeless" living on land. If that is the case then for the rest of us who like to move, cruise and occasionally spend a few months or a season in one place - we can expect to be treated and looked at more and more like the "homeless." Not a good trend.

- - It would be interesting to know if the owner(s) of this forum consider "static live-aboards" as a part of the CF stated theme - "Cruising boats, Cruising people, Cruising answers" Or like religion, politics, and sex it is something CF does not want to encompass.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 19:28   #41

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - It would be interesting to know if the owner(s) of this forum consider "static live-aboards" as a part of the CF stated theme - "Cruising boats, Cruising people, Cruising answers" Or like religion, politics, and sex it is something CF does not want to encompass.

Not the owners of course, but IMHO....nope, not cruising, even locally!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 21:13   #42
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I don't claim to speak for the owner, but the forum's basic self-definition can be found on the rules page: "This is a community of individuals who share a common interest in boating and cruising."

Seems pretty broad to me.
Old 19-10-2011, 22:19   #43

hi there everyone; I am a part of this family that nikkim is speaking of... I'm her mother and we have my husband also. A brief background of the situation may help as you say...We are in the u.s.a. in california. The harbor is a dilapitaded large harbor that is basically the worst one in the area that is not condemend. I believe it would be if it were'nt for my daughter and hubby. The other tenenant call us if they have problems. we have been here 4 yrs. now and at the very begining there were owners that let it go very badly. The folks that live here are very happy and content and quiet. some have been here 14 years.they all say it would not be presentable at all if not for us. The harbor Master does absolutly nothing to improve or repair it . He spends all his time here playing on his own boats.And he never has to pay us for any of our work ,we volentarily do it .Suddenly he is targeting my family and one other couple to leave . there are 60 slips and there were 10 liveaboards.untill last month when one of the tenenants got his head bashed in and almost died. They robbed him and left him for dead. The harbor master was not able to produce any video because of his lack of interest in the security, the cameras were not turned on that weekend. I believe he feels threatened the guy will sue. But he was told he has to leave also. Isnt that horrible to do to that poor guy? The day he returned from the hospital he told him this. Anyway i said it would be brief...sorry any questions?? tmorrowa
tmorrowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 09:25   #44

True, it's not a very nice thing to do, but the world is full of unpleasant people and sometimes that's just how life is. Take it or leave it. As they say, "sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you."

Were I you, I would probably have left a long time ago. It doesn't sound like you have any legal basis for any sort of action against anyone. Of course, you might want to refer back to my first post in this thread.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 10:21   #45

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

It doesn't sound like a place I would like to be. I would guess (Based on your being at this place) that you do not have any insurance, I would also bet that the owner of this place is way under insured. Any problem caused to you by the (as you say) bad maintenance of the place, or to others due to your "Helpful" repairs, and YOU could be up the creek. I would leave at a sedate 6 knots, but I would leave.

Not having heard the other side I can only make assumptions based on what you have said. My guess about the insurance is that if you could afford someplace better you would be there, and insurance is the first economic casualty to limited income. If you have insurance, good on you.

If you make a repair to something without the written approval of the owner you take some responsibility for that something. Good repair or bad it is now at least partially your responsibility and you could be held liable for any damage caused by that something. That is unless the owner hired you to do the work and approved the repair.